New York City

by sandy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian
    i want to recommend a restraunt but do not know the name of it....jit prob in little italy......pretty much a stucco cave, but in the back it has boccie ball will a small gallery area to watch...what a place...anyone know the name?.........have fun oompa

oompa, are you thinking of Mama Leone's? It had a kind of a grotto type of atmophere, kind of like a cave. It's in the theatre district though, on W. 44th St., not in Little Italy. Besides, I think they closed it down, it was too expensive to operate in that area.

BTW congatulations on the trip, Sandy!! Have a great time!

CyrusThePersian

Edited to add: Mama Leone's didn't have bocce, so I'm probably thinking of a different place than you are. New York is covered with Italian and Greek restaurants (I love Greek food), just try them all!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Zana's at the Hotel Thirty Thirty, 30 East 30th Street Manhattan. WONDEFUL food, service and ambience.

momz

• free2think
    free2think

That's great Sandy, congrats and enjoy. I hope you have a fantastic time.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

There's a great Mexican Restaurant called Hell's Kitchen. It's 679 9th Ave between 46th and 47th St. Very well known too.

FYI: Everything in New York is expensive so be prepared to pay more. Stay away from chain restaurants like Applebees and Fridays as they charge much more for the same food and portion sizes as those in other cities. Some of the best places to eat are the Mom and Pop restaurants that exist throughout Manhattan. Ask the hotel staff for their recommendations.

Have fun.

• oompa
    oompa

iL Vagabondo is the bocce restraunt....and there since 1968 or so.....a must go imo........

http://www.ilvagabondo.com/

351 East 62nd Street
    New York, NY 10021

Between First & Second Avenues

212 832.9221

bocce@ilvagabondo.

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks for all the congrats and recommendations.

I am so excited about the trip. It is not till the end of the month so I have some time to plan.

I'm definitely going to see a play, which one though I still don't know.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Good deal! what days will you be here? maybe the ex-jw meetup group could have a dinner the day you arrive. We were thinking of doing a meetup on July 26 (dinner and then salsa dancing at lincoln center). Let us know when you plan on coming.

• CD
    CD

have a great stay in Nycity Sandy....ny is the best city on the planet :)

• llbh
    llbh

I loved NY too

I agree with momz choice of restaurant too, great food and service even if you are vegetarian.

David

• betty boop
    betty boop

Hi Sandy!

A really good mexican restaurant is Rosa Mexicano on 58th and 1st ave and theres another on 18th street between Park and Broadway i believe. A bit pricey but pretty good and DELICIOUS pomegranate margaritas. Theres another called Dos Caminos on Park Ave, cant remember the cross streets. its similar to Rosa and their margarita specialty is prickly pear margarita and amazing guacamole.

On 16th st and 8th ave a place called Maryannes which is pretty good.

Theres another place called Mercadito which is really good. Cant remember where it is but it is in the village. Im sure you can google all of these, most have websites

Italian theres a place called Portobello, my fave Italian place in the city. Its in the west village on Thompson street.

Chinese on 60th and 3rd theres China Fun but its not a place to go out to dinner like for a night out. more of an early meal type of place but really good....

And aside from that there are a lot of good variety of places to eat. Its so many hard for me to remember all.

Lucy Latin Kitchen and Pipa are owned by the same people and are all in the 14th st.vicinity. Lucy Latin Kitchen is more carribean and south american food. Croquetas and empanadas are omg amazing! And delish mojitos. Pipa is more Spaniard and equally mouth watering. As you can tell i like alcohol lol so i suggest trying a drink in both

HAVE FUN. theres so much to do here and its summer thats so fantastic. not much beats NYC in the summer. but its hot so wear comfy flip flops and cool clothes. if you take the subway its HOT down there so just warning you. Go get some gelato down in the west village too. not sure of exact places but you can ask around. most are good.

if you need suggestions as to where to go out out let me know, although not sure if your sis would be down

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit