Singer Songwriters who should be household names....

by hillary_step 178 Replies latest social entertainment

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

That's like saying, "Your definition of Jazz is too narrow, I think we should include songs with disco beats and new wave in the jazz category. After all you don't want to be too narrow in your definition of jazz do you?"

As the definition of words expand, at some point they become a useless phrase that doesn't describe anything at all, or that describes everything. You need warrant for your statement I'm afraid. Just you saying it does not make it so, hate to inform you. It's just an opinion. My post is based on fact. I could care less where we take this term from here, I have no emotional investment and no opinion to offer on the subject. I am simply relaying my exposure to the term from informed persons in the industry. It is, after all, an industry term originally. Some have called "singer/songwriter" the new label for folk. So, you are saying that we need to expand the term "folk music" to include Steven Tyler?

When they give Grammy's out for singer/songwriter of the year, do they include all who sing and write songs in that category? Are you saying you want them to? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having categories in the first place, to differentiate between styles?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Ms. Mckducket, I don't think anything you've posted is "mediocre" as a matter of fact, I think most of it is brilliant...

Thanks Avishai!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Here is what Hillary said when he started this thread:

This thread is dedicated to singer songwriters who influence the rest of the best, but are seldom known

He put a qualifier on it for what he was looking for.

• avishai
    avishai

So, Shawn, would people like Isaac hayes fit into your definition? Smokey Robinson? Because, strangely, they're not on that list. However in their bio's on wikipedia, they're BOTH referred to as singer-songwriters...Hmmm

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

What is the term used by the music industry for "non-singer/writers" for people that sing or write other than "folk music"?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Wow, you really started something here, hilary step! Loving some of the new people I'm getting introduced to here.

Amicus - You should listen to that station. If you're into hearing some great new music. And I loved Moby Grape - the early years. 8:05 is one of my favorite pieces. Luscious guitar work. And I have the album with the infamous cover - one of the guys giving the finger. Also was a Pentangle, Renbourn and Jansch fan. I'm a guitarist.

But hs, I have to disagree that we might sound stuck in the past - the list of singer/songwriters I gave you has performers from their 20s to their 60s - maybe older. Some of them are just starting their careers. I don't believe age has a hell of a lot to do with it. And I also think there is some great new music being written. Bands like The Blood Oranges, Twisted Still, The Green Cards, Red Molly in addition to the other list.

The other thing that you really started was that last night I was talking with Lori - my girl there in the avatar - about this thread and we ended up listening to tons of our music for hours last night. I've been learning some new songs - Eaglesmith, Josh Ritter, Leonard Cohen, some other stuff new and old – so I played and sang those for her and then we just started listening to song after song from these performers that I mentioned. Turned into a great - and VERY romantic – night. Great music and great sex is a winning combination!

Thanks for the thread!!

S4

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Amicus

Taj Mahal

That name puts a smile on my face. I don't know much about his history though; had no idea he'd ever teamed up with Ry Cooder.

There are two songs by Taj Mahal, both instrumentals, just him and his guitar, that I jokingly tell people "sound like life should feel". Seriously, if your life feels like those songs, you're having a damn sweet life. I doubt seriously I could find a youtube of the songs though, since they are just simple instrumentals.

• amicus
    amicus

Six,

"sound like life should feel".

I like it.

Great Taj link. He was the first artist I ever saw play a "National" guitar. That was at a friday night dance at a local Catholic High School. I'm pretty sure he was at least partly responsible for the "National" revival. I saw him just a few years ago at a small local club, maybe 150 in attendence. He just gets better and better.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Amicus, go onto his page linked above, and listen to track #4 (railroad bill) on his mp3 player application; it's one of the two instrumental songs I mentioned. Not many people can play with that sort of urgent subtlety (for lack of a better descriptor....which is slightly differnent than subtle urgency, lol).

• BurnTheShips

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit