The year the end finally came: the YEAR OF THE BIG LIE

by Terry 65 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Terry..Oh,do I remember those days!..Armageddon was coming in 1975!..What a frenzy..People were selling their homes,going to pioneer and racking up debt.....Then......Nothing......No Armageddon........No New System.......Just a lot of JW`s with nothing....They had sold everything and "Bet it on Bullshit"..LOL!!...............Even now,I meet JW`s who lived through that era..I bring up 1975..Their response:"That never happened.".....???.....Question Mark 3All Praise......................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• Terry
    Terry

I wonder how many of you know and realize that the Watchtower used the End of Six Thousand Years of Human Existence twice in its history?

Very early on it was used.

Anybody know the date it was said to have come?

• blondie
    blondie

*** w74 8/15 pp. 506-507 No Spiritual "Energy Crisis" for Discreet Ones ***In 1877, Russell joined Nelson H. Barbour in publishing the book ThreeWorlds,andtheHarvestofThisWorld. It indicated that the end of the Gentile Times in 1914 would be preceded by a forty-year period to open with a three-and-a-half-year harvest beginning in 1874 C.E. According to Bible chronology thereafter adopted, it was understood that 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth ended in 1872, whereas six millenniums of human sin concluded and the seventh millennium began in 1874. Christ’s presence was thought to have begun in October 1874, at the start of the great antitypical Jubilee.—Lev. chap. 25; Rev. 20:4.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Do they still mention this - giving the King of the North a new identity? Maybe they should say it is now Red China and Islam? Probably they would want to hold onto the U.S. as King of the South - given how much they hate the country of their origins which has permitted them so much little-deserved freedom.

The last thing published was in the Daniel book in 1999:

*** dpchap.16pp.280-281TheContendingKingsNearTheirEnd***

THE

FINALCAMPAIGN

The rivalry between the king of the north and the king of the south—whether by military, economic, or other means—is nearing its end. Revealing the details of a conflict yet to come, Jehovah’s angel said: "There will be reports that will disturb him [the king of the north], out of the sunrising and out of the north, and he will certainly go forth in a great rage in order to annihilate and to devote many to destruction. And he will plant his palatial tents between the grand sea and the holy mountain of Decoration; and he will have to come all the way to his end, and there will be no helper for him."—Daniel 11:44, 45.

With the disbanding of the Soviet Union in December 1991, the king of the north suffered a serious setback. Who will be this king when Daniel 11:44, 45 is fulfilled? Will he be identified with one of the countries that were part of the former Soviet Union? Or will he change identity completely, as he has done a number of times before? Will the development of nuclear weapons by additional nations result in a new arms race and have a bearing on the identity of that king? Only time will provide answers to these questions. We are wise not to speculate. When the king of the north embarks on his final campaign, the fulfillment of prophecy will be clearly discerned by all who have Bible-based insight.—See "Kings in Daniel Chapter 11," on page 284.

However, we do know what action the king of the north will soon take. Moved by the reports "out of the sunrising and out of the north," he will conduct a campaign ‘in order to annihilate many.’ Against whom is this campaign directed? And what "reports" trigger such an attack?

The reference on page 284 includes:

dpchap.16p.284TheContendingKingsNearTheirEnd***

KINGS

INDANIELCHAPTER11

TheKingof TheKingof

theNorth theSouth

Daniel 11:32-43 Communist bloc (Cold War) Anglo-American World Power

Daniel 11:44, 45 Yet to rise Anglo-American World Power

[Footnote]

The prophecy in Daniel chapter 11 does not foretell the names of the political entities that occupy the positions of the king of the north and the king of the south at various times. Their identities become known only after the events start to occur. Moreover, since the conflict occurs in episodes, there are intervals of no conflict—one king holds sway while the other remains inactive.

So, WTBTS has pitched the King of the North prophecies under the rug, along with Russell's pyramidology. They don't feel the need to keep getting that all wrong. However, they haven't been able to just ignore "this generation". Why? Besides having put soooo much emphasis on Matt. 24:34 tied in with 1914, it's right across the page from Matt. 24:45-47 !! Those verses are the only reference to any supposed authority of some "faithful and discreet slave" class !! They cannot ever ignore Matt. 24, ever.

The WTBTS has lost almost anything scriptural to keep their armageddon soon scenario afloat. The only thing they seem to have to cling to is the "gloom and doom" of the "last days" with economic problems, disease, pollution, natural disasters, overpopulation, poverty, food shortages, and war. Nothing makes the dubs happier than bad news!

B the X

• james_woods
    james_woods

B t X: That is just impossibly rich - rich beyond words.

"With these prophecies, we cannot know who the actual characters are until after the prophecy has been fulfilled, and then we can interpret them"

Well, putting it that way, I predict that a greatly disgusting man (standing in a holy place) is going to mount a red Prius and drive through town at noon on Friday.

I will tell you who he actually is, and what town it actually is, after the fact. I also reserve the fact to interpret symbolically the red Prius.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Such a great post Terry.

I remember getting pressured to get baptized before '75. So to please everybody I did in 1974. What a mistake. Like many other posters have already mentioned I too gave up 2 great jobs because of the WTS and the crap of '75.

The Claw.

• Terry
    Terry
    *** w74 8/15 pp. 506-507 No Spiritual "Energy Crisis" for Discreet Ones ***In 1877, Russell joined Nelson H. Barbour in publishing the book ThreeWorlds,andtheHarvestofThisWorld. It indicated that the end of the Gentile Times in 1914 would be preceded by a forty-year period to open with a three-and-a-half-year harvest beginning in 1874 C.E. According to Bible chronology thereafter adopted, it was understood that 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth ended in 1872, whereas six millenniums of human sin concluded and the seventh millennium began in 1874. Christ’s presence was thought to have begun in October 1874, at the start of the great antitypical Jubilee.—

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ask any elder you happen to see:

"Is the end of six thousand years of human existence significant in any way?"

If they answer "no", ask why it was the main focus of door to door work, theocratic ministry school teaching, assembly talks and publications (both books and magazines) for a decade.

• lancelink
    lancelink

I keep getting the reply : nobody knows the hour in which Jesus is coming back, ( I believe that this is written in the Bible somewhere)

• Terry
    Terry
    I keep getting the reply : nobody knows the hour in which Jesus is coming back, ( I believe that this is written in the Bible somewhere)

Considering the number of times zones on planet Earth, knowing the hour is not much in the way of knowledge in the first place!

A day for a year would come in handy here.

• knock knock
    knock knock

Having lived through the '75 debacle it is easy to understand that that had to be exactly the same build-up / let-down that was experienced in 1914, 1918, 1925 and to some extent 1945 when WWII ended without THE END. Something about history repeating itself comes to mind. It's all there in the old books but remember that those that don't learn from the past.... Take note current believers. Take note.

Or, to put it in a nasty dog / funky king ZZ Top perspective;

Don't laugh 'cause it ain't funny.
    Look how it happened to me.
    It could happen to you, you could be a fool too
    And it'd leave you in misery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit