Do You Consider Yourself a "Bright?"

by XJW4EVR 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Collective self-designations must lose their intended positive meaning to work as such. If "bright" does take we won't perceive anymore contradiction in "a dull bright" than in "a gloomy gay" or "an old grumpy born-again".

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

a young elder :))

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

reading Dennett right now, pretty good!

Randy

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Oh hell no.

I'm somewhere between Forrest Gump and Lennie Small ("I will name him George and I will hug him and squeeze him . . .")

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    reading Dennett right now, pretty good!

I am reading Dennett also, and I prefer his method of explaining atheism over Chrissy Hitchens scotch-inspired rantings (though I do give Chrissy credit for avoiding the term "bright").

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Chrissy Hitchens scotch-inspired rantings

Therefore sometimes referred to as "the Hitch"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The 'movement' part first comes into play when it comes to being an organized effort to try and promote science and scientific thought and reasoning in the public domain, and also to promote acceptance for the naturalistic worldview.

Science and scientific thought and reasoning are not exclusive to athiests. That's what betrays the bright movement as being not so bright.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

gaiagirl:

The term "Brights" is simply a label used to define a group with a particular similarity. They could just as easily have chosen "Clear Thinkers", or any number of other terms.

Actually "Clear Thinkers" wouldn't do. There's nothing about thinking clearly that necessarily implies a naturalistic worldview and it would be insulting to theists to name the group such. There are similar problems with terms such as "rationalists" and "skeptics", while "naturalist" usually means someone who is interested in nature. "Atheist" means defining oneself by what one doesn't believe and in any case it's possible to come under the "Bright" umbrella without being an atheist.

FlyingHighNow:

Science and scientific thought and reasoning are not exclusive to athiests. That's what betrays the bright movement as being not so bright.

Again, that's why a new word was chosen. The intention of the movement is not to state that only those with a naturalistic worldview can reason or use science, it is simply a term for those who have a naturalistic worldview. "Bright" in this sense doesn't mean "clever", the same as "gay" for the homosexual movement doesn't mean "happy", although in both cases there is a certain intentional amount of overlap.

"Brights" and "Supers" can both use reason, and the world of science is full of both.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Again, that's why a new word was chosen. The intention of the movement is not to state that only those with a naturalistic worldview can reason or use science, it is simply a term for those who have a naturalistic worldview. "Bright" in this sense doesn't mean "clever", the same as "gay" for the homosexual movement doesn't mean "happy", although in both cases there is a certain intentional amount of overlap.

"Brights" and "Supers" can both use reason, and the world of science is full of both.

Thank you. I like this kind of balance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit