Another year without F1 in the States

by JK666 36 Replies latest jw friends

• JK666
    JK666

Wow,

This really sucks, especially for a tifosi like me:

The FIA has unveiled the provisional calendar for the 2009 season, confirming the arrival of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the absence of a race in the United States.

The season will begin again in Australia in late March and will finish in Abu Dhabi in November. The calendar will have 19 races, one more than this year.

The United States Grand Prix, absent this season, will not return next year despite Indianapolis bosses admitting they would welcome F1 back if a financial supporter was found.

Changes on the calendar include the Turkish Grand Prix moved from May to August and the British Grand

Prix moved ahead of the French race.

Provisional 2009 calendar:

March 29 Australia
    April 5 Malaysia
    April 19 Bahrain
    May 10 Spain
    May 24 Monaco
    June 7 Canada
    June 21 Great Britain
    June 28 France
    July 12 Germany
    July 26 Hungary
    August 9 Turkey
    August 23 Europe (Valencia)
    September 6 Italy
    September 13 Belgium
    September 27 Singapore
    October 11 Japan
    October 18 China
    November 1 Brazil
    November 15 Abu Dhabi

JK

• JK666
    JK666

bttt,

This topic appears to be a true turd in a punchbowl.

JK

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Isn't there going to be a Grand Prix in July in San Jose (California)? Or am I getting race categories confused?

There was Grand prix in San Jose and in Las Vegas last year, nothing in Vegas this year that I've heard about.

• llbh
    llbh

Why does France get two races?

I would have thought that the US would be a big enough market ti get 2 or 3 races .

BTW Lewis Hamilton used to live near here, now he has gone to Switzerland

David

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

JK666- I almost wet my pants! F1 on this site? Usually need to go to, planet f1 for my updates. Anyway, go Kubica!

• JK666
    JK666

VE,

You have gotten categories mixed. The Indy Racing League calls some of their races Grand Prix, but they are not Formula One. The USGP has been in numerous places in the past, Watkins Glen, Detroit, Long Beach, Dallas, Las Vegas, and most recently Indianapolis. Tony George and Bernie Ecclestone have been in a pissing match about money for the past couple of years, and is keeping Formula One out of the U.S. The only F1 race on the North American calendar is Montreal for the Canadian GP.

Llbh,

Yes, we should have more, just a political and monetary clusterf**k.

JK

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

FYI- I have not missed a race in 8 years- and have skipped many meetings for F!. Oh wait, I would skip a meeting in order to light myself on fire!

• JK666
    JK666

treadn,

Yes, I am glad Robert is alive, after Canada last year!

What an amazing wreck he lived through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJY_f7Djmw

I am currently happy that he is second in the standings, and that BMW is kicking Team McLaren's Bootocks right now.

JK

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Is it to do with the fiasco where there were only a couple of cars or so driving round the circuit due to an issue with tyres or something? Can't remember exactly what and when...

• JK666
    JK666

EO,

I do not think it has anything to do with the tire fiasco. I was there for that one. So many fans were pissed off, but they sure took the free tickets the next year that Michelin coughed up. I actually got 4 tickets for free, because I had two to the botched up race. We ended up taking a couple of friends with us.

It all came down to Tony George (Head of Indianapolis Motor Speedway) and Bernie Ecclestone (Head of F1) arguing about money. I guess the millions that both of them made was not enough. I will post a picture I took from the debacle of 2005 (of course of the Ferraris):

alt

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit