Has anyone tried Japanese Wasabi...try if you dare...

by zeroday 38 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

The ginger! I forgot the ginger. I dont know hey, i could eat sashimi plain. Oooh

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Wasabi is the best! One of the main reasons why I crave sushi!

• sir82
    sir82

I've read that 99% of the wasabi available in the US is basically horseradish paste + green food coloring, and that "real" wasabi is only easily available in Japan, is quite a bit different than the US version.

Anyone know if that is true? What is "real" wasabi like?

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

The first time I had Wasabi was in Toronto when I was on vacation. I has never seen it before so I announced to the table of more than 10 people with me, "Just to show you how open minded I am about food, I am going to put this whole thing (a giant ball of Wasabi) in my mouth without knowing what it is."
    Pop, in it went. Nothing. Then suddenly I couldn't breathe, my face flushed, everyone was laughing and I was desperately trying to say, "Call 911." Seriously, I thought I was going to die.

• Switch
    Switch

You guys got my mouth watering. I love, love, love sushi with wasabi. Sometimes I make salmon stir-fry and spice up the teriyaki sauce with wasabi. Yum, yum.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I've read that 99% of the wasabi available in the US is basically horseradish paste + green food coloring, and that "real" wasabi is only easily available in Japan, is quite a bit different than the US version.

Anyone know if that is true? What is "real" wasabi like?

Could be. Wasabi is grown in Oregon, among other places, and it is quite real. But the wiki entry indicated that most of it available is bogus, and I must admit it does remind me of horseradish a lot. Best to pay very close attention to the label.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I like Wasabi and hot things. The fellow in the video had to much Wasabi on his Sushi.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel
    Sad, but true. Another lookalike food. This is a so called wasabi packet I fetched from a recent sushi tray.

wasabi fraud

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Love it, I keep some in my fridge and when ever I get a stuffy nose I put some in my mouth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit