Fireworks/Kids/Non licensed person...ok? or bad idea?

by FreedomFrog 31 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I've been invited by a group of friends to join them at their house shooting off fireworks. Ok, first red flag is I know they are not licensed and the fireworks are illegal. Though, isn't it "illegal" the same as driving the car a bit over the speed limit?

Two things are happening into my brain. I don't want my kids to be hurt in anyway but never had been around this kind of fireworks display (mainly because of the Borg). I want to take my kids but at the same time not sure if it's wise.

My kids are only 10 and 3 and I've been having a bit of "panic" feelings as the time gets closer.

My son is a bit disappointed because ultimately I've decided to pass it up and just take them to the real fireworks with professionals handling them and at the same time at a distance.

Is my mother instinct kicking in too much and I'm overreacting or is my instincts telling me right?

• llbh
    llbh

|f you unsure you are unsure don't, follow your instincts .

The safety of your kids is more important, than a firework dispaly Fireworks can be, and are dangerous.

Take em to the movies instead

David

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Don't get me wrong...I AM taking them on July 4th for the parade/games/fun/and fireworks but where they shoot them off in a certain field and by professionals...

I'm a bit sad because I don't want to be a "party pooper" for my kids...though at the same time I'm really nervous about the friend that is going to be setting them off...and not being licensed or professionally trained.

I just don't want my kids to feel like their mom is being over paranoid and prevent them from doing fun things.

The movie is a good idea...(though, granted, not as "fun")

• John Doe
    John Doe

Fireworks are not hard to control. I would take them, but make sure you keep a safe distance from the explosives and make sure they are not pointed at you. ;-)

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I did not think I would be the "worrying" over my kids type of mother before I had kids.

I would always say "yeah, sure, I'd let them do just about anything" prior to having children.

This reminds me (again) of a comic strip from a paper years ago about a young lady giving advice to a mother stating that they would do this or that...the mother responded "the best parenting comes BEFORE having children"....LOL... I so understand it now.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Freedom, when I was 10 I was making my own fireworks. I never needed no stinking license. ;-)

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have only been to a couple "licensed" shows.

Living in Texas, and now in Missouri, family and friends have always lived in the country. Either that, or we were camping at the lake. It just takes some common sense, and safety. No one has ever lost a finger or toe when I've been there.

• JK666
    JK666

FF,

Fireworks are safe if you have a respect for them and keep your distance. Unfortunately, many people do stupid things with fireworks, and it becomes very unsafe. Me and a bunch of JW buddies used to drink and do some of the stupid stuff. That gives me an idea for another thread!

Bottom line, if you don't trust the person setting them off, you have made the right decision.

JK

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Bottom line, if you don't trust the person setting them off, you have made the right decision.

Well, the friend that invited me I think I know and trust...though the one that is going to set them off is young and I do not know at all.

All the friends I do know I've only known for about a year and don't know how they handle things like this.

If only I could get more information on exactly how, where and what precautions they are going to use I may feel more comfortable. But being in the "dark" so to speak sends fear through me.

If only I could have seen how they handled things when they sat them off in the past...or if somehow I could see the do it this time and see how responsible they are...I could feel a bit better.

*sigh*

• John Doe
    John Doe

What's their dad think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit