New York City

by sandy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

I'll be in NYC this month (July) for a two night stay I won through a radio station here in Los Angeles. I AM SO EXCITED! Hotel and air are completely paid for.

So anyone have any restaurant suggestions? Mexican or Italian places? Not too expensive.

I wish I could meet up with a few of you here that live there but I'm taking my sister who is an active dub and she'd be totally freaked, to say the least. LOL

I'll be staying in NYC at a hotel on W 57th Ave. I can't think of the name of the hotel at the moment.

• Dagney
    Dagney

That is so awesome Sandy!!!! I think it's the most exciting city. I know all the food, even in the diners or the carts on the street was always good. Not sure there is much Mexican...you would be better off trying the local cultural food and diners IMHO.

Have a great time!!!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Mexican food doesn't exist in NYC. Italian and Chinese are plentiful

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks Dagney. I can't wait. I visited once when I was about 20 but that was to see Bethel. LOL I didn't get to do much in the city that time. We can only stay the two days so I'm going to make the most of my time there.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Two days....I'm sure you realize you won't need to sleep!!!

I hope some NY'ers post some current "must sees" for you. What station did you win the tickets from?

• oompa
    oompa

Congrats!...i want to recommend a restraunt but do not know the name of it....jit prob in little italy......pretty much a stucco cave, but in the back it has boccie ball will a small gallery area to watch...what a place...anyone know the name?.........have fun oompa

there is also a pizza place (award winner) just to the left of a famous tennis shoe store all the rappers buy at...great store....of course I do not know the name of either dammit.......oompa

• Dagney
    Dagney
    I first won tickets to the Sex and the City Movie last month. Then KOST 103.5 called me this past week and told me that the Grand Prize winner of the NYC trip declined and I was next in line to win. OMG! If I could just have some of my luck carry over to the Lotto. LOL

OMG girl...you are on a winning streak...absolutely...buy Lotto!!! Sooo happy for you! I remember the SATS tickets you won last month and was soooooooooooooooooooooo bummed I couldn't go with you. I was meeting new apostates the same night LOL. Take pictures and bring them to your next fest! Promise?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Don't know why "wha happened" says there's no Mexican food in the city, quite a few of decent Mexican restaurants, check out menupages.com before you get here. So many places to enjoy a meal here, in the village, the upper west side, just about every block in the city has a decent restaurant. Check out the upper west side around Columbus and Amsterdam in the 80's and 90's, door to door restaurants, same for the village too, a well as midtown. Midtown especially around Times Square is a tourist trap, so I try to steer clear, however, you will be a tourist, so enjoy.

• Mr. Ted
    Mr. Ted

Hey Sandy! Have fun in NYC!

I'm going to be there between July 8th and 12th -- but my schedule looks quite full or I'd love to meet up. If you're not familiar with the city you might want to check out nycvisit.com -- it might give you some ideas.

I think they might have those book-of-tickets (or whatever they're called) which includes admittance to many NYC venues: go to the top of the Empire State building; boat trip around Manhattan, museums, theater, etc. Will you have time to take in a Broadway/ off-Broadway play?

There is a complete spectrum of ethnic restaurants in NYC. (Your hotel will probably have a list.) And 'wha happened' (your name reminds me of a character from a Christopher Guest movie) -- they do have Mexican restaurants in Manhattan. Although I can remember way back in 1968-69, not being able to find one. I couldn't even find tortillas except in a can. I don't think they even had Taco Bell fast-food places then (but they do now). But I was young -- and restaurants didn't really matter to me then.

Have fun Sandy. Be sure and tell up about your trip when you get back.

Ted

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

What I mean by doesn't exist is nothing decent exists. You will find listings but the Mexican food out there is just awful

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit