what was the one sound bite or comment that helped you see the light?

by siy 41 Replies latest jw friends

• *summer*
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Good Morning, Its Janurary 1, 1976.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Among just about everything else, I heard at the 1998 Great Boasting Session (the two day one) open with "Jehovah is the happiest Being in the universe". I thought they could just close the damn thing with the true sentence "And it's because He makes everyone else miserable", and it would have been the shortest a$$embly (and the most to-the-point) on record. Yet they let it ramble on the whole two days, so they could fill the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

• TreadClimberMaster
    TreadClimberMaster

Did anyone see the YouTube video Hamilcarr posted on this thread. Towards the end the man giving the talk makes an illustration about a guy who had OCD and decided to kill himself, so he shot himself in the head. The poor fellow didn't die, but he just so happened to blow away the part of his brain that made him OCD. The brother then stretched this already flimsy illustration to point out why college is so bad and JW youth should not attend. He says that while some can survive college, not all will, just as some shoot themselves and die, while others shoot themselves and cure their OCD. Don't do it, he warns. It was stupid illustrations like this that I just couldn't follow that made me laugh and doubt at the same time.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

I once heard an elder expounding on living forever in the new system. Since I'm a Sci-fi fan I have a better appreciation than most of the enourmous size of the universe and I'm able to imagine better than most just how long "forever" really is. That's whart first got me thinking something isn't right

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

During a Public Talk about marriage, the speaker said something like, "how can a brother who's unfit to carry a microphone be a good husband". I knew that was a load of crap. There are plenty of men who are not Witnesses who are fine husbands, better than many in the borg! WTBS stipulations and moral character are NOT related!!!!

• oompa
    oompa
    gymbob:

For me, I remember my dad and I talking about a WT article from, (I think) Nov. 89' that said the "End" would surely be here before the end of this century. I remember thinking, "Wow, that's only 11 years away!"

Then, in Feb. 1990 he shows me the new bound volume that just came in, and the comment is completely removed from it! He just sort of looked at me with a, "I'm not sure what to think about this" look.

Can anyone provide the specific issue, article page, or a scan of the original?.......thanks..........oompa

• Troggle
    Troggle

I can't say it was really anything..I was tired of being controlled and told what to do as a "rebellious youth". To be honest untill I started reading threads here even though I have been gone a long time I still considered it the truth. The teachings at least. I took thier word and never did any outside research. The reason I never went back is because I felt the the congregations around here had lost Gods blessing. Everything was about the "politics" of the congregation. You had to impress the right people and say and do the right things to not feel like a sinner.

On the other hand when I was younger my sister who was never baptized came home for a visit. It was a visit that had been planned weeks ahead. Since she was raised a wittness as well when she had become kinda disfellowshipped because they used to do that sort of thing to unbaptized publishers as well. It was called something differant though. But "new light" had come out and it was determined that people that were unbaptized didn't fall in the same as baptized so we were allowed to talk to her again for a while. Then about a week before she came to visit with her new husband and her 2 kids (one of whom I hadn't even met yet) they flipped again and said we couldn't talk to her. We went all week while she was there as if nothing was wrong then the last day she was here my parents sat all of us down and pulled out the watchtower and proceeded to tell my sister how much fun they had while she was here but AGAIN we can't talk to her anymore because thats what the newest watchtower says. They sent my sister away crying after a really good week of seeing her. Deep down I hated the society for that. I was 16. I missed my sister. Then a few years later low and behold they flip flopped again. I thought to myself, "would you make up your mind, can I see my sister or not? If you tell me a year from now that I can't I am gonna puke."

As it is now my parents can spend as much time with my sister as they want because she was never dunked but they don't speak to me, my brother or my other sister because we folded and got dunked when we were kids. Well they aren't supposed to anyway. Aparently things have changed since I was DF because they talk to us now but don't spend a lot of time with us. They can't like come over for dinner and socalize but they can be parents again I guess. I don't know it still confuses me!

• ataloa
    ataloa
    For me, it was that idiotic notion that the human heart - literally, the blood-pumping heart - had a sort of thought process of it's own.

James, you mean they had an assembly part on this? How embarrassing. I remember reading about that in an old publication and bringing it up in conversation; got my head bitten off.

For me, it was no one thing; just bits and pieces over time. The comment that helped me most was perhaps the one ringing inside my head as I walked out the door of my last meeting - "you'll know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Troggie, I'm sorry that your family was done that way. I once read on an another site a comment made by an ex-JW about the doctrine of "old" and "new" light. He said that the Holy Spirit must have been using a dimmer switch there were so many flip flops in teachings. Although I'm not a JW, I think I finally got tired of smelling doo-doo when I asked my teacher once and for all whether or not JWs believed that Jesus' death was for everyone? She said no, but that "...his death was beneficial to others in the Kingdom in other ways." I found that really odd because that book we were studying from, "What Does The Bible Really Teach?" misleads readers. In chapter 4, p.37 and chapter 5, p. 47, nowhere does it state or even hint at Jesus dying for only a few. These chapters speak in general terms. I can imagine someone feeling as though a bombshell has been dropped when they discover AFTER hooking up with the organization that, "Sorry, he didn't die for you, just a select few. You're just assed-out."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit