We All Have Our Stories - We Are All Survivors in Our Own Ways

by flipper 23 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

In attending the apostafest this weekend in South Lake Tahoe it became apparent to me that we all held a common bond in getting out of the Jehovah's Witnesses cult ; and yet many of us made our escape to freedom in different ways ! Some people stopped going to meetings cold turkey, like myself, something just clicks in you after the buildup over years of tension and abuse of justice - just couldn't take it anymore ! Other people do a slow gradual fade , some get DFed, or dissassociate, some even get their families out with them, some are the only members of their family who have exited the cult.

Some I met have stayed busy getting an education, pursuing business interests, making new friends outside the cult who are " unconditional " in their friendships ! We had a great time getting to know 18 this weekend who are trying to move on from the witnesses, and are doing a great job of doing so ! Personally I try to just be a positive person keeping myself busy with running my business, new hobbies that I have dove into , such as collecting art, hiking, reading, collecting music with my wife, playing Scrabble with my wife, fishing, and just taking ONE day at a time enjoying each and every day for it's own uniqueness .

So- I ask you folks - What positive steps or things are you doing to move on after being in the Jehovah's Witnesses ? How have YOU survived and moved on in getting re-involved with society in general outside of the witness cult ? What helps you survive ? At times a drink will help, however it's a temporary diversion. Vacations are nice too, like we had this weekend , but we all have to go back to jobs and the real life . Love and relationships are a wonderful way to move on as well ! Love is the answer- John Lennon said that and the Beatles- and I believe it ! As always, peace and love to you all . As always I look forward to your takes and responses ! Peace out to all of you, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    So- I ask you folks - What positive steps or things are you doing to move on after being in the Jehovah's Witnesses ? How have YOU survived and moved on in getting re-involved with society in general outside of the witness cult ? What helps you survive ?
    Vacations are nice too, like we had this weekend , but we all have to go back to jobs and the real life . Love and relationships are a wonderful way to move on as well ! Love is the answer

I am not yet re-involved with society, but I am really close. I meet with ex-JW's and I take
    a lot of vacations. The ex-JW's really help me personally. The vacations help me and my
    wife to enjoy ourselves without too many JW issues.

Because I have had enough of the bitterness, I started counseling. I am an avid reader of
    books. I went through the cult books, the anti-JW books, the books critical of the Bible.
    I am now just starting on positive books on being content and learning to enjoy myself.

I will be educating myself on how to write and I will begin my secondary career as a
    writer. It won't be for financial success that I write, but for myself. Although I won't mind
    writing a best-seller, it's not a primary concern.

• flipper
    flipper

Another turd in a punchbowl ? ( As coined by JK ) !! So do you people believe love will help us survive ?? LOL! Does this help you survive ? Does this help you survive ? Perhaps for some of us this helps us , just being here. What has helped you through your post JW existence ? I thought if we share our different ways of moving on- it would help others just getting out ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- I'm glad you have developed good friendships on the board too. It certainly has helped me as well, getting to know others and how they roll. You and your wife have enjoyed some nice vacations and that is so cool ! It can really bring you closer and get the needed R&R as well ! Books are informative too, I enjoy always having at least 1 book going that I'm reading too

• justhuman
    justhuman

Nice subject Mr Flipper.....The most hard thing it is when you are born JW, your family and ALL of your relatives are JWs, and all your friends.

In my case I'm completely alone..after being disfellowshiped 3 years ago I find it hard, to continue with my new life. I have separated, plus I have 2 children in that cult. They are small in age, but relatives, plus my ex-wife are doing there best to turn them into robots. It is such a huge power they hold and being the only one who dared to "leave" God's Organization and becoming an apostate was a shock to them.

As you know I dind't finished High School I quit just before the exams of the final 6th grade to become a pioneer....(shit I hate how WT treat youths). At the age of 40 I do wanna go back and do my final exams to get my diploma. Unfrotunately the finnancial difficulties I'm in, do not allow me to do that, since I work a lot. WT knows how to trap people in many ways. Finnancialy, emotionaly, pshycologicaly.

I know I'm free, but I know that in no way I will abuse that freedom, because it is the freedom in Christ I enjoy.

I'm a kind of trap in situations that I see no way out. I can't get married again, in fact I do not wish for many reasons. I have 2 kids, plus I cannot support a new family since my financial status is shit. I want to get my diploma, I recall when my classmates before 24 years came to me and they were crying(they loved me so much since I was a pleasant person)and asked me to come and finish my exams. Ever since very often I see them in my dreams over and over. Specially I can't forget the tears of a very special classmate, that she was asking me to finish the school. She passed way few years ago, and she was only 35. We were close friends and there was pure love between us. I see her now many times in my dreams and she is still asking me to do my exams.

I'm glad that I left that mind destructive cult. I'm happy that I found Jesus, and I have received they real baptism in the Orthodox Apostolic Church. I'm happy because I know I'm sinner, and through Jesus grace I'm saved. I'm happy because I do have friends that they love me for what I'm, and that I have the privellage to have friends from all over the world in this forum that we have been through the same pain.

I have peace on mind, I have learned to accept people, and not to judge them. I know I have a long way to go, but whatever Jesus decides for me I will accept it. I'm only asking Him to give Wisdom and guidance to endure my hardships...

So let it be, let it be there will be answer let it be

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Positive things that I have done in my life include getting a university education with honors, being in a long term supportive relationship, taking martial arts, doing REAL volunteer work, and adopting a kitty. I went by the philosophy of "fake it till you make it". I did not always feel stronger, powerful, outgoing or social -- but I keep making myself make the effort until I can claim the life I have always wanted. My first relationship wasn't the best but it helped me grow in so many ways as a person that my second never would have occurred without the first and for that I am thankful of both.

• flipper
    flipper

JUST HUMAN- I am so sorry you don't see your young children often. I too have 2 adult daughters who don't see me either . I am glad for you that you have found something to make you feel better through Catholism . We just have to pick up the pieces of our life after being a witness, and move on .

MYSTERIOUS- It sounds like you have kept yourself very busy with interests, hobbies, and are determined to be happy. That's great ! Best of luck to you, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I've started seeing a therapist. I like their objectivity and the knowledges and experience they can bring to a session. At the end of each session, my therapist always mentions one of my strengths (they turn out to be the ones JWs like to squash) and the ones I feel unsure I should have.

The good thing is, this therapist has agreed to continue to see me at a competitive, affordable rate once my insurance runs out. I feel like I have landed on my feet.

I enjoy lots of other stuff, holidays, studying, jogging in the park etc but if there are underlying issues going on (as there seems to be with quite a few of us who became witnesses) there is nothing like seeing an objective professional.

BTW enjoyed your holiday snaps.

ql

• flipper
    flipper

QUIETLY LEAVING- I'm glad you have received help from a therapist. It really does help many to land on their feet again. Jogging is good too, studying, reading - just keeping oneself busy can really help. I'm glad you enjoyed the Tahoe apostafest pictures . Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

It's funny you should bring up the term "survivor" now, Mr. Flipper. This weekend, I got to meet an online forum friend in real life (hooray!) and she herself used the term "survivor". I had really, honestly, never thought of it in QUITE that term before, but you and she are so right.

We are indeed survivors of a very controlling and abusive relationship, and far too many folks do NOT make it out alive.

Here's to us... and here's a prayer for those who did not escape, except in death... and another prayer, that those we love who are still in will see the light and get out in time to heal and live their lives.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit