Fireworks/Kids/Non licensed person...ok? or bad idea?

by FreedomFrog 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well fireworks are legal in Tennessee, but just about every town here has outlawed them, even some counties including my own, doesn't stop people from using them though.

Just be careful whatever you do and remember that alcohol and fireworks can be a dangerous combination, so if you see drunk people shooting off fireworks, steer clear of them.

Have fun and have a happy 4th of July.

• brinjen
    brinjen

We have cracker night here every 1st of July. Everyone buys their own fireworks and can set them off legally 6-11pm. There was one accident last year when someone lost an eye but, you guessed it, alcohol was involved. One accident among tens of thousands around the city setting them off....

We usually head down to the beach, few hundred metres away from the trees, partially bury them in the sand aimed towards the water. Lots of fun.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Freedom Frog, here in MI we have had a number of people badly injured and killed because they were blowing off fireworks.

JD is right in that they are not hard to control, unfortunately, too many people are just plain dumbasses and have no freaking clue how NOT to get their head blown off (as in the case of a woman last year who stuck her head OVER the thing when it didn't go off. When it did.....well she's dead now and her son watched the entire thing).

Point being: Yes there are non professionals who know what they're doing. But too often, they don't.

We had neighbors next door blow off some real pretty, real illegal stuff their first 4th of July. They blew them off feet away from our bedroom windows, scared my dog, scared my daughter and they honestly didn't care. The following year, the people behind us blew them off and there was really little room between our homes. When they were asked to stop doing it, they copped an attitude. Too often, people who want to blow them off have really given little to no thought to the area in which they are playing around and honestly only care about their own fun.

In this day and age, neighborhoods are not very close knit and people really have no idea who lives next door to them or behind them. They know little about the neighbors with the autistic son or the person struggling with an illness. They are quite often consumed with their own needs and desires and do not take into consideration their surroundings before making the decision to have the fireworks show.

This is NOT always the case. There are times still where neighbors have a close knit relationship to where it's become a neighborhood tradition. However, as you said, you don't know these people that well and without having answers to the above questions it's perfectly okay to be the bad guy and say no.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First of all, fireworks are not illegal everywhere. In some states, they are perfectly legal. In others, there are restrictions and you might need a permit to let them off. And there might be rules as to where you are allowed to let them off.

Now for some safety tips. First, never let them off too close to your ears or head. They are very loud and can cause permanent deafness. You could also lose an eye or a hand if they go off too close to your hands or eyes.

Fireworks should never be thrown where other people might be. Serious injury could result. Also, be careful not to let them off where they might start a fire or damage property. Around cars is a bad idea (the gas could blow up). Also, if you are letting them off around dry brush, you are asking for a fire. The best places to let them off is around water (and then you have to worry about pollution issues), on large asphalt or concrete parking lots, or around large areas of dirt where there is little or no danger of starting a fire. And having access to water is a good idea so you can put out any fires you do manage to start.

Finally, show some respect for the neighbors. Letting fireworks off in the middle of the night is not cool if someone is trying to sleep. Try to let them off away from residential areas, and if you are going to let them off where people are living, try to keep it to a reasonable hour. Even if the fireworks themselves are legal, they might create a noise issue that could get you a fine.

If you are going to let off fireworks, you should also beware that drinking and letting off fireworks do not mix. And children should not be allowed to let them off without close adult supervision because there is the risk of serious injury and property damage. Fireworks are inherently dangerous because they are small explosive devices. With that in mind, it might be more fun to let the professionals set them off--because those fireworks are much more impressive. Besides, the professionals know the risks and are prepared to take them.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I was quite nervous the first time my adoptive family was going to set off fireworks. They were all excited and making plans and I was trying to figure out a way to remove my kids from the scene.

I was assured that Uncle Al knew what he was doing so I stuck around and kept my kids close.

Papa and uncle made sure everyone was well back and were very serious about safety. It turned out to be quite a thrill for my boys(8,5 and 3) and was lots of fun.

All in all, you can pick your kids up and leave if you feel it is unsafe. I had to relax my own preconcieved ideas in order to enjoy a new experience.

Bobbi

• jstalin
    jstalin

What kind of fireworks are they? Store-bought sissy fireworks (like fountains and snakes), or fireworks that leave the ground (roman candles, bottle rockets, etc)? If they're just plain ole store-bought fountains and such, there's nothing to worry about - just keep the kids at a safe distance.

• james_woods
    james_woods

My neighborhood saw not one but three $250,000 homes burned to the ground by pop bottle rockets. They were illegal in Carrolton at the time - about ten years back, but all it took was one of them.

The houses all had wood-shingled roofs, and when the first one caught on fire from a rocket, sparks and cinders found their way to the two next door neighbors roofs and all three were gone before anything could be done.

Wood shingles for roofing has also been banned by the building code - and there was a contraversy at the time on how these houses ever made it by the code inspectors even when they were built in the late 1980s.

So, the morale of the story is that whatever goes up in the air, and on fire, has to come down somewhere...a house, a dry brush pile, the back seat of your new convertible, - well you get my point, I hope.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    you don't know these people that well and without having answers to the above questions it's perfectly okay to be the bad guy and say no.

Yeah, that's my feelings. I don't even know exactly where it is going to be. After talking with Zach, he understands why I feel this way. Even though Zach felt disappointed, he feels excited about going to the big fireworks that will happen with professionals.

What kind of fireworks are they?

Really, I have no idea...just that "fireworks" were going to be happening and it "should" be fun. Besides, I don't know enough about fireworks to know which are "store-bought sissy" ones and which are the more involved.

I had already canceled and it feels "right". I haven't been staying up all night worrying about it now.

• undercover
    undercover

We shoot off illegal fireworks at a 4th of July party...but have fire extenquishers and water buckets for emergencies.

We set up a boundry line, no kids beyond that point...they have to stay back, way back. Only drunken adults are allowed to play with fireworks you silly children...

• lola28
    lola28

Don't do it if there's a chance the kids could be hurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit