Who Killed The Electric Car?

by chrisjoel 56 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    want to bet that it will be Japanese and Chinese cars that corner the market - not GM or Ford

If it is it will be their own damned fault for not selling what people want to buy.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Vrooooom.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    HELL with the Oil Companies and the Car Companies..

The car companies are not putting out a good car. They get more money from the oil companies.

Only one, the Toyota they are trying to make a good car.

want to bet that it will be Japanese and Chinese cars that corner the market - not GM or Ford

You got that right.

• zagor
  • 5go
    5go
    Chinese cars that corner the market

BTW they are coming soon!

• amicus
    amicus

Having taken the time to read through this thread I wonder:

Suburbia" killed the electric car....and city buses and trolley cars..

Everything I've read up to this point indicates no one here can debate that on the West Coast the public transportation in the early 1900's was state of the art. Here in Sacramento, it was powered by a hydroelectric dam. Every thing I've read indicated it was clean, cheap and functional.

Just now, 100 years later we are again using electricity on those 100 year old lines. We've extended them a bit...but what we had back then can be experienced in SF by any tourist. The same private transport network existed on the entire West Coast and then rapidly vanished. Some have said it vanished when it was at it's optimum efficiency.

Why?

Anyone here know?

Save the rabid verbage for another thread, why were these lines shut down?

I'm all ears.

I'm not interested in hijaking this thread, but this question can't be answered without looking at the history of "electric" public transportation.

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

Most consumers aren't even aware that there ever was an EV-1.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Why?

Anyone here know

I haven't read all the posts but regarding the trolley system. My understanding is that they were shut down for the most part or entirely in SoCal by I believe - Union Tire. It did not benefit a tire company connected to an oil company to have a public system that did not use their product. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

This is from Wikipedia and gives a brief overview. The idea the consumer drives the corporation/company is a fallacy since the corporation/company first produces the product then markets it to the 75% who, given human nature and sophisticated PR skills, will buy into it. You see it all the time and most especially in drug ads, vehicles and credit card ads. sammieswife.

The Great American Streetcar Scandal [1] was the acquisition of streetcar systems throughout the United States, dismantling, and replacement with buses in the mid 20th century by the National City Lines (NCL) holding company, formed by General Motors, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California and Phillips Petroleum. It is alleged that NCL's companies had an ulterior motive in their purchase of streetcar systems of forcing mass use of the automobile among the U.S. population.

Convicted of violating the Sherman Antitrust Act, GM was fined $5,000 and each executive was ordered to pay a fine of $1 for a conspiracy to force the streetcar systems to buy GM buses instead of other buses (but not for dismantling the streetcar systems, which were also being dismantled by non-NCL owned systems).

• 5go
    5go

It's still strikes me as funny you'll hear anti-government rhetoric daily from the right about governmental conspiracies that haven't been proven, or blown way out of proportion. But, dare a person point out one true on the record private corporation's and or private industrial conspiracy that really did hurt America, and he(she) is a nut job lefty Communist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit