I was told I have diabetes today

by noni1974 28 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

My doctor told me I have it. I have to test my blood to see if it can be contorlled by diet or if I have to take meds for it. For the next 2 weeks I have to test my blood 2 times a day. Then the doctor will have a base line to go on and decide if I need meds or not. In the mean time I have to go on a dibetic diet. I also have to get my eyes checked. The doctor gave me 2 new meds to take 1 for cholesterol and 1 to keep my kidneys healthy. I also have to take low does asprin everyday for my heart.

I'll probally have to test my blood all the time for now on. The doctor said if I do need meds I'll get oral ones because I'm not that bad. My blood sugar was in the 150's. Normal is between 90 and 130 so I'm just over that. Not really bad but enough to cause concern.

Now I have to learn how to test my blood. They gave me a meter and some strip things and a thing to poke myself. It's a whole system to test my blood. It hurts to poke my finger. Anyone else have this???

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've been type I since I was 5 years old. Biggest things to controlling sugar are to eat regular, smallish meals and be sure to get plenty of exercise. It makes a big difference.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Did the doctor give any advice on how to manage your meals, considering the type of job you have?

• free2think
    free2think

Im so sorry Noni.

I had diabetes insipidus after i had a pituatry tumour removed, it eventually went away but i had to have the injections and test my blood every day, so i can only imagine what you are going through.

Im thinking of you sweetie.

• noni1974
    noni1974
    Did the doctor give any advice on how to manage your meals, considering the type of job you have?

No not yet. She set me to a nutritionist who is supposed to help me lear about a diabetic diet. She did tell me to avoid anything white like flour and pasta and complex carbs.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hey Noni, sorry to hear this.

avoid anything white like flour and pasta and complex carbs.

you mean simple carbs? That would be "white" foods.

• noni1974
    noni1974

Yeah your probally right. Simple carbs sound right. I just heard carbs and white food. That's why I have to go to a nutritionist so I can learn the diffrence.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I'm a type 2 diabetic. I assure you, this is not the end of the world. Pay attention to your doctor, nutritionist, and whoever else is on your "diabetes team." When I first found out that I was diabetic I was mortified. Eventually I more or less embraced my condition and am actually better off because of it. I'm very active now - walking, cycling, hiking, lifting weights, etc - and because I spend so much time in the "good" aisles of the grocery store, my menu is very eclectic and delicious. As strange as this is going to sound, I'm not going to say "too bad, so sad." Instead I'm going to say "Congratulations!" If you approach and manage diabetes correctly you will come out way ahead.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

My MIL passed away 18 months ago after a long period of not attending to her diabetes - I won't go into the details.

Follw the nutritionist's advice! Indeed, that might be enough so that you won't need meds, but as John Doe and others show this is a condition that can be managed.

My mate was diagnosed 2 years ago with a similar blood sugar level. He's fine today with increased exercise, attention to diet - and losing 50 pounds.

All the best!

• noni1974
    noni1974

I went to the doctor about a month ago to get a check up. She ordered blood tests to check my blood sugar and my cholesterol and my thyroid checked. I went and got the tests done the week before last. I guess they had the wrong number for me and could not get a hold of me to tell me to get into the doctors ASAP so they sent me a letter which I got Monday. I called the next day and today was the first avaliable appointment to see the doctor.

I get there and she tells me I need to start checking my blood sugar and all this stuff about diabetes and I'm looking at her like this . Then she tells me I'm getting a shot and some more blood work. Then she gives me all these perscriptions. She tells me I need to see a nutritionist and the eye doctor even though I had my eyes checked last year in June and my eye doctor says I don't need an eye exam every year. She said I do.

I think I'm on over load right now. I'm scared and don't really know much about diabetes. I couldn't even spell it before today. I think it may take some time to adjust to this. I haven't even been brave enough to google this yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit