Witness fear of demons why?

by donny 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• donny
    donny

During my ten year sojourn through the Watchtower, I was always amazed at the Witnesses fear and fascination with demons. Occasionally at gatherings, they would exchange "demon" stories, which were just a JW way of telling ghost stories, and you would usually hear a few "uhhs" and "oh my's" as the story was told. Although I had heard folks of other denominations mention demons, it was never with the "shock and awe" the Witnesses put into it. If JW's have the truth and by extension, the full backing of Jesus, why would they be so paranoid about demons? Below is a paste from my JW experience regarding a couple of the instances I encountered. Since my ex-wife was of Mexican descent and her moms non-witness relatives celebrated Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), this no doubt contributed to the fascination.

From "Watched by the Watchtower"

One item, however, that was beginning to bother me now was the Witnesses fear of demons. I found it ironic that an organization that claims to have Jehovah protecting it would have this thread of demonic fear weaving through it. My first encounter occurred a couple of months after we were married. We had spent our honeymoon in Port Aransas, Texas and had purchased two wind chimes made of seashells. We gave one to my parents and the other to hers. About two months later we went to visit her mom and dad and upon arriving I noticed that the wind chime was no longer hanging on the front porch. When I inquired as to its whereabouts, my wife's mother explained that they had thrown it away because it might contain a demon. "What?" I asked, "A demon? What ever gave you an idea like that?" She went on to explain that they had noticed a lot of popping and creaking noises at night and it seemed to have started about the time we gave them the chime. Out of respect I did not dispute her, but in my mind I was saying "Oh brother, what a cornball idea." My in-laws, like my parents, lived in a wood-frame home and during the hot Texas summer the homes expand in the heat of the day, and during the cool nights the house pops and creaks as it contracts. As I grew up I heard these noises many times and never attributed it to demons.

In 1984, two years after this incident, we were sitting in the living room of our apartment as I conducted our family Watchtower magazine study. About a third of the way through my wife interrupted me and asked everyone to be quite for a moment. She then sat up straight and a look of intense concentration overcame her face. I asked, "What are you doing?" She replied "Sshhhhh, listen." I listened for a moment and then said "What are we listening for?" She again said “Shhhhhh”…….right there! Do you hear it?” I looked at my five year old son and he just shrugged and displayed a look of confusion. Then she said “There it is again!” and got up and went into the dining room and grabbed two ink pens that had been given to her by a work mate earlier in the day. The ink pens had the serenity prayer stamped on them (God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things that should be changed, and Wisdom to know the difference). She took the pens and marched out the front door and threw them in a Dumpster across the street. As she sat down to resume our study I asked, "What was that all about?" She stated that as I was reading the Watchtower she heard the voice of her sister, Rebecca, talking in the dining room and since her sister was at home, 25 miles away, it must have been a demon impersonating her voice. Then she reasoned that the demon must have entered the apartment through something recently brought in. Since items originating with Christendom are among the first to be suspected, it must have been those pens with the prayer written on them. I remember the tune of “The Twilight Zone” playing in my head just after her “demonic” encounter.

• betty boop
    betty boop

When i was yonger i brought home a Casper the friendly ghost book from school and my mom found it and put it under the carpet outside our apartment because "it could bring in demonic things" since its the book is about a ghost

When i went to JW gatherings we would spent HOURS talking about creepy things that would happen as a result of "demons", in specific when someone would bring something innapropriate to their home or what they considered innapropriate

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Download Devil..................Demons are at the Movie Theatre and in your Television!....Demons are in the music you listen to and at Rock concerts!..Crazy EyesCrazy Eyes..............................Evil Banana.."When you`ve got Demons in your Pants..You can do the Demon Dance!!..Evil BananaEvil Banana...............................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

Wow do i know how this is. I had a friend, who although economically strapped, REFUSED to buy anything second hand (garage sales, goodwill) because it could have demons with it or the previous owner could have had demons. Also, she would not take hand me down clothes or items from any people other than people she KNEW were totally legit. It was crazy, and she tried to push this practice on others too... She was only in her twenties, not a raving old nut.

I actually did have a wierd thing happen once though when my mom gave me a bag of horror movies to return to my sister. I got a wierd phone call that night with my mom on the other line, but she never actually called.... I just heard her vague in the background at two am. My mom swears she didnt call/ Now its wierd becasue I have NEVER EVER had a probelm with demons except for when I was a witness and paranoid of them, and yes, they DO teach you to be terrified of them.

My poor darling daughter suffers from occasional night terrors, a diagnosed sleep disorder where her little brain goes into a flight or fight mode while whe transferes from one stage of sleep to the next (cauing her to scream and fit while sleeping, never knowing she's doing it) It's only triggered when she's extremely over tired or overheated, so now she rarely gets them, we know how to prevent them. BUT, when we first told people about it, (we were so relieved to have a diagnosis, we thought we were just bad parents who couldn't get our kid to sleep through the night) YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MANY WITNESSES ACCUSED AND SUGGESTED MY TWO YEAR OLD HAD DEMONS OR THAT WE HAD SOMETHING IN THE HOUSE THAT WE NEEDED TO GET RID OF. It's like, you idiots. its a diagnosed sleep disorder, with known medical and physical causes, not a freaking demon. I was so insulted by those accusations and still am almost fearful when I mention it to people. It's funny, only witnesses ever gave the suggestion that my little angel was "demon posessed" The nerve. It takes a lot of guts to suggest to a parent that their kid has a demon and that your house MUST have demons in it.

burningbridges

• donny
    donny
    It takes a lot of guts to suggest to a parent that their kid has a demon and that your house MUST have demons in it.

I just don't understand the preoccupation with demons in an organization that claims to be "the truth." Through my kids, I still hear wacky stories regarding my ex's family and their demonic encounters. And often many of them are blamed on me. LOL

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

They fear demons because they that realise fear is a great motivator and control mechanism.

No Hell? Lets replace it with Armageddon and the constant threat of demonic attack.

I was brought up to believe that if you took a step outside the org, a demon was waiting there to attack you and throw you around the room.

I confronted my fear. Had alot of fun doing it!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Donny says,

One item, however, that was beginning to bother me now was the Witnesses fear of demons. I found it ironic that an organization that claims to have Jehovah protecting it would have this thread of demonic fear weaving through it.

It's a joke. The leadership is no more afraid of demons than they can fly. It's simply a control mechanism for the fundamentalists, JW or otherwise, who are alpha male leaders. Knorr and the rest used to tour countries all over, going into the Catholic cathedrals during mass and bragging about it to the Bethel Family. They laugh at such things, but know that it keeps the masses in line.

The same goes for fundy churches that practice deliverance. They promise you freedom but you end up in ridiculous psychological bondage to stupidity. I know from much experience in the churches, AFTER leaving the dubs!

Randy

http://www.randallwatters.org

• donny
    donny
    It's a joke. The leadership is no more afraid of demons than they can fly. It's simply a control mechanism for the fundamentalists, JW or otherwise, who are alpha male leaders. Knorr and the rest used to tour countries all over, going into the Catholic cathedrals during mass and bragging about it to the Bethel Family. They laugh at such things, but know that it keeps the masses in line.

Thanks Randy. I was thankful for your organization when i was leaving in 1992 as I found many of the books and videos quite enlightening. I really enjoyed your "Thus saith the Governing Body" book. In regards to demons, I figured as much. The PO in my congregation would relate such stories and chuckle over them as well. If you ever in Northern California, let me know.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I figure that the elders/WT uses tales of demons to keep the flock in line --- Just another tall fear-tale.

"Beware the disfellowshipped one, don't even make eye contact, or you could get a demon."

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

ESTEE

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Yeah, about 5 years ago my sister had a nervous breakdown. Grampa came to see her. He was convinced that our animist-practicing ancestors had something to do with this problem. They got rid of anything with dragons on it, as these things upsetted my sister. I ended up losing a cool shirt, which was replaced with a lame one.

Demons suck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit