Do You Consider Yourself a "Bright?"

by XJW4EVR 28 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I like the idea but am ambivalent about the name. It's not that it sounds superior (I've no objection to that), it's just a little cringeworthy somehow. One thing to note is that the opposite of "Bright" in this context is not "Dim" but "Super" (as in one who holds to supernatural beliefs). This is similar to how the opposite of "gay" (as in homosexual, not happy) is not "glum" but "straight".

"Brights" and "Supers" - it makes everyone sound just brilliant, doesn't it?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

super stupid ;)

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Another silly attempt to divide people. I'd prefer to break the social barriers, instead of reinforcing them.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I know a family named Bright from Utah. But I would never want to be one. They are more messed up than I am!

• Evidently
    Evidently

Unfortunately, I give off more heat than light.......

• james_woods
    james_woods

We once had a CO whose last name was Bright. We rapidly started using the black market term "Bright Ideas" because some of his direction was so gawdawful stupid.

Really.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Reminded me of an old discussion with peacefulpete who introduced me to that "label":

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/64001/984871/post.ashx#984871

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was younger I thought I was bright.

Now I'm 55 years old and I still have to get up and go to work everyday.

So I figure I'm not to bright.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I subscribe both to a naturalistic worldview and to the "Brights" forum.

The term "Brights" is simply a label used to define a group with a particular similarity. They could just as easily have chosen "Clear Thinkers", or any number of other terms.

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

Fascinating that they require their own cult jargon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit