The smell

by John Doe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Wet cool earth and decaying fall leaves...possibly one of my favorite smells.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I grew up in the city too, but we had a back yard. I remember the smell of lying in the fresh cut grass, picking sweet buttercups and making them into chains for garlands and necklaces. Also, picking dandelions and squeezing the bitter smelling and tasting "milk" out of the stems.

• John Doe
    John Doe

How about hot asphalt and the wooden smell of roller coasters at amusement parks?

• Casper
    Casper

Walking thru an Apple Orchard in full bloom.

Cas

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

growing up in the city: The gasoline smell of poorly tuned autos. Wet concrete from shop owners washing down the concrete area in front of their stores. overflowing trashcans near the entrance to my school. Ah yes the memories

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

That looks to be a feild full of wheat (or other grain) straw too me... but I get your drift.

Sweaty horses do it for me.

J

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Sweaty horses do it for me.

Hill! I never woulda thunk it!

• beksbks
    beksbks

I've moved so much in my life, it's really not fair to say I grew up in an urban environment. I spent the bulk of my youth in Santa Barbara California, I had Volleyball at the beach as my PE class And I've almost always had a yard. Even when I lived in the middle of San Francisco, I lived across the street from Golden Gate park.

John Doe, I think living in a city is the BEST way to be in touch with the world

As far as smells that remind me of my childhood, the only ones I can think of are a pot of beans cooking on the stove, and tortillas frying.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

actually that did spark a memory. We always had pinto beans in the house so the smell of pinto beans boiling was very familiar. Or the smell of tomatoes and chilies burning on a stove

• *summer*
    *summer*

The smell...

...of the lilac tree after the rain.

...of my mother's spaghetti sauce simmering all day on the stove.

...of my grandfather's pipe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit