Is Pedophilia Really A Huge Problem With Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

JWs say they are clean and pure and undefiled and not like the world but in reality there are those that do very evil things and they either have fallen through the cracks, have gotten disciplined or disfellowshipped.

We realize that just because a person says they are a Christian, it doesn't mean they will always act like one.

Regarding pedophiles, do you believe that JWs have a huge problem involving an infestation of pedos?

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

there was a pedo in the hall i went to, but he obviously has other mental problems too...

there were no witnesses to what he did, but he was disfellowshipped, and was in jail too, and has his problems there too, became violent...

he is back in the hall now, years later, he is a registered sex offender, everyone in the hall knows about it, and no one lets him near kids.

From what i "hear", stories like this are rare, unfortunately. (i mean those of pedos actually getting justice as jw)

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

You know, when I was growing up and on into my early 20's, I only heard "rumors" of "some spiritually weak" brothers "taking liberties" with "young" congregation members.

It wasn't until much later that I found out about all the covered up molestations.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I can always remember there were two guys in particular in my old cong who used to act in a way that wasn't right around girls. I am talking about tickling and being over physical in a leaching sort of way, rather than anything obvious and it was always girls, never boys with both of them. This was always noted amongst some of the rank and file but the amazing thing is that nothing was ever said and they still attend now. It was as if because they were witnesses, perhaps we were reading to much into it, whereas the reality is if these guys acted the way they did in another environment someone would at the very least have something to say.

I am also aware that in my old cong there was a case involving child abuse many years ago but the details of who was involved was a well kept secret only known to a few elders who were around at the time.

Paul

• avishai
    avishai

It's not any higher, technically, than any other group. But it becomes far higher because of the lack of reporting, hence the criminals don't go to jail, and can continue unabated, because even the cong. does'nt know what happens in a committee meeting, and everyone else who know is told to keep it quiet. So, yeah, huge problem.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I dont think that peds inhabit the JW world at a rate higher than the population at large. if that was true we would see populations of all other "deviants" represented at parrallel rates also I think

It's the stupid "2 witness" rule..... and getting DF'ed if you turn one over after the crime that is the real problem with the JW's..... plus elders not turning the criminals over ...hiding behind some false protection of clergy protection. Thats the evil.

Hill

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I think the Witnesses have as much of a problem with this as any other religion. No more. No less.

Their bigger problem is their lack of transparency in dealing with the issue and the WTS's willingness to first fight the victims in court and then pay the victims to not talk publicly about things using out of court settlements.

S4

• Nowman
    Nowman

Honestly, I have been out for 16 years. I did not even know there was a pedifile issue with the JWs until I discovered silent lamps, early 2006. Not to mention, my mom had informed me about the same time (early 2006) all these people she knew that had been molested growing up, I was so shocked.

I have spent the last couple of years being shocked at what I read here (I read more than post lately), I definitely know more about the JWs, then when I was in.

Nikki

• karter
    karter

According to John Douglas FBI profiler "I don't think child molesters can be fully rehabilitated'' So the congregation should be warned and they should not hold positions we have an elder in the next congregation that screwed his own sister when she was 15 and he deserves double honer??

• choosing life
    choosing life

I don't know if there's any way to know how high the average numbers of pedophiles are in the witnesses compared to any other group. As other have stated, it is the 2 witness rule and the hiding of pedophiles that makes it oh so wrong.

To defend them in court makes the borg just as responsible as the pedophiles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit