Do You Still Believe In Anything JWs Taught You?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A good question, min !

It got me thinking. Let's see:

God? Yes, certainly, but not the same Jehovah God they teach.

Jesus? certainly, but not the same Jesus they teach.

Holy spirit? certainly, but not the "active force™" they teach

Erm, what else?......

Oh, yes, Armageddon? don't be silly!

New system? Huh?

"Faithful & discreet slave™" ? No, I don't believe in that cult.

Blood transfusions? Nope, don't agree with their prohibitions on that one.

I think I'm coming to the same conclusion that Jeff did.....NO!!!!

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

This is a good question. When it comes to doctrines that are exclusively JW, I reject them all. And they are not the only Christians who believe, for example, that hell is not a place of torment, etc. I am appreciative, however, of the fact that by being raised a Witness I avoided some of the problems I could have gotten into, for example drug abuse, teen pregnancy and so forth. I once met a young woman who was raised a JW and left it but had taken up smoking. I thought to myself, "with all the crap that religion dumped on you, too bad you weren't able to benefit from the good from it and protect your health." I knew Witness kids that did get into trouble though. And many good churches (and non-religious parents for that matter) help their kids stay out of trouble, so I don't think the JW religion gave me anything positive I couldn't have gotten elsewhere, and it came with a big load of abuse.

• catbert
    catbert

As per Genesis 7:4
    "For in just seven days more I am making it rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and I will wipe every existing thing that I have made off the surface of the ground.”

I believe that Noah brought all 100,000 known species of beatles on the ark, and that God killed everything that lived on the face of the earth with a flood, because they were all bad, especially chipmunks.

• I quit!
    I quit!

"The true will set you free" Once you learn the truth about the Watchtower you can be set free from it if that is what you desire.

• mistorie
    mistorie

No. In fact I would go so far as to say that I never learned about god or jesus from the jw's. The whole focus was on what the gb sent down and how close the end of the system was. What they said was all I knew. I have absolutely NO concept of what god is, heaven or spirituality at all. I'm not looking to find god because to me religion is entirely about corrupt men, greed, humiliation, prejudice, hate, intolerance, guilt, and fear. I've had enough of that. I walked away feeling betrayed and used by one organization that preached they were god's mouthpiece by destroying families, creating distrust and keeping their flock poor and stupid. If that is what god is in favor of then I absolutely want nothing to do with him/it/whatever.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I still refuse to salute the American flag, but not for the "idolotry" reasons of the WTS. I just don't like being required to put my patriotism on display as proof for others to see. It feels like coercion to me. Won't fly the flag for the same reason.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Only the humanitarian stuff.

I think that was in the book called...... ummmmm.... aaaarrr.

Sheeeeesh.

I must be getting senile.

Someone help me out here.... I can't remember the name of it.

Cheers

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No Trinity (if Jesus' teaching was figurative and he was trying to get others to think on their own, that would explain why Jesus and God would be written as one and the same person).

No Hellfire. Even if a person were to go to hell, the heat would not bother them because a spirit cannot be harmed by heat or cold.

Everything else is total hogwash. I don't believe anything morally that they teach (in fact, most of it is blatantly the opposite of the real truth). As for "bad associations", anyone that refuses to be reasoned with, when it is blatant that they are wrong, is bad association. As is anyone that wishes to keep me celibate, wants to host me against my will, wants me entangled in the organization, wants me in the Value Destroyer Training School, and is scheming to force me to go to the Grand Boasting Session as a prop for some highly destructive talks.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Hellfire...Still don't believe it. Hubby says I'm going to hell for sure for not believing in it. Told him I'd meet him there!

• minimus
    minimus

This is a very interesting thread. The responses are telling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit