How can I know for sure that the WTS isn't God's organization?

by nbernat 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• amicus
    amicus
    DO's and CO's who are especially bright and so well-versed in the scriptures not figure out it's a hoax (if it in fact is)?

Perhaps, they too have doubts. If you truly felt you had enough freedom of speech to ask them these questions, with no fear of repercussions, you would be talking to them rather than to us here. So how do you know some, if not all of them, aren't of the same mind as you? You can't know of course. They have far more to lose than you. It takes years to work up to those positions. Those "bright" DO's and CO's might be chewing their fingernails off at night worrying that they have wasted their lives chasing an empty dream.

So, why rely on another to answer questions that in all honesty YOU have to find answers for. Take your time, decide what troubles you the most and start to find answers to those questions. We live in a golden age of information. You certainly can't believe all you read, but in time if you take the time, those little nuggets of "truth" may start to shine a little brighter than the "fools gold" that is so often offered as a substitute.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

How can you know for sure that the Catholic or Orthodox Christian Church isn't God's organization?

I don't attend at either but it's something to consider. If God has to have an organization, where could we find a parallel? How about Israel. Was Israel faithful? Not much of the time. God was constantly sending individuals to readjust those in power.

Applying this to the CC or OC, why wouldn't we assume that they are still God's anointed channel for distributing the spiritual food? You may think they have done a lousy job, but so did Israel.

The only reason you could assume the WTS is God's only organization would be if he decided to cast off all the others at some point in time. This is where the WT teaching on 1919 comes in. Without the appointment in 1919, they could not be God's only organization. The idea behind 1919 is that it follows three and one-half years after 1914. Do you believe in the 1914 prophecy ? (Clue, Contextually look at Luke 21. Do the gentile times end before the time of trouble [great tribulation] or after?) If you don't believe in 1914, then 1919 is discounted as well. If that is the case, then they can point to no specific time period during which God cast off the other Christian faiths. If he never cast them off, then they are still his organizations (if he works through organizations at all at this point). If the other denominations are not cast off, then the WTS could potentially be among all his belongings but by no means could it solely be his organization.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Here are some additional ways a person can know absolutely that the WT Society is not God's organization:

• Did Jesus ever teach that we must belong to an organization or did he say we must walk according to his commandments?
    • Did Jesus say the WT Society is the way, the truth and the life, or did he point to himself instead?
    • Does the Bible ever say a governing body is the head of Christ's church, or does it identify Christ himself as the Head of the church and of each Christian?
    • Where is the hint in the Bible that the "faithful and discreet slave" is a class of Christians instead of each and every Christian who has the responsibility to remain obedient and alert as Christ's follower?
    • How could Christ have appointed JWs in 1919 as his slave class when the organization was teaching so many things then that have since been repudiated and abandoned by the Society? Russell and Rutherford would be disfellowshiped today if they were still alive and believed many of the things they taught as leaders of the Society.
    • If JWs are teaching the truth about Christ's return, why do they say he returned invisibly whereas the Bible says every eye will see him?
    • Why does the Society teach that "food in due season" is provided by "the anointed remnant" when most of the Society's writers are of "the other sheep class"? Instead of consulting "anointed ones" around the earth, the Society leans heavily upon the views of those men at headquarters in the Writing and Service Departments, both of which are manned mainly by "non-anointed" JWs.
    • Why does the Society teach that only certain Christians must be "born again" whereas the Bible says no one can see the Kingdom unless he is born again?
    • How can the Society teach that Jesus is the Mediator only for the 144,000 "anointed ones" when the Bible says he is "the" Mediator between God and all men?
    • Why does the Society tell the "other sheep" not to partake of the Memorial emblems when Jesus made no such distinction? Very different from the Society, Jesus said, "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day; for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him." (John 6:53-56)

Frank

• freeme
    freeme

Here are some additional ways a person can know absolutely that the WT Society is not God's organization:

• Did Jesus ever teach that we must belong to an organization or did he say we must walk according to his commandments?
    • Did Jesus say the WT Society is the way, the truth and the life, or did he point to himself instead?
    • Does the Bible ever say a governing body is the head of Christ's church, or does it identify Christ himself as the Head of the church and of each Christian?
    • Where is the hint in the Bible that the "faithful and discreet slave" is a class of Christians instead of each and every Christian who has the responsibility to remain obedient and alert as Christ's follower?
    • How could Christ have appointed JWs in 1919 as his slave class when the organization was teaching so many things then that have since been repudiated and abandoned by the Society? Russell and Rutherford would be disfellowshiped today if they were still alive and believed many of the things they taught as leaders of the Society.
    • If JWs are teaching the truth about Christ's return, why do they say he returned invisibly whereas the Bible says every eye will see him ?
    • Why does the Society teach that "food in due season" is provided by "the anointed remnant" when most of the Society's writers are of "the other sheep class"? Instead of consulting "anointed ones" around the earth, the Society leans heavily upon the views of those men at headquarters in the Writing and Service Departments, both of which are manned mainly by " non-anointed " JWs.
    • Why does the Society teach that only certain Christians must be "born again" whereas the Bible says no one can see the Kingdom unless he is born again ?
    • How can the Society teach that Jesus is the Mediator only for the 144,000 "anointed ones" when the Bible says he is " the " Mediator between God and all men?
    • Why does the Society tell the "other sheep" not to partake of the Memorial emblems when Jesus made no such distinction? Very different from the Society, Jesus said, "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day; for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him." (John 6:53-56)

Frank

THANKS! if it was with more bibletexts it would be even more great. nice summary! ill add my bible texts to it and even add the watchtowers excuses whereever possible. the excuses are always very constructed in these cases. and i enjoy using the argument of jws when it comes to the blood issue: "why dont you just believe whats plainly written and dont try to work around it?" ("abstain from blood" new testament). so when you just need to believe whats clearly written, so why do you make a difference when jesus says "no one can see the Kingdom unless he is born again"? why is correct to argue about it here but not in the blood issue, when its so clear that this verse about blood was in a context that gives him another meaning instead of dieing for refuting a blood transfusion?

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

The lure of everlasting life is what blinds such ones as DO and CO from the truth of matters.

Faith seems to be one of the biggest distracters of truth and facts. It causes such delusion in people and cuts off reasoning abilities. But this faith is what a DO or CO would be riddled with, that is why they are so blind to thingsā€¦..

• trevor
    trevor

nbernat

First start at the beginning and make certain there is a god. That will take the rest of your life as you may never be certain.

If you decide to believe in a god because you acquire faith, you then need to ask where you ever got the idea from that god would need an organisation on this planet?

Lastly you can ask if the WTS is god's organisation?

By then the WTS will have ceased to exist and you will be saved the task of further enquiries.

Or you could just skip the whole process and be true to yourself and your feelings and live your life.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

nbernat: Sitting on the fence, or being lukewarm (to use their terms) is never a good place to be - it a place of doubt and confusion. We can tell you the answers as we see them OR you should do a good and proper study of their doctrine and make up your own mind. There is no easy way out / no quick fix. I suggest the latter - then you will know for yourself whether or not the JWs are gods' organisation.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Actually, many CO's and DO's have left over time.

A 'Zone overseer' by the name of Schnell left and wrote a book called "30 Years a Watchtower Slave". A prominent member of the Governing Body, Raymond Franz, left in the early 80's. He wrote two books {Highly Recommended to end your doubts forever about the WTS}.

Many, many, capable and intelligent elders, bethelites, and missionaries have left. Some who have attended MTS have left. One recent grad of Gilead School has left and posts here. Ministerial servants, pioneers, special pioneers.

No - the exit is not confined to just the rank and file. It never has been.

I imagine there are many CO's and DO's who have a hunch it is not the 'Truth' - but they may feel trapped by family ties, age, having become dependent on the security of the organization. Most of them have given up houses and income to accept the positions. Now they have no place to go, no job skills or jobs to go back to, and have aged beyond the years that would allow that to happen. Additionally, most of them are 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation Jw's. If they leave, there is no 'security blanket' of family to catch them and help them make a transition back into life. They are trapped.

Nice to have you on the forum.

Jeff

• TheListener
    TheListener

When I first admitted to myself that I didn't believe it was the truth anymore I panicked. I felt for sure that each major world catastrophe was going to be armageddon. As sad as it sounds I would lie awake at night during thunderstorms and be afraid that the end was coming. It was a horrible experience.

But, I realized that this was happening because I hadn't really convinced myself it wasn't the truth. I mentally knew it but my heart hadn't accepted it yet. So I began to intensely study the issues that I felt were out of whack with reality. I chose a handful of doctrines that I knew were wrong and studied them until I could convincingly explain them to others - not a believing dub though, nothing convinces them.

Studying what I felt were glaring doctrinal flaws allowewd me to see how messed up the religion really is. It has also helped me steer my kids and wife toward the exit very very very slowly (hope hope hope).

Good luck.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

You need to read Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit