HELP ME, HELP ME...PLEASE!!!

by Quentin 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't care if you or other people read it. Fact is, you said that it bored you to tears. Fact is, a lot of people commented on how hard it was to read. Perhaps, another fact is that it's not such a great book, but rather poorly thought out. In view of all of the above, i'm curious about what is your motivation for reading it. What is it's value to you?

S

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

No offense, but I pretty much find all things EXJW boring. Cheers on that to you Quint.

• Quentin
    Quentin
    What is it's value to you?... Satanus...

Fair enough....

Knowledge. Marx and Ingles bored me to tears as well, yet I waded through their writings. There was a time I had a small library. About thirty books, or so. These books were heavey with margin notes...indexed notes and page numbers in the back. No longer have that library.

Somewhere, over the last ten to twelve years, I lost my way. Can't mount an offense, or defense on any subject. I'm lost as Hogans goat. I don't like that. So, when I was given the book and started reading couldn't get through it. Is it me, have I become so dumbed down I can't read anymore with understanding? Appears from comments made, it's the book. Now that makes me feel better, because I've read some very dull books in my day. But, I always got something out of them.

I want to get back what I had, Thus my topic. You either understand that, or you don't.

No offense, but I pretty much find all things EXJW boring...IP_SEC

Duly noted....

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

Some parts of it (ISoCF) difficult, but it helped me to deconstruct some of their teachings scripturally. CoC did that as well with the annointed / great crowd break down and the blood doctrine. But ISoCF did it with "the name" and what type of organization is necessary for religion. I didn't follow him on certain things (Michael Servetus view of Jesus), but I thought it was worth my time.

This may be a decent suggestion: Read through the table of contents and find a subject that you are still hung up on and check it out.

A scriptural argument against WTS doctrine is only valuable if you 1.) believe in the value of scripture (or 2. really just want to prove to someone else that they are wrong using the Bible). If neither of those two are true for you, then ISoCF will likely be a very dry read. I want to add that it could also be a dry read for you even if both of these are true, but seems like if definitely would if neither of the two are true.

• Quentin
    Quentin
    .........Read through the table of contents and find a subject that you are still hung up on and check it out. LayingLow

Thanks for the suggestion....using the Bible to refute wt teaching is important, however, using their own writings is more effective...either way it's a hard row to hoe...even with the most lame fence sitter....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ok, well that's cool. It was just a question that your thread brought up. Guess we both see it more clearly, now.

S

• undercover
    undercover

I enjoyed CofC because of being able to relate to the subject matter. I grew up a JW and seeing a lot of the things that I believed being discussed in such a frank manner, exposing the ugliness of some of the Pharisaic traditions and doctrines, was fascinating.

But I've never read In 'Search of Christian Freedom' because I'm not searching for Christian Freedom, I'm searching for freedom from Christianity. I figured that book would hold no value to me, so I never bothered.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

stilla:

Try The Gentile Times Reconsidered - that is a great read

you're stillawag!

• Quentin
    Quentin

Yup...Gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit