How Long Did It Take You to Realize It Wasn't "The Truth"?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Never really bought it. Born and raised but tired of the constant change for convenience. Like most others I lived liked a robot not wanting to lose family and a couple of friends, even though I still always had worldly friends. Once I had kids I decided I did not want them top waste a large portion of their life as I wasted mine. So even though the wife and kids ( they are still very young) are still active. my wife even realizes that there is almost no chance of our kids accepting this b.s. when dad s actions indicate that anything else you can possibly do has priority over spiritual things. Check Mate! P.S. Imagine how proud I am when my toddler screams I want to go home, I hate the Kingdom Hall, in the middle of the meeting

• Layla33
    Layla33

I was born in, I was never giving a choice of what to believe, but when I was 15, after constant preaching at me, toward me, and it filling every single aspect of my life - I realized it was a complete load of crap. The explanations, the flip flops, the research I did on my own, the many lies and justifications over the years, the mistreatment of women as second class, the changing dates of the Armeggedon, the doctrine that just made no sense whatsoever - I was tired of listening to a group of men in New York I had never met, it just made no sense to give such loyalty.

I respect anyone's right to believe what they want, even if they want to believe water isn't wet and the sky is really orange, but there is absolutely no way that I believe these people know the truth.

• shamus100
    shamus100

It took about two years for me when I started to have doubts. The red light for me was the lack of love - and I just couldn't get my head around that one, especially since they were the 'happiest people on earth' (tm). I knew 'the truth' was not 'the truth' for quite some time, and I was just looking for a good exit strategy and the balls to actually do it. It's hard to make that step out - and I can't be thankful enough that I did it. Life was hard for a time, but now I cannot imagine being a cheap-suit wearing dweeb with low-self esteem friends.

Out and couldn't be happier!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I started having doubts about the mid-90's. I struggled with them for about 10 years, hoping that they would somehow go away. But no matter how much I prayed, and how much time I spent in the ministry, they never did. I finally decided to make an objective study of the religion about 2 years ago. The rest is history.

• minimus
    minimus

We were regularly inculcated with: WAIT ON JEHOVAH.

After years or decades, it's obvious that whatever issues we have, they are legit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit