The body of elders are worthless today!

by JK666 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JK666
    JK666

Hi,

Back in the old days, I remember when the elders actually cared about the flock. I was involved with helping older sisters, (octegenarians, widows) to take them to the grocery store and help them each week.

I remember helping when an older one would fall, and helping clean up the blood, and get there home in order from their return from the hospital. Just a lot of good works.

That stuff is out the window now. If it is not arranged by the R&F, it isn't going to happen. It is still done locally, but by good people of the rank & file.

Is that the way it is all over?

JK

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Years ago when I was still going many of the elders supported the effort, but it really amounted to a good select few of

caring sisters, that would cook, arrange and bring meals to the sick and elderly. Often it was certain brothers I knew that out

of the goodness of their heart anonymously would pay for somethings to help many families in need. It often depends

on the community for what gets done. And the actual big hearts of the better few with in the Cong. It seems there is some help now

but not the way it use to be. People are stressed, and financially not able to do as much as they once did.

h4o

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

My experience as a witness was over years ago however, I will say this-there is a huge difference in Elders and BOE's. This can make a world of difference in a congregation. In twenty five years I attended eight different congregations due to my employment taking my family and I on serveral moves. The first congregation that I was associated with before I was baptised was full of love and help for everyone. The second congregration I went to after being baptized was so caught up in old ideas and internal struggles there was no time to take care of anyone. The third one was even worse...really bad. The forth one was a great congregation where my wife and I helped many older ones with a number of things, it however, was a very large congregation so it was easy to for older ones or ones with personal challenges of one kind or another to just get lost and overlooked. The BOE's really set the example. "The speed of the leader sets the pace of the pack". If the BOE has a tyrent for a PO it's a bumpy ride for those trying to get help as everything goes under the governing bodies microscope and to hell with compassion, manners, or genuine concern for others.

• VM44
    VM44

An Elder's job is to manage the local congregateion according to the instructions of The Watchtower.

They have more important things to take care of than helping people with their personal problems. (I heard this from a PO once so it cannot be denied.)

• sacolton
    sacolton

It's more or less a witch hunt these days. To snuff out the apostate thinkers.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I know, just a few weeks ago, here in COLUMBIA, MO I spoke with several elders to try and get my mom some help, All they needed to do was reassure her that her mobile home wasn't going to cave in. She's gotten rather paranoid in her years.

They kept passing the buck, and finally "referred her" to the local voluntary action center.

THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Crazyblondeb--you and I are abou 2 hours away from one another (I'm in the KC/Independence area).

It had always been my experience that it was the women who were expected to take care of ill or incapacitated ones (meals, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.).

The men would mow a lawn.

The Elders would take credit for arranging everything of course, but the reality was the R&F were the ones who made it happen.

When I helped my folks take care of my Alzheimer's grandmother (long time JW), their congregation never helped one iota. Once, several elderly sisters came over for tea and cookies with my grandmother, but I never once saw any other member of the congregation for 3 years until she died.

Then of course they came out in droves for the JW Infomercial (funeral) and Grief Buffet (food after the funeral).

• JK666
    JK666

LZ and CBD,

Not all of us brthers were that uncaring.

JK

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

JK, you have a kind heart, no matter how gruff you like to appear sometimes .

I really feel this is an area that the WT falls short in, actually "shepherding" the flock, caring for them as people, individuals. Churches have committees in place to make sure people are cared for, in whatever way is necessary, with the WT it is hit and miss, some get help, many others do not.

All the good ones are here on JWD now.

BB

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

In my experience, many years ago, it was always the R&F that did the "taking care of people" in the congregation and it was usually the women. I grew up in 3 different congregations and it also greatly varied between them as to the personal care that members received. One of the congregations we were in couldn't have cared less if people were sick or had surgery or needed help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit