Wife attending DC, what can I expect when she returns?

by insearchoftruth 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

My wife has recently been contacted by a pesky meddling sister about restarting a bs that she stopped almost a year ago and she is going to be attending the assembly in Hampton, VA in a couple of weeks.

I have no idea what these are like, and was wondering if you all could provide me some read ahead material so I know what areas they will hit on, as well as be able to prepare me for her attitude and mood on her return, not only each evening, but also after the event is over.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Well, she'll probably be love bombed. Everyone who knows the woman she studies with will hug her, welcome her, and introduce her to more people who will hug her and welcome her.

She might get pumped up if she hears about all the "growth" and actually believes it.

She might be impressed when they read "letters" "written" by worldly people to headquarters praising the JWs. The authenticity of these letters is suspect.

Or, she might be appalled at it.

Personally I find DC horrendously boring, painful, and insulting to my intelligence. I hope your wife will find it similarly.

• OnTheWayOut
  • insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I have heard of the love bombing aspect of it, she is not a touchy person, so not sure how that will go over with her, but I know she will talk about how nice everyone was......gag.

She has been taking college classes for a few years now, so I really hope that her critical thinking skills are developed enough to look past the surface level bs and dig into some of the details. I have found that on the surface a lot of the stuff looks good, but no matter how much you polish the turd, it is still just a turd.

Is there a list of bible verses that will be used in their unique proof texting way that I can at least read for the context?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

And how often are these assemblies held?? Thanks for the list of the earlier threads, very interesting...disturbing all at once!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Insearchof,

I am really sorry to hear this. Things seemed to be going very well for you.

she'll be love bombed for certain.

I would provide her with a notepad and tell her it's to write down what she thinks about what the speakers or others are saying - it's not to take notes, but to note her feelings. this could provide valuable insight to her and yourself later when you discuss them (if you do).

Do you think she'll use this as a stepping stone to starting up her study program again?

I'm really really sorry to hear this.

TL

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am really not all that sure what happened, but I guess for someone who has been involved on the periphery of the org for so long, it is not all that easy to just completely pull back.

She has had a very relaxed schedule this past semester and I know one day I was home some sister's in field service stopped by, I just said thanks and let them go on their merry way, I know that she has had at least one fs visit because I saw new mags on the floor and it was by the sister who had conducted her previous study, who is a very nice lady, but to me carries way too much baggage....but that is aside from the point. My wife has always been interested in the gloom/doom news stories and lately with the election upcoming there are of course a lot of stories on all of the problems the US is facing and how much candidate A or candidate will be able to help out. So I am sure that the 'promise - gag' of a paradise earth is just too large of a carrot for her not to take the bait. From what I have read on the other posts that OTWO linked to, there is some pretty heavy education bashing that goes on, well she is very close to earning her associates degree, as well as her bachelors degree, so I am hoping that does not sit well with her, she has always encouraged her family which is 'in the truth' to pursue education, make themselves better and she has been saving for college for the child as well, I will get concerned if she comes back with a different view of education.

I believe this will kick in to a new study schedule for at least the month of August until she starts her classes again in the fall, and unfortunately could continue beyond that because I believe her schedule will have huge openings in it for the fall. One plus is she is taking a Tuesday/Thursday evening class in the fall, so that will rule out those meeting nights and my wife normally gets bored with things pretty quick, so if I can round up the worldly friends she will get tired of the witnesses soon.

Will post on the group when I get the chance, blocked from that area of yahoo at the office.

Any advice, information and encouragement is requested!!!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Rounding up the worldly friends is a good idea. Made me laugh thinking about some emergency phone call tree with worldly friends answering from all over the country and swooping in to ask your wife out for a ladies night.

Beat the witnesses to the punch. Arrange for a regularly scheduled activity. Perhaps a class at a local community center or a college course that you would both enjoy that's not pertinent to her major/minor. Don't just set up a date night because the WTS is waaaaay more important that a date night (take it from me) but make it a committed thing to an outside entity. Perhaps her worldly (hahah using that term) can help you plan or arrange something.

Oh and you could plan some weekend trips away in the month of august and september. that always helps.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Her not having 'regular work' has limited her contact with people, and she is not one to venture out of the house on her own. Part of the appeal of the jw sister is that so far she is coming to her. I think if she starts filling up my wife's schedule, she will start to push back.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, they are held once a year. The many threads are because they are staggered from May (when children are supposed to still be in school) through the end of August.

Now, what to expect? If she is not educated against it, you should expect to hear about all the "spiritual food" (spiritual monosodium glutamate) that was served there, and that everyone should be pioneering now or they are going to die real soon. Chances are that she will be looking forward to studying more of their littera-trash. Left to their devices, she will soon be going to all the boasting sessions three times a week (soon to be twice a week plus an evening of field circus).

I would, in the short term, expect to see some items in the garbage soon after. Any records, tapes, CDs, or videos that have questionable material will be tossed. There is a good chance that there will be new attitudes (and not good ones, either) about sex practices. And there is a chance that certain articles of clothing will find their way into the garbage after. Books and magazines that promote astrology or worldly viewpoints could also end up there.

Besides, there will be the waste of money. It takes gas to get there. And then there are motel expenses, eating out, and of course the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund donations. There will be wasted time as well. All of which will put a crimp on your budget in the future (every penny put in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund or in the gas tank to get there is a penny that cannot be used for something worthwhile or saved). Best bet: Try to get her a paying job, preferably one that takes her away from the boasting sessions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit