The smell

by John Doe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    John Doe, I think living in a city is the BEST way to be in touch with the world

Depends on what "world" you're talking about. The ephemeral, fleeting, synthetic world of man, or the world that will survive and be here long after we're gone.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Summer, sounds lovely

Wha Happened! Hehe I swear we had a pot of pintos on the stove about 4 days out of the week. One time, I was trying to play hookie from school, and I took a thermometer and held it over the pot, just in the steam. That sucker popped immediately. Horrors. Not only did I have to own up that I wasn't sick, my mom had to throw out a whole pot of beans.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Sweaty horses do it for me.

Ok it sounds silly but I totally agree...something about a horse smell and the combo of saddle leather, and grain...hell even their dusty saddle blankets...I do miss riding sometimes.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Yes indeed, beksbks...it WAS lovely.

And now, I have my own lilac tree in the backyard.

I still follow my mother's spaghetti sauce "secret" recipe.

And my grandfather remains a precious memory.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

The smell of brand new stationery - when I started school in Grade 1, we all had really hard cardboard suitcases that had a special scent of their own.

The smell of rain coming - I dont know if it is an African thing but you can smell the rain before it gets here. The smell after the rain, of dust settled.

The smell of my mother after her evening bathroom routine - all creamy and fresh. I think of it often as I do the same thing now.

Thanks JD! Nice thread.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm always amazed at how strongly scent is intertwined with memory--the relationship seems closer than any other sense. For instance, I remember the scent of my first girlfriend's hair--the shampoo she used, and any time I smell it a lot of memories come flooding back. We are weird animals.

• Quandry
    Quandry

honeysuckle vines and freshly mowed grass.

Biscuits made from scratch with molasses covering them. Mmmmmmm.

• Mincan
    Mincan
    I'm always amazed at how strongly scent is intertwined with memory--the relationship seems closer than any other sense. For instance, I remember the scent of my first girlfriend's hair--the shampoo she used, and any time I smell it a lot of memories come flooding back. We are weird animals.

Perhaps it is because the sense of smell is the only sense that does not pass through the thalamus on it`s way to the cerebral cortex (touch, sight, sound, and taste do).. it has it`s own processing centre (the olfactory bulb).

• flipper
    flipper

JOHN- I love the smell of fresh grass ! No not the kind you're thinking about ! Fresh grasses in the Sierra Nevada mountains while hiking. Fresh cut lawns are nice too. Makes me feel nice, clean and sexy ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

When I was a little girl, my father was a heavy equipment mechanic. He would come home smelling like motor oil, axle grease, and sweat. At the time it smelled disgusting and he would chase my sister and I around the house cause we didn't want to get dirty. Now that he is the supervisor and all of his employees are doing the manual labor, he just smells like sweat. I actually miss that greasy smell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit