How Long Did It Take You to Realize It Wasn't "The Truth"?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Do you still think, maybe----JWs aren't all THAT bad???

They are deceived just like we were.

I started having doubts in late 1999 early 2000.

It took another 4 years before I realised it's all a lie and the 'Faithful Slave' is demon inspired.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Nine years, but I never believed all the things they taught. I guess I owe that to being raised Methodist through my childhood and teen years. Only to become a JW to get married to one. So, when they spoke of being "God's True Organization" I just kinda shrugged it off ("whatever") for nine years. Once I heard about Beth-Sarim and Pyramidology ... that's when the wall started collapsing. I really wished I did my homework on this so-called "religion" before getting involved.

• oompa
    oompa

Welcome to Lisa the cocoa!!!....we have a first time poster on this thread..........oompa

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

About a year I guess.

Welcome to Lissa the Cocoa!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

After a couple of years, I began to doubt that God was anything like He showcased. And after about the third year, I realized that He was nothing more than an Almighty Lowlife Scumbag and Parasite, wasting all my time and energy.

Once it got to that, all they needed to do was remove anyone that I might be drawn to, and it was only a matter of time before I realized that I would be better off out, whether or not it was the truth. No college degree or Crisis of Conscience needed, just the ability to objectively weigh the true costs and the true benefits.

Of course, later when I got online, the apostate web sites confirmed it.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I was never really 100% sure it was the truth. (I was a born-in.) And my research gradually made it an impossibility, although there were some startling discoveries near the beginning of it.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I was about 14, I just didn't believe the world was going to end!

• logic
    logic

I was born in. I too was never convinced, I just assumed that they were really inspired, I mean how else could they come up with these ideas. There were so many crazy ideas that just weren't logical. I never was considered strong in the truth and didn't care. I always felt I was just along for the ride. If it weren't for my family I would have probably just faded away. I did the pioneer thing but it didn't mean much to me. I became inactive for about 20 years and should have stayed that way. The things that always bothered me were, how did they know they were chosen in 1919, was god talking to them or not. the date things just never made any sense. Keeping time records. All the made up names which created more of a class system. I don't care what anybody says , pioneers think they are better than everybody else. I always thought of them as worse. That is why I stopped the pioneer thing , it was all bull crap. I got tired of people thinking I was great because I was a pioneer.

Then came the things that started my research. Both were odd and ironic. An email was circulated by jws from an long time elder. In the email he brought up how he had always just read scriptures at meetings etc. and never really sat down and studied the bible. At the time I didn't think of what his purpose was but it got me to thinking. The second thing was when I reading about the great pyramid and came across the part about russell and his lunacy concerning dates. Believe it or not these two things started me on a very large research on everything to do with the society. I began to say to myself, 'now all the doubts I always had were making sense to me , it really was just a bunch of crap.

I was never really upset about it and I did not go through the feelings that alot of other people went through, I was prepared for it all my life, I just wished that I done this many, many years ago.

For any of jws that may be reading this, please do some research, there is nothing to fear from the truth. There is only one reason that the society tells you not to miss meetings and field service , it is not because you will become spiritually weak it because you will become spiritually strong. I feel so good now that I don't go to the meetings, etc. where I was so blasted bored and miserable. Study the bible at home where you are confortable. The longer you miss the meetings the more clear your mind will become and then you will be able to think on you own and all the things you have read here will start to make sense to you.

• minimus
    minimus

When you are raised in the cult, it's very difficult to see things. But if one has half a brain, it isn't so difficult to see the idiocy of the Witnesses. It's embarrassing.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was raised in it..About the age of 12,things didn`t look right.....At 16,I realized this was some pretty goofy stuff.....Got tossed out of the house at 18.....Walked away from it all about 19.........................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit