I was told I have diabetes today

by noni1974 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Oh Noni, what a nuisance, getting diabetes. So sorry you have to go through that sort of health problem. The good news is it can be fixed.

My Dad had it and once he found out and lived with the testing his blood everyday etc he went on The Diabetic Diet and his problem was solved within 6 months. My cousin just got diagnosed with the same thing like you and he immediately went on a special diet and within 2 months he was OK. So the good news is it can be controlled, unlike Diabetes type 1.

Velvet

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago. I'm on oral medication for it and check my blood sugar twice a day. I'm eating a lot healthier now. I've lost weight. I've greatly reduced refined carbs and fat in my diet. The big challenge for me is to get enough exercise. I sit in front of a computer all day at work, and I've had more back injuries than I can count. Getting exercise without throwing my back out is difficult.

W

• karen96
    karen96

Noni:

First, I know hearing the news can be devastating, but know that this is totally controllable. My hubby was diagnosed April 2007. He met w/ the dietician, and he was was put on oral medication (metformin). He also started working out, slowly, to help his cholesterol. Following the dietician's suggestions was key. He lost over 50 pounds in about 9 months. He is off his oral meds, and his last visit this past April, his diabetes doctor said he only needed to test himself occasionally. My hubby doesn't miss eating the simple carbs at all, he has found a new liking to vegetables, esp. grilled. Once in a while he may have a small piece of cake at a birthday celebration, or he will eat corn on the cob here and there (alot of sugar in corn). But for the most part, he eats really well. He is not cured, you never are, he is managing it very well. My thoughts are with you as you learn to manage yours, as well.

karen

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes Noni, please take of yourself. It's not the end of the world and there are things you can do to manage this.

My bil died last November from issues related to being diabetic because he was not taking care of himself and ignore a wound on his big toe that got nasty and out of control...it lead to his death. My hubby is pre-diabetic and you better believe he's trying to take care of himself...the death of his brother scared him deeply.

• logic
    logic

Stay completely away from processed foods. Educate yourself as to what is in you food. Doughnuts and other pastries are not only are addictive they are deadly. If you stop them for a few days , which is hard to do, you will finally lose the addiction. Stay away from alchohol. I have been diabetic for many, many years now. I finally learned not to cheat it does not work well for you. The best I ever did was when I was on the atkins diet. I had to actually quit taking all my prescriptions, but then I started cheating again and was back where I started. I am back on a modified atkins diet now and now am getting back to normal again. The blood test thing just finally becomes second nature and you don't pay much attention to it. I worked in construction with this condition for many years and I did just fine. It never really bothered me that much, I think it is just how you look at things. You will find that you will that you are going to learn things about food that makes the whole thing very interesting. Good luck to you.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Hi Noni - my Dad, and both my maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother had diabetes - as everyone has already told you, if you keep things in check and under control, it wont be too difficult to live with!

Find out about associations in your area and most of all look after your feet. Regular sessions with a podiatrist to avoid issues later. This is huge in your life now but you will cope! (((noni)))

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

On a lighter note, at the time when my Dad was diagnosed, his number on his licence plate on his car was PSD318GP. This is a totally random number and not personalised in any way.

Well, he was incredibly sorry for himself at hearing the news and he used to go on an on... if we had cake, he would always sulk about not having any and that sort of thing, so we decided that his registration number stood for Poor Sick Diabetic... silly story I know.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I found out my grandfather and 2 of my uncles had diabetes. My brother shows symptoms. My sister is going to get checked. I haven't talked to my brother yet. He really needs to be checked. Anyway I'm feeling much better now that I googled it and read about it. I really didn't have any idea what this really was. Now I feel like once I get more knowlage about this I can control it.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

So happy to hear you're doing better, Noni.

Can't add anything to everyone else's advice, except to take care of yourself. I'm certain you'll get the hang of everything you're supposed to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit