This dreaded day has finally came...my Kasey girl has cancer. :-(

by FreedomFrog 26 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

We've been fighting a tumor that is on her leg...because of her age, the Dr and I decided to not do surgery back in April because it would be too stressful and the tumor wasn't growing.

In the past 2 weeks, the tumor took off growing so fast that now she's in danger of it breaking open.

We are going to have the tumor removed tomorrow since the Dr. said that she is happy and not in pain and can have a bit more time with her.

We may have her for another 6 months, possibly a year. I can't put her down just yet and since the Dr says she's not exactly at that point just yet, we're going to keep her until she starts going down hill.

I'll let you know when we do get to the point of actually having to put her down.

I'm scared a bit because I'm so attached to this dog as well as the kids are. This is going to be a very traumatic and emotional time when the final day does arrive.

I'm concerned because we may end up losing her tomorrow. We'll know around noon tomorrow.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Sorry to hear about Kasey.

We lost one of ours to cancer too.

Heartbreaking.....

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Oh, I'm so sorry!

We lost our 8 yr old cat this spring. He had diabetes. We thought we had been managing it well. One night he stayed out all night. When I let him in the house, he stepped in the door and never walked again. They fought for 3 days but ended up having to put him down.

Then we had been feeding a beautiful white stray cat. I found her stretched out in the lawn dead.

I hope you and the kids are OK. Give Kasey a kiss on her head from us.

momz

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Aawww FF - I know exactly what you are going through. I"ve been fighing cancer in my girl since last fall - and it won't be long now I don't think. All you can do is love them as much as you can for the time you have left.

Hugs to you!!

BB

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

The comforting part about this is Kasey has had a WONDERFUL life. She goes camping with me, or had every year up until about a year ago when she was sleeping more and not as active as she had been.

I've had her since she was 6 months old. The old girl will still do her tricks even today (good sport), like "speaking", shaking hands/paw, and a few more tricks...though we don't do that much more because it's time for her to just enjoy life and be lazy...lol

I'm hoping we can have her for at least another year. If the cancer is only contained (in a block as the Dr described) we may very well get another year out of her. Though, tomorrow they will do testings on her liver/heart/kidneys to make sure. It all depends on those test whether or not we will continue on the with the surgery or have to put her down.

The Dr and staff have been wonderful. They have taken care of her since '96 maybe '97 when we moved in Columbus. Because they knew her and know us and know of money being tight, the surgery will only be $200 and I can make 3 payments. The surgery would normally cost $700. so I got a big discount. They also knew that if it was more than I could afford, I would have had no choice but to put her down. Thank goodness I have a great vet. Now I'll just hope the cancer is contained.

• Casper
    Casper

Losing a pet is so heartbreaking....

I can completely sympathize with your situation, I lost my best friend a few years ago, I can't bring myself to replace him. It just hurt too much.

Make her remaining time as comfortable as possible, I would spoil her rotten...

Sincerely hope tomorrow goes well.

(((((Hugs))))

Cas

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

alt

Kasey today, resting from the excitement of the Dr visit. See her gray little (well, big) face.

alt

Sierra, Kasey, and Zach

alt

I caught Kasey with this doll of Sierra's a few months back. And no, this is not a "set up" picture. I just happened to walk in Sierra's room and there she was on the bed just like this...LOL

• Casper
    Casper

Goodness,

Those pics make me cry....

Cas

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Yeah, me too casper...though we still have her for now. I know it's a very short time but still it's painful.

Can you see her eyelashes are gray as well in the top part? I think it's cute but also tells me she close to her time. I just hope the Dr doesn't tell me it'll be tomorrow.

• Casper
    Casper

Yes, that is cute.... dang, why does life have to throw us these curve balls ....

They become ( for my family and myself) such a part of the family...It's just not fair that one of the most loyal animal friends on earth, lives such a short time compared to humans...

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow and look forward to an update...

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit