One American on International Politics

by milligal 64 Replies latest jw friends

• milligal
    milligal

It seems the entire world feels that Americans are not only ignorant of international events but also void of any sense regarding their own politics. After reading one spicey thread on the topic of our apparent unwitting density I had a couple things to say. (parental discretion advised for political incorrectness):

When it comes to international politics I really have no opinion for several reasons, none of which are that I'm thick, selfish, or greedy. The biggest reason I have no opinion is that I have a tough time keeping up on everything here at home. For all you worldly wise 'foreigners' (for the sake of this thread:) it might help you to understand that America is set up with 50 states and 50 different legal systems. 95% of our laws are state guided and a minority of them submit to the federal government. So, when I watch the evening news I am trying to keep up on the events in all 50 states, that's 300 million people and it might also help to think of the mass of land we have here-Michigan is roughly the size of England and Texas might even be bigger than France.

Americans aren't ignorant of the international community, we just work very hard at maintaining unity between our states that at one point existed as separate countries. Furthermore each of these states have their own community personality, some are traditional, some are liberal-just like European countries. Overall, Americans are very charitable and we have fought for and legalized many rights and benefits for foreign citizens who have made America their home.

I know the Iraq war is a sore point to the international community and no one likes Bush-guess what? 84% (in the last poll I saw) of Americans feel the same. Our political system of voting does not leave the Presidency merely to the popular vote of the citizens, as with the case of Bush, politicians weighed in more heavily than the citizens did. It was our politicians who put him into office. So what would you have the American public do? What would you do if it happened in your country? Storm the capitol and take out the President? I think not. SO why the critism against us?

My complaints against the international community as far as politics go, I take up with my own government by voting and writing letters. I don't aim my disrespect at all French people because I disliked the last french President (and I didn't know much about him, just thought he was rude...) You get what I'm saying? I write my government because I don't like the international trade policy with China-I don't judge every chinese person I see because of what their government has done. Sometimes when people criticize us Americans I feel like telling them to back off. If you don't like what America is doing, then why don't you write YOUR President or Prime Minister and put pressure on them to deal with America? What good does it do to gripe at American citizens?

I have been to Europe twice and Canada, and Mexico. I am not a world traveler, but I have big plans for the future. I LOVE England, and I loved the people I met there. I want to take my kids there someday. We're teaching our kids Italian, and we want to visit our 'home' countries in Europe . I know a lot of other Americans who want to learn about the international community like I do and I know others that don't. But the next time you feel like throwing rocks at us Americans and criticizing our every move, think about what we did for the international community in WWII. My great grandfather strapped on a gun and a backpack and jumped out of an airplane to assist the international community. (where's the love guys?) Now my husband does the same thing. Do you think we don't care? We care more than you know, but we are not in charge of the final decisions.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    When it comes to international politics I really have no opinion for several reasons, none of which are that I'm thick, selfish, or greedy. The biggest reason I have no opinion is that I have a tough time keeping up on everything here at home. For all you worldly wise 'foreigners' (for the sake of this thread:) it might help you to understand that America is set up with 50 states and 50 different legal systems. 95% of our laws are state guided and a minority of them submit to the federal government. So, when I watch the evening news I am trying to keep up on the events in all 50 states, that's 300 million people and it might also help to think of the mass of land we have here-Michigan is roughly the size of England and Texas might even be bigger than France.

Then if America is so consumed within looking after it's own affairs then why meddle in others?

But the next time you feel like throwing rocks at us Americans and criticizing our every move, think about what we did for the international community in WWII. My great grandfather strapped on a gun and a backpack and jumped out of an airplane to assist the international community. (where's the love guys?)

And this means we have to back you up with every decision your government makes? History shows America did not enter WWII on humanitarian grounds. They had their reasons, then look what happened after half of Europe came under the control of capitalist American backed governments. Of course Europe is grateful for America entering the war but they certainly didn't enter it on humanitarian grounds. This was the beginning of the "American Empire".

It amazes me when people bring up the we helped you in WWII argument, we could just as easily say you'd be speaking french or spanish if it wasn't for us.

The fact of the matter is that the international community are justified in how we complain about what the American government is doing. How many times do we hear bush say "the international community" is in support of their their actions, when the reality is that it's basically the UK and a few minor countries that sides with America.

America has the power to do whatever it wants with a blatant disregard for how the international community feel. It's no wonder that people around the world moan about it.

Paul

• milligal
    milligal

Is America meddling in your country's affair's?

Secondly, why is it I would be speaking french or spanish if it weren't for your country? Yes America had reasons to see Europe remain free from the Nazi's-and if Europe had been able to take care of it's own issues America would not have had to step in. But we did have to, so maybe on the backs of all our dead soldiers otherwise known as our father's brother's and son's we deserved and needed to take more 'power' on.

Why is it you think a country has to provide for other countries purely out of humanitarian concerns? Are you telling me that's all your country does, all political intentions cast aside? PLEASE you have just as many (if not more due to the length of your history) skeletons in your closet-get off your high horse.....

• llbh
    llbh

I am a fan of both Europe and the US. George W has been a total disaster for your country, no question, but then as you point out most of you feel the same.

I went to the US for the first time this year. I loved it and plan to take my family there again.

What you say about the size ot the US and the nature of your legal system i knew.

We need to compare the USA with Europe not the UK

I have seen the graveyards of WW2 and yes there are sadly the graves of many many young men, alot of them came from the USA, My dad was there on D Day . it was awful. he took the scars of that war to his grave.

Do not think we do not appreciate your country, i for one do but like you i make informed criticisms

David

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You aren't going to get much sympathy here.....

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

You certainly won't get all the sympathy and I'm glad about that.

• llbh
    llbh

Well i was and am. But i do not like George W The USA has a vibrant economy . What Reagen did with Gorbochov was in ending the cold war was a world transforming moment in history. David

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

America....land of the free...home of the brave........and sadly, George Bush and his team who single handedly invaded 2 countries that have little to do with the terror problem....and bankrupted the United States causing a possible world wide financial depression....just today we were talking about the latest Aussie craze of buying American houses since they are now dirt cheap....thanks George!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

witness 007 - nice that you guys down under are getting something out of it, lol

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    America....land of the free...home of the brave........and sadly, George Bush and his team who single handedly invaded 2 countries that have little to do with the terror problem

Single handedly? There weren't any Aussie troops in Iraq and Afghanistan?

....and bankrupted the United States causing a possible world wide financial depression....just today we were talking about the latest Aussie craze of buying American houses since they are now dirt cheap....thanks George!

Riiiiight, we all know the Australian real estate bubble is not popping either.....
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23970722-5001942,00.html "By some measures the world's most overpriced". Edit: More http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a6cGyeMmk1Ys BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit