Now Witnesses saying "Gas Prices" show we are in the Tribulation!!

by Witness 007 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes it's not offical but Witnesses here are saying that Gas prices and increased cost of living show that Armagedon is sooooo close.....haven't they heard of World War 1 and 2 when people didn't have sugar, gas, coffee or anything? Armagedon didn't come....we bounced back. China in the 1920's and Ukraine during the War people "hunted" children to eat! We bounced back. Get over it! We will survive as always...we've had it too good for too long!

• sacolton
    sacolton

Don't forget the gas shortage in the 70s.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

That doesn't surprise me. I've heard things like that ever since I was a little girl and something goes wrong, it's because the end is right on us...

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Scarlet colored gas pump?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I suppose they don't look beyond the borders os the US when analyzing the approach of Armageddon. In Venezuela, they pay 10 cents a gallon due to gov. subsidization, but in the Netherlands, where its taxed heavily, its about $10 a gallon. What does that mean as far as Armageddon is concerned?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    In Venezuela, they pay 10 cents a gallon due to gov. subsidization, but in the Netherlands, where its taxed heavily, its about $10 a gallon. What does that mean as far as Armageddon is concerned?

That it's already started in the Netherlands and hasn't reached Venezuela yet.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

To some JWs , if somebody farts it means armageddon is on the way

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Look out! I'ts coming! The farts are the first sign!

• yknot
    yknot

oh it couldn't be corporate greed.....

Maybe the WTS should divvy up that 90+ million that got for the Bossert for a FS account for each worldwide congregation, or give each KH one of Dale's cars Tata motors Nano altand empower those faithful pioneers with a extra stipend to do the preaching only..

• Alguém
    Alguém

Actually, being an economist, the reason of the inflated gas prices is simple.

Human greed.

Allow me to explain. The supply of Gas remains but the aggregate demand has increased. That is due to the emergent economies like China and India seeking out more and more gas. However that is not the main reason of gas prices being high.

Speculation is. Investors are buying what Americans call Futures. Those futures consist, amongst other things, of oil. Futures allow investors to buy commodities. Now they are buying lots of oil, pressuring demand and making oil a scarcer commodity. Being scarce and with demand rocketing above supply the Law of Supply and Demand gets into effect and oil prices increase in order to meet a balance point between demand and supply. The problem here is that the investors keep buying the futures because they know that if they keep buying the prices will keep increasing and they can sell them at a higher profit margin.

Basically human greed. At its worst. Armageddon? Nope, not really, just plain human nature showing its face again.

However here's something funny. Economists do have an Armageddon event, so to speak. It is called Peak Oil. I urge everyone to research it. Some in our community of scholars believe we are heading towards a Peak Oil situation. I hope not but my experience and rationality warns me that we may indeed be heading towards it if the speculators aren't stopped soon.

Anyway if a JW comes and says, "Gas prices mean Armageddon, come with us if you want to live." tell them the above about supply, demand and futures. Nothing like a calm, rational explanation in the face of blind fear and hysteria to break the spell, even if for a brief moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit