What was wrong with the 'occultic green' bibles?

by Gill 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gill
    Gill

What was wrong with the 'green bible'?

I understand (rightly or wrongly) that the 'green' had occult connotations that some did not approve of.

Is this true and were the early JWs too involved with hidden, esoteric, occult meaning that 'others' found uncomfortable and so they had to go to the sobre black bibles?

• Gill
    Gill

I forgot to say that this green colour was pointed out to me many times during my 35 years of being a dubbie by people on the doors.

They found it strange that I didn't understand what was so bad about having a green bible.

'Don't you understand where your bible comes from?' was something I remember being asked many times but thought nothing of it except that these people must be 'friends of Satan'!

• sir82
    sir82

How about maybe, they got a really good deal from a green vinyl supplier for a number of years?

You seem quite desperate to pin some sort of heinous occultic scandal on Bethel.

As noted in the "brothel" thread you started: There's plenty enough of real scandal to dig into, why try to make up stuff that just isn't there?

• blondie
    blondie

I just figured the WTS got a deal on green cover stock. I never heard that green was an occultic color in all the 45 years I was a jw.

But I have heard about Greber and the spiritistic overtones.

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/wtgreber.html

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes the green bible otherwise known as "the Exorcist version." Nothing occult. In the 60's and 70's spew green colors were all the rage.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I never heard that either.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

The horrid color would have a hynotic effect on the brain, therefore leaving people open to suggestion and stupid scriptures.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It was freddy's anti traditional black bible statement. It's the 'we aren't like the churches' and 'our bible isn't like the church bibles' protest.

S

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

I also have not heard of this. I noticed that most of the sisters in the hall nowadays have the burgundy bible. Feminine color perhaps?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    It was freddy's anti traditional black bible statement. It's the 'we aren't like the churches' and 'our bible isn't like the church bibles' protest.

S

That's the story I heard.

Stupid. Megalomaniac. Pseudo-prophet.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit