Ask Happy Homemaker!

by compound complex 337 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

My font has downsized on all my posts ... why?

CoCo

Dear CoCo,

I'll patch you through to Tech Support.

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex
    What is House Dirt Composed Of?

The dirt in most people’s homes comes from three primary sources, two of which are unpleasant and one of which causes allergies. The allergen is pet dander. Cat fur is notoriously bad for causing a buildup of what we think of as dust and dirt. That is because the particles in cat dander are very tiny, and vacuuming along, especially without a HEPA filter, will not get cat fur out of your carpet. Even if you don’t have a pet, the dander is so fine that it may float into your house, or you may have picked it up from a co-worker with a pooch.

The second source of dirt is what causes the problem for most vacuum cleaners. It is bits of crushed rock. While we don’t often think of rock getting into our homes, it gets in fairly easily. You may have a rock on your shoe. One may have gotten into your son’s book bag. Your daughter may have had one caught in her hair from playing outdoors. Most of this gravel is very small, and you may not pay much attention to it. As you walk over it, the rock gets crushed and becomes sand. This sand then grinds into your carpet and becomes a buildup of dirt over time. Waiting longer to clean your carpets means that you are permitting more dirt to pile on top of each other. The dirt becomes compacted in your carpet and then begins to harden, making it even harder to remove.

The third component of dirt and dust is human skin. Some estimates are that human skin amounts to 80 percent of the dust and dirt residue in people’s homes. Even at much smaller percentages, human skin that has sloughed off through daily life makes up a good portion of the dirt in our homes. Getting rid of the dirt in your home will mean that you have vacuumed up these skin cells. Human skin is very light, which means that it floats. It often settles on bookshelves, furniture, and mantles instead of the floor. When you dust, however, you are pushing some of the dust onto the carpet, where it combines with the pet dander and rock already forming a layer of dirt.

These three components are not the only components of dirt. If you baked cookies, bits of flour and sugar may have gotten into the air. They become part of the dirt in your home when they land on the ground and are crushed into the flooring. Thinking about dirt and how it affects our health and our environment should be encouragement to clean often. Allowing the dirt to build up in your home means permitting allergens into your house. You are risking your immediate health the longer you leave dirt in the floors.

Cleaning more often also is better for your appliances because they don’t have to work as hard to get rid of two days’ worth of dirt instead of two weeks’ worth of it.

© 2003 Geyser Vacuum Center
    Toll Free Phone: 1-866-654-2580 In 518 Area Code: 587-2177 E-mail: [email protected]
    Geyser Vacuum Center offers Vacuum Cleaners and Vacuum Cleaner Bags

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

Who cleans house for you?

Betsy

Dear Betsy,

I'm from the old school - I do all my own work (except car, computer, shoe, ... repair).

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I was visiting friends over the weekend and cooked breakfast for everyone. I cooked up a batch of scrambled eggs in a stainless steel skillet and it was all good. Till I tried cleaning out the frying pan. The residue from the eggs wouldn't budge. Everyone was out on the deck (we were eating b'fast al fresco) and they were calling me to come on out and join them. I was flustered and disconnected from reality so I chucked the pan over my shoulder and went out and put on a happy face.

My question is would I have had this problem if the eggs had been store-bought? I gathered these eggs myself in the hen house. I know that real grub is supposed to stick to your ribs, but this is ridiculous.

Your thoughts, please ...

Egg On My Face

Dear Egg,

So, how are you going to get out of this sticky situation, little Mr. What-Are-You-Gonna-Do-To-Save-Face? Where the heck's the skillet? No crashes? No breakage? Boy, were you ever out to lunch! If I were you - and I thank heaven I'm not - I'd make a clean breast of it and confess to your friends. Maybe they'll bring you back into their little clutch if, of course, no feathers fly.

Next time, go with soft-boiled.

Sheesh! Amateurs!

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I am not happy at all because I am a homebreaker. I saw you were up and felt the need to talk. I guess you're into household stuff - that fact was not lost on me, but I figured you'd give it to me straight. You seem pretty direct but not a total jerk like some guys are when you wanna spill your guts.

My family is gone - I've lost them all because of some stupid things I've done. I'm all alone right now and feeling pretty rotten - and desperate. They might forgive me, maybe ... someday. But I'll never forgive myself. Can we talk, please?

Lost and Confused

Dear Lost,

You're correct about what type of column this actually is, but I have no intention of ignoring you, given your present frame of mind. Please stay on board and I will contact you personally. I do care.

CUASAP,

HH

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Readers,

I am happy to report that Lost and Confused's emotional state has stabilized. He has given me permission to state that he has been referred to competent professional counseling. Friends, family and support groups surely figure in to the repair and healing of one's damaged heart and mind, but there are limits to what well-meaning but untrained individuals can do.

Do not be afraid or ashamed to obtain professional help when undergoing emotional and mental distress. Your treatment could, of necessity, involve medical intervention.

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex
    why window washing
    alt
    altalt
    alt

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals - Zig Ziglar

Here are Some Positive aspects about a Commercial and Residential Window Cleaning Business! Be Your Own Boss - The ultimate freedom in earning a living is to be your own boss. Also, the entrepreneur is one of the most respected positions in any work force. It's a great feeling of pride and accomplishment. Very Low Investment - Typical start up costs can be under 75 dollars. In our case we splurged and spent a little over 100. Grow Your Company To Any Level - You have the freedom to take your business to any level you dream or desire. Large or small, full or part time, it is entirely your prerogative. Unlimited Clientele - There is more work out there than people to do it. Perhaps this will never change. In the near future, it certainly will not. We constantly turn down work, and we hear this all of the time from other window washer companies. This industry has a very large growth potential! Great Pay - As a sole employee of your company you can easily make up to and over 60,000 dollars per year (USD). If you choose to hire employees the earnings potential unlimited!

Flexible Schedule - You have freedom to set your own hours. Being parents ourselves this has given us tremendous flexibility to spend time with our families. In addition, we know of several window washing professionals who work around their college schedules. This freedom is a rarity in most businesses; typically just the opposite is the case. High Percentage Profit - In the window washing business you are looking at about a 90 to 95 percent profit business. In comparison, most businesses are lucky to make 10 to 15 percent profit, and they can be locked into contracts for extended periods of time. Low Stress - Window washing is an extremely low stress environment, and there is the luxury of not being stuck in an office or warehouse all day. Also, there is never a boss around to watch your every move.

No Rental Lease - Most businesses require you to sign a rental lease for 5 or more years. In our experience landlords frequently require tenants to personally guarantee the lease. That means you are personally liable for thousands of dollars right out of the gate! Not so with a window washing business; you work right out of your home office and vehicle!

Exercise Your Creativity - Many employees have great ideas. Some employers discourage this; or the idea simply gets ' lost in the abyss ' of poor company communication. Whatever the case, you have total freedom to try your ideas and use any creative potential you may have. It is a wonderful feeling of liberty and independence. Trade Service For Service - Many businesses are willing to trade a window washing service for their product or service. This includes pizza, dry cleaning, accounting, dental work, tailoring, and more!

Click here for our window cleaning forum page

Window Academy "Professionals training Professionals"

Order products here!

Copyright 2008, Window Academy LLC. All Rights Reserved.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I am about to visit my parents, who smoke quite heavily. I wish to be gracious and make no fuss - after all, I will be a guest in their home. But they seem oblivious to my oxygen hook-up and past flare-ups and explosions on my end. They are dear people, but I fear for my life. Oh, for theirs also!

Incidentally, any tips on how to muck out the place once they're extinguished?

Coffs Alot

Dear Coffs,

You fail to mention what your parents smoke ... Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparillos? If they smoke camels or salmon, I wish you luck mucking out the joint once they expire (pointers later).

BTW, lose the oxygen gear when visiting and learn the benefits of holding your breath (there are exercises for this). It can be a religious experience.

If you can't breathe does anything else really matter...?

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I held my breath for a very long time once. Only someone was helping me do it.

The stars are pretty in that deep red field.

Yours truly,
    Living This Life That Is All There Is

• wings
    wings

Dear Happy Homemaker, I just moved in with my brother. His wife left him for the THIRD time and they are both slobs!!!!! Don't even clean the toilets (a basic....) I am working through this project a day at a time and trying not to get too grossed out. After a couple of weeks it is starting to feel like home, but far far far from done. I could use some encouragement....nothing too complicated however, I'm still a bit overwhelmed. Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit