The year the end finally came: the YEAR OF THE BIG LIE

by Terry 65 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Terry
    Terry
    Was it just a marketing strategy I think so

I think it was all Fred Franz.

Fred was THE guru, potentate, resident prophet and driving force kept on a tight leash (until 1968) by Knorr.

Franz could not help himself, at least I don't think he could.

He so desperately wanted it to be true he tried to trigger it (perhaps subconsciously) with hints in the books he wrote.

I think this particular time it got loose from him and ran rampant in the local Kingdom Halls and slopped back on top of him like a wave when something is thrown into the water.

They all went with it and rode the beast to the bitter end.

When nothing happened nobody knew who would take the fall. (They could never blame Freddy because he was the only scholar/prophet they owned). So, like the moral cowards they are in Bethel...they blamed the brothers in the Kingdom Halls for running ahead of the organization.

Fred Franz said himself what Blondie said. Because everybody EXPECTED IT it could not happen.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Witnees rank and file could NOT have made this up on their own - if it were not WTS policy, and they had tried to make it up, they would have been immediately disfellowshipped for teaching it...james_woods

You got that right...

• Quentin
    Quentin

There was a book published by the wts in the early fifties, or late forties, my folks had it in their small wt library, that had a chapter, or part of one which touched on the 6000 year chornology. It had a chart, carried the date forward to the seventies. Wish I could remember the book title. It would be priceless.

Also, the first All Scripture Inspired edition, around '59, or '60. Had a chapter devoted to the same subject. With a chart. Yeah, Fredy was getting it into the books where he could. No telling how long he had held those views.

edit to add....what I'd give to have those old publications. Some of those my folks had went back to the late thirties, early forties....

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Interesting comments, all. It brings back a lot of memories from the '75 fiasco.

An important element I remember from the 70s was Daniel's King of the North and King of the South. The WT interpretation of the US South and USSR North had us watching the news closely for the final assault, so very, very near at hand. When the USSR totally imploded, I was dumbfounded... but somehow managed to ignore it and continue. When 'this generation' also collapsed, I was dumbfounded... but somehow managed to ignore that, too. But somehow, it was my experiences at Bethel that made me stop ignoring.

B the X

• james_woods
    james_woods

Indeed Billy - what an ironical time bomb that King of the North and King of the South junk turned out to be.

And they not only had the connection to Armageddon wrong, they even had it wrong about who would come out on top!

You would think that if Freddy was such a great prophet, he would have kind of seen the coming collapse of the Soviets.

Do they still mention this - giving the King of the North a new identity? Maybe they should say it is now Red China and Islam? Probably they would want to hold onto the U.S. as King of the South - given how much they hate the country of their origins which has permitted them so much little-deserved freedom.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Someone should really write a book about the whole 1975 experience. Talk about the excitement going on, what the people around them are doing to prepare for the end, the experiences in the KM of people selling their houses, and the talks given about 1975. I think it would be a really great read for those of us who never got to experience this major letdown. Oh yeah, and the aftermath - the disappointment, the struggling - kinda like after a huge war.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Nosferati - that is not a bad idea. The problem as I see it is whether anybody from my era (I was 26 in 1975, had been JW for about 12 years or so) - has actually kept good enough notes or has a perfect memory of all the events.

Of course, in my view 1975 was a very diverse experience. Many of the older sisters (single, or with NBMates) were the most enthusiastic for it. I guess it was their way of living the fantasy that all their troubles would soon be over. The other group who hit on this the hardest was a certain class of self-important elder types (servants before the elders came about). They were the types always angling themselves into "important" assembly talks, and loved to hammer on 1975 as a test of faith. Funny that one of the biggest jerks I knew who fell into this category also just dearly loved to go on about that stupid "heart and brain" idea - where the heart literally was sort of a second brain and could lead you into immorality. He was ironically later DFd for immorality.

Most single guys in the U.S. of my age at the time it was being taught were probably more worried about the draft board than the great tribulation - and probably believed in the possibility of the draft board putting them in prison as being far more real than some new iteration of the old "Armageddon is near" line. What actually happened for us was the end of the selective service system in the early to mid seventies (which the good old WTS probably hated, because it was keeping a lot of us in Bethel or as pioneers).

Personally, I was never a believer in it, and so probably tended to associate with others who took it with a grain of salt.

I do remember that many elders, even many circuit overseers, were moderates on this idea. I heard many precaution the fanatics (particularly after one of the most rabid assembly talks on the subject) - that we need to be careful in picking a date. That was still permissible speech because "we know not the day nor the hour". Some would even say that the 6000 year + 1000 year chronology might even be suspect. I do know that in the final year - before October 75 - you hardly heard a word on the subject. The real frenzy was several years before. It was almost as if everyone had a real dread that this was not going to come true.

Many also behaved sort of like the silent victims of a con-man swindle after it was all over. They were actually ashamed and afraid to admit that they took it seriously, so became second victims of the Society telling them it never happened or that it was all in their own minds. Of course, post 1975 many just voted with their feet, and a 3 to 4 year period of losses rather than growth resulted.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

- "The problem as I see it is whether anybody from my era (I was 26 in 1975, had been JW for about 12 years or so) - has actually kept good enough notes or has a perfect memory of all the events."

I don't think that's absolutely necessary. There's enough experiences out on the net, there's that talk on Randy's site, I'm sure that some sort of story could be compiled from all those. It doesn't have to be based on one person's experience from that time, but perhaps what one person could have experienced at that time using fictional characters. Combine multiple experiences into a few characters, and you've got a great read. As long as it communicates the overall feeling of the urgency to the reader, I think that's all that really counts.

• startingover
    startingover

Great stuff Terry!!

I lived through it too. I was sure the end would come before I turned 21. I find it so odd now that I lived so many years without ever hearing the name WIlliam Miller, who was a you wrote, the basis for the whole thing. And that happened by accident watching the History channel a few years ago.

In conversations with my folks after learning the real truth behind 75, they told me they weren't about to make life changing decisions based on that date. I told them thanks for telling me they thought that way, because I did. It was then that I told them they never raised me, I was raised by an organization.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Brilliant review Terry.. You have to have lived through those times in order to understand it ..People today cannot grasp :

The hysteria, the enthusiasm and the emotional high of those 7 years

You could have mentioned the book "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the sons of God" released 1966. That had the chart showing 1975 as "End of 7000 years of mans existence (in early autumn) " That was the first time I heard it. Our old P.O. actually beamed and said that "They say this book has the date of Armageddon".

As time got closer everybody was on a high ! I recall conversations like "Suppose it actually goes the full term to '75, what state will the world be by then? " ..Or "We no longer think in years, only months "...I went to the dentist in Autumn '74. I remember saying to my wife""Well, thats the last dentist appointment I will have to make - The New World will come before I need another"..

Of course it did not....What would we do? There had been a famous footballer come "in" in those lead up years and he famously said on television that if it did not come by '75 he would "chuck the Bible out of the window" - (I don't believe he did do that ) but we had to prove that we were made of sterner stuff - that we were not fair weather Christians, so we stoically put our heads down and got on with the ministry .When anybody raised the issue we denied that our Organisation had ever said it...but inside we were disappointed....I just did not see how Jehovah would allow his people to be so publicly embarrassingly wrong....

Personally it changed my view of "The Society" No longer did I believe that they spoke "the next thing to inspired scripture " - I followed their lead but I say them in a different light. My faith was never quite the same.

It still took another 20 years before I saw clearly enough to quit, though - some of us are slow learners !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit