Who Killed The Electric Car?

by chrisjoel 56 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

"The American People killed it - not big oil. Middle America likes it SUVs and, pick up trucks and Hummers. If people bought the electric car in droves they would have continued to sell it because it would have made money. You can blame Big Oil all you want - it is what people buy that drives markets. That is why Gasoline in my opinion needs to remain at 4 dollars a gallon so people will start to change their driving habits."

Middle America has needs different than either coasts or Europe. To put it in perspective, almost every state in Middle America is at least the size of the country of England (Not the UK, just England) or larger. To transport our products and services, we need larger, more powerful vehicles, or else our economies go bust. To put it in perspective, say you want to get a cheeseburger with fries and a soft drink, with a rice krispie treat. The wheat is from rural Kansas, the beef is from Iowa, the wheat mill for the bread is from Minnesota, the cheese for the burger is from Wisconsin, the beef processing plant is in Missouri, the rice is from Arkansas, the pigs to make the marshmallows for the rice krispie treats are in Montana, the potatoes from the fries are from Idaho, and the corn oil to make the fries are from Illinois. The kola syrup itself for the Coke is from Africa, but imported into Louisiana since it's a major port. To make sure that the Northeast, California and most of the world gets its burgers, we need to have powerful vehicles to transport our vast amounts of natural resources.

You notice in countries such as Germany, the UK and Italy that major, large cities are only a few miles away from each other. In the U.S., they're very far away from each other, just because, again, individual states in our midsection are larger than many European countries. To put it in perspective, the same distance it would take to drive from the Netherlands to French-Spanish border, would barely clear you from Port Arthur, Texas to El Paso, Texas. That's a single state, folks. And it's not even the largest state we have.

In conclusion, we need cars to keep our country going. And because the world depends on so many of our exports and our industries, if we can't get our products across the country, the whole world goes into recession. If you doubt what I have to say, then you're probably using a Sony computer with a Linux O.S. while listening to a song by Coldplay on a Samsung MP3 Player and watching BBC. If you're doing that, good for you, you're using alternative products. But chances are, you're using a Windows O.S., a Dell or some other American based company's computer, using an IPod while listening to an American band, and you're watching the Simpsons.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Very good points, ColdRedRain. Still, the sprawling nature of the American agricultural and industrial landscape exists as it does today because, for a time, it could. Transportation energy was cheap.

In an alternate Universe where we can imagine that no such cheap energy ever existed, the regional economies and cultures (and food availability) of the North American continent would have developed along more "European" lines.

Indeed, we may yet see the end of the relatively homogeneous American landscape with its cookie cutter big box stores and fast food chains in our lifetimes should the cost of energy continue to increase over the coming decades.

Instead of promoting and prolonging automobile based suburbia, perhaps it would be wiser at some point to return to a more human scaled landscape where people get around by walking, bicycling, and various forms of public transportation. It would sure beat sitting in rush hour traffic which seems to last far longer than an hour nowadays.

Dave

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Personally, I like the idea of a car that runs on only water. There are several people in my area selling kits to convert your car to run on water as a supplement to gas (potentially doubling gas mileage), and now Japan has unveiled a prototype that runs on water only. They are looking for a Japanese automaker to make the cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9urNUFzAM

In order for the US to reduce it's dependence on foreign oil, we need to explore all the options. For example: Nanotechnology is being used to develop vastly more efficient solar cells, which would make solar power a viable option for even the less-than-sunkissed areas of the world. How about some government funding for stuff like that?? Serious funding could reduce the development period from years to months.

Don't think I'll hold my breath, however.

GGG

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Personally, I like the idea of a car that runs on only water. There are several people in my area selling kits to convert your car to run on water as a supplement to gas (potentially doubling gas mileage), and now Japan has unveiled a prototype that runs on water only. They are looking for a Japanese automaker to make the cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9urNUFzAM

Bogus.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06/15/is-genepax-for-real-a-car-that-runs-on-water-highly-unlikely/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4271579.html

BTS

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It would be cool if we could have cars that run on water mass produced and if they could be practically run, then that would be better. But the sad thing is that they would find a way to make us pay $4 a gallon for water, and we still wouldn't be any better off financially.

The problem is not supply or demand it is corporate greed and speculation. There is plenty of oil, even here in the USA.

• PEC
    PEC

The hydraulic hybrid, is going to kill the electric car. Hydraulic accumulators can store 500 kW/kg, the best and very expensive, battery technology today can store 3 kW/kg, hydraulic has 166.67 times the storage capacity batteries. An electric car that has 100 mile range with batteries would have 16,667 mile range with the same weight of hydraulic storage.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6549294.html

Philip

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I really hope the water car isn't bogus, but I guess we'll see in time. I know someone who is planning convert his car to run on water and gas, so I'm very interested to see how that goes! GGG

• zagor
    zagor

Air power vehicles have been around for few years. It is not an impossible concept and in my opinion would be safer than hydrogen based if we can work out few bugs..

Actually, have a look this video it might give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-A3XHFT5qc

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I would like for everyone who believes in Water Fuelled Cars, as in "cars or motors which purport to extract their energy directly from water, a process which would violate the first and/or second laws of thermodynamics", to please invest all of their life savings into these companies that are promoting cars that run on water. Please, do not seriously research their claims. Accept at face value the notion that you can get "free" energy if only you will buy their plans. While you are at it, why not become a Breatharian? You don't really need food or water to survive. It's all a great conspiracy of the major food companies...

Dave

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

want to bet that it will be Japanese and Chinese cars that corner the market - not GM or Ford

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit