The smell

by John Doe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Oh yes, rollercoasters and hot ashphalt!

I grew up in Vancouver, BC which is home to one of the great old wooden rollercoasters. I first rode it when I was 10 and snuck out of the assembly with my friend which was in the coliseum neighboring the fair grounds. I was just tall enough to ride it. Every summer, our parents took us to that fair to ride the rides and see all the new stuff. The smell of grease on metal, old wood, sweet cotton candy, candy apples, burgers and hot dogs sizzling on the grill, fried doughnuts and pigs ears all melding together in one great olfactory crescendo carried on the salty air from the adjoining Pacific Ocean inlet. It's a child's version of an orgasm! Right in the heart of the city!

Cog

• choosing life
    choosing life

The smell of the dirt in sping when planting a garden.

The smell of fresh cut grass and honeysuckle in the summer.

The smell of decaying leaves in the fall.

The smell of my mom's baking in the winter, fresh cinnamon rolls.

Smell is definately the strongest link to memories of the past. I often remember things I had forgotten from long ago from a random scent.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love the way the rain makes the earth smell

• lancelink
    lancelink

walking into a barn which has just been filled with fresh hay.

• whitman
    whitman

My odour-evoked memories arise from string - brown string, and mulberry leaves.

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

I'm reminded of my childhood when I smell something like my mom's Sat morning pancakes.

She made these pancakes with cornmeal added to it. It gave the pancakes crispy little edges.

I used to eat tons.

DJP

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I thought this would be another scratch and sniff thread....

I love the smell of puppies, and there is nothing like the smell of puppy breath! Also, I like the smell of Doggie paws, it reminds me of Fritos.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo
    I love the way the rain makes the earth smell

Thats what I am talking about Mrs Jones! Thought of something else - The smell of "Jasmine" and "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" in early spring - this scent is guaranteed to make me happy because winter is over and summer is on the way - my mom always made sure she planted these in whichever house we lived in growing up! What about the smell of toast, but only when made by someone other than yourself - have you ever noticed that? This is such a pretty thread!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The smell of rain on freshly cut grass reminds me of watermelon.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

When I was 9 years old, I lived in Cleveland, Ohio for several months. Cleveland has this funny smell. Some kind of industrial smell, which I can't describe. Every time that I was around that city, even if I were asleep, I would wake up and say we're in Cleveland. I was always right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit