Who Killed The Electric Car?

by chrisjoel 56 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

Are we really saying that the common man wanted to ride trolley cars and interurbans, but that they were forced to drive cars by a hegemony of oil, car, and tire companies?

I submit that it was by far the other way around. People wanted cars, and pretty much neglected all forms of passenger rail service in favor of the private car as soon as the road system and the cars improved enough to make it practical all over the country. You don't have to look far into the history of turn-of-the-century pop American culture to understand how popular those first cars quickly became. You might well make the argument that it was this industry that did as much or more than anything else to help us win WW1 and WW2.

I further submit that had there been sufficient customers and profits for the trolley cars, those companies would have been more than happy to raise their prices and make as much money as they could on electrified railways. Trouble was, the public abandoned them in favor of the private car.

This kind of conspiricy theory is sort of like saying that Nike and the others sports shoe people ganged up and smashed down the leather shoe industry in the U.S. - in spite of the obvious fact that teenagers everywhere really wanted a pair of Florsheim wingtips.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Are we really saying that the common man wanted to ride trolley cars and interurbans, but that they were forced to drive cars by a hegemony of oil, car, and tire companies?

I submit that it was by far the other way around. People wanted cars, and pretty much neglected all forms of passenger rail service in favor of the private car as soon as the road system and the cars improved enough to make it practical all over the country. You don't have to look far into the history of turn-of-the-century pop American culture to understand how popular those first cars quickly became. You might well make the argument that it was this industry that did as much or more than anything else to help us win WW1 and WW2.

I further submit that had there been sufficient customers and profits for the trolley cars, those companies would have been more than happy to raise their prices and make as much money as they could on electrified railways. Trouble was, the public abandoned them in favor of the private car.

This kind of conspiricy theory is sort of like saying that Nike and the others sports shoe people ganged up and smashed down the leather shoe industry in the U.S. - in spite of the obvious fact that teenagers everywhere really wanted a pair of Florsheim wingtips.

Stop it James, that makes too much sense. BTS

• james_woods
    james_woods

The Professor has spoken - and he may be right.

Didn't W. C. Fields have an enormous old Packard V12?

• PEC
    PEC
    Anyone not driving a car that gets at least 50mpg hates babies.

I resemble that remark. I will give up my gas guzzling 2 seat sports cars, when they pry them, from my cold dead hands.

Philip

• james_woods
    james_woods

Professor, some of us sleep easier having these over-powered sports cars knowing that we can outrun the village mob when they start coming after us with the torches.

As I have patiently posted before, it does not matter if I have a 12 cylinder Ferrari, only drive it 600 miles this year, and only use 50 gallons of gas at a realistic 12 mpg. If you take your Prius and drive it 2500 miles, and really do get the 50 mpg, (which I rather doubt) then that is also 50 gallons of gas. I do not take into account how many SUVs you may have blocked by hyper-miling at low speed in the left lane.

It is how much gas you actually burn, not what kind of car, nor necessarily how many miles per gallon it can get.

These are choices that intelligent people can make for themselves - we do not need someone else telling us what to do with our car and gas money.

Thank you, drive safely, and you mileage may vary.

BTW - I am going to have to play the off-topic card here - the thread was about electric cars and if there was a conspiricy to kill them.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Professor, what those of us truly in the know are doing is to have a zip-on, zip-off foot cast and a handicapped mirror sign. We then park right by the door and commandeer one of those little motorized shopping carts.

This saves that wasteful cab ride, and gets us nicely back on topic, as the little shopping cart is an electric!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Actually, it does fall from the sky if you have solar panels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit