what was the one sound bite or comment that helped you see the light?

by siy 41 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I was at an assembly and the night before the session I had been in the hotel flipping through the channels and happened to hit TBN (trinity broadcast network) and they had a big assembly going on and they had three people up there giving "experiences" and it caught my eye so I watched a few minutes of it, no biggie. The next day I was listening to three people give experiences and one of them was almost exactly the same... It was almost word for word!

And I thought... "This is a lie, this is a lie and it's NO different from those liars on TBN..." I think it was morning on sat. I got up and walked out and other than one memorial I've never been in a KH or convention since...

• sacolton
    sacolton

I think it's safe to say all the convention boasting sessions were scripted to meet the WTBTS approval.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This may be a forgotten part of the "old new light", and I think they have abandoned it now - but, for the record:

For me, it was that idiotic notion that the human heart - literally, the blood-pumping heart - had a sort of thought process of it's own. And, it was usually an evil thought process...encouraging young people to look up skirts, become wankers, drink whisky, drive sports cars, and such things. This was expanded to the point where the kidneys were also supposed to have some emotional impact on your thinking.

One assembly had an hour talk devoted to this idea. I had to make a big fiberglass heart model that could light up from the inside; a companion brain model would also light up - and the two were used to argue whether or not the young brother was going to ask a worldly girl out on a date or some such.

I complained to the CO about the absurdity of it all, and this is what he told me: "well, I know the heart has a thought process because the first time I was in bed with my new wife, my heart started beating much faster..." I am as serious as a heart attack - that is what he really said to me.

I simply could not believe that they were actually teaching such mindless drivel as if it were the given word. And as if we had not already provided the world with enough ammunition to prove we were idiots and the laughing stock of human society.

• strawberry cake
    strawberry cake

'Keep up with the present truth'

XXX SC

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

For me its was a CO's comment.... I was helping a sister who was getting problems from an Elder, of course the Elder didn't like me helping her out so I got problems from the other Elders, and the CO said to me.... " if the Edelrs couldn't help her, you should've...(helped her) " of course he didn't mean to say that I was able to help her, but even if I was able to help her in any case i shouldn't tried to help her... greast love! ... well after that i went on the interent fro the frist time...and the rest is histroy.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I saw a bumper sticker that said "since I gave up hope I feel better." Sealed the deal for me!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

When I heard "Beware Independent Thought" I knew I was in a cult.

• knock knock
    knock knock

james_woods;

I vaguely remember the convention with the plastic heart and brain. Somewhere in CA but I don't remember exactly. I was quite young but my older brother remembers it and was telling me recently how crazy it was. He was barely a teenager and had way more sense than these idiots. I'm sure I just thought it was cool to have some visuals and let my mind wander rather than listen.

• gymbob
    gymbob

For me, I remember my dad and I talking about a WT article from, (I think) Nov. 89' that said the "End" would surely be here before the end of this century. I remember thinking, "Wow, that's only 11 years away!"

Then, in Feb. 1990 he shows me the new bound volume that just came in, and the comment is completely removed from it! He just sort of looked at me with a, "I'm not sure what to think about this" look.

That's when I first started THINKING.....

• little witch
    little witch

For Me it wasn't a sound bite, nor a single thing said. It was hearing drivel over and over and over and over again that there are different "classes" of people. Different rules for the different classes. And mostly the insinuation that I was stupid without the "spiritual food".... People are not in "classes", the bible clearly states that God is "no respecter of persons". I learned that on my own with a few good comments from more guided and wise persons at a thankfully early age. That made more sense to me then, and does now. LW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit