Is Pedophilia Really A Huge Problem With Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It is a really huge problem in society at large.

The JW problem is that they think they are somehow above it.

Obviously, they are not.

BTS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It is a really huge problem in society at large.

The JW problem is that they think they are somehow above it.

Obviously, they are not.

BTS

Nicely stated, Burn.

It's been a problem for millenia.

Is humanity evolving to a point where our tolerance for it is waning?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Is humanity evolving to a point where our tolerance for it is waning?

I am not sure.

But there is a spotlight that is brighter now than ever. It is more visible and public.

BTS

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I never noticed or heard of anything of the sort while I was in (most of my life).

In general, I think it becomes a problem for groups like the JWs because sex is a big no-no issue in the first place (apart from a few embarrassing talks telling you what not to do), and 'spiritually strong' people aren't supposed to have sexual urges(!). So elders are viewed by many in a naive way as being asexual; someone you can turn to alone with no bad things possibly happening because of it. Same with clergy in other churches. They're supposed to be strong, solid, non-sexual guides into your spirituality. Now, pedophilia is different, because then we're talking kids being molested, but I think that atmosphere where sex in general is very hush-hush and elders and others are very respected and not thought capable of such acts makes it easier for the few who are molesters. That, plus what's been mentioned about the lack of reporting, and the fact that if people act 'repentant', you can't really do anything but reinstate them in the congregation. I think the thought process is that Jehovah will remove them from the congregation if they aren't actually, really repentant. Yeah, that's gonna happen...

I don't think they are any worse than others, but I think most Witnesses are a little incredulous about this whole thing, because "nothing like that can ever happen among us!", you know... At least that's how it used to be.

I remember being naive like that, at least. Luckily and thankfully, I never came across a molester. I think they are less naive now, and steps are (hopefully) being taken to deal with it. I don't think the GB are slobbering pedophiles wringing their hands with glee at every pedophile case... I do think they'd like to do something about it. If they're aware of it happening(!), but they should by now.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I think the problem with the JW’s is not that they have more paedophiles but more to do with the treatment of the victim. The harm is tremendous.

There is one that goes to the hall that I used to go to. The mess that guy did to his victims lives. He never got done for it by the police, even though he abused many girls as an elder, and secular teacher. Even abused his own daughter.

His still a JW…..

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

Well said Burn...

These people infect every corner of humanity. But it is JW arrogance that causes them to think that they are above it. And it is typical that in thought control groups the individuals will try to hide or pretend that the very thing that they think they are above does not happen...it is just ironic.

• milligal
    milligal

It's not just that they think they are above it, it's that they try to cover any tracks leading to them that would reveal their own fallacy over this issue. Not only that but they also teach aspiring young witnesses that sex is frankly, dirty (don't touch it or you'll go blind) and should only be enjoyed by those that are married. So what happens to all those who aren't married? Not a far cry from the fate of the preisthood in the catholic church...

• HSS1971
    HSS1971

Should'nt this be in the "abuse" section ? Plus, this subject has been beat to death.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Yes,the problem is huge..The pedophiles are protected and the victims are demonized..There is no Justice within the WBT$,when it comes to pedophiles..Or..Much else,for that matter..................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It depends on who you are comparing them to. If you are comparing them to other cults, then no, they probably have the same proportion of child molesters. If you are comparing them to other religions, yes, I think that proportionally, there are more pedophiles in the midst of jws than most religions. If you are comparing them to society at large, yes, I think they have more pedophiles.

I wrote a research paper on child molestation years ago in college. What really surprised me was that studies show that *many men who wouldn't ordinarily molest children will do so under particular circumstances. First, they have to be living under some kind of unreasonable religious expectation of celibacy, including masturbation, (either forbidden to marry, such as priests or non-cleric men who are married to absent or ill wives). Second, they must be an autocrat, where they are the absolute authority in their household. Third, because they have such strong religious restrictions and believe they are the absolute authority in their own homes, they begin to feel a sense of entitlement. It is astounding, but many molesters think it is a lesser sin to have sex with their children than it is to have an adulterous affair with a woman.

JW men are under a strict sexual code of conduct (no masturbation, limited sexual experience within marriage) and can exert absolute authority in their households. All jws seem to me to have a sense of entitlement. So, there you have a dangerous cocktail. In addition, policies of the WTB&TS that include the two witness rule and unreasonable regulations about slander only make the problem worse.

Please note that I said "many men", not all men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit