profanity

by janitorforlife 26 Replies latest jw friends

• janitorforlife
    janitorforlife

my disfellowshipped dad told me leaving "the truth" had not been good for me as I used too much profanity and liked to drink. When I first became "free" I guess I went overboard with profanity and enjoyed the freedom to go to bars if I wanted. They were novelties. I think I have found a balance now

Anyone else have that experience?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Mine has been a bit more balanced I guess.

I use 'expletives' far more often than I did as a Jw, but not excessively. I still have not crossed the 'F' line. I drink only moderately - though more than I did as a Jw.

Jeff

• Gopher
    Gopher

JFL,

Your DF'd dad needs to recognize that very many JW's, including elders, can hold their liquor -- they drink in response to all the "stress" of their life. Also, I've known quite a few JW's to use blue language when away from the Kingdom Hall.

Why didn't "staying in the truth" cause all these JW's to stop their private swearing and heavy drinking?

• snowbird
    snowbird

As a JW, I used to think profanity, now I say it!

I'm with you, AK-Jeff, on the F word. That has got to be the most overused word in the English language.

Gopher, is that gopher in your avatar getting heavier? Or, is it my eyesight getting poorer?

Sylvia

• White Dove
    White Dove

The F word is not a word. It is an acronym for rape. So whenever it is used, it means someone wants to or wishes on someone

Forced

Unlawful

Carnal

Knowledge

I really hate that word.

BTW, USA PATRIOT ACT are not words, either, but get translated into Spanish as if they were.

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

EFF' IT ALL...BURN IN HELL.... I haven't a clue what yer driving at....

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I could go on about this topic for hours, but I won't. I vehemently object against anyone getting to decide what words are "bad" words. How can a word be bad? It's a word for cryin' out loud. Foul language? Give me a break, the thought to me is ridiculous. I do not use language that others may find offensive, in their presence, out of respect for their particular viewpoint. Maybe it's rebellion against everything the cult stands for, all I know is I'm free to decide for myself what is acceptable as we all are. I rebel against someone somewhere along the line that I don't know, deeming a word "bad". I'm not buying it.

• oompa
    oompa

I for one cuss a damn good bit...but when I first woke up...I was a frikkin sailor! I started posting here under a differnt name and still have never read the posting rules!...but how I was not banned right away....cause I sure let it fly.....I think that is one of the first thing freedom sets free............you gdmfsob.........haha...........oompa

ps---a big WELCOME to the board...great and funny name too.....hits a bit to close to home, but luckly I have really branched out in trades....I think Mark Twain said...."find something you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life".....congrats too on the fact you and hubby are both out...life is much better that way I bet....good luck

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I never swear in public; as in 'anyone else in the room but me'. But I swear from time to time while alone, when I get mad or frustrated. Hypocritical, I know.

I did the same while I was 'in'.

What puzzles me - - and I have thought of making a topic of it of it's own - - is that I keep swearing using various euphemisms for satan and hell. Things I don't believe in - hell(!); - I never even believed in hell in the first place! In my language, it's more common to use swear words derived from 'satan', 'devil', 'hell' etc. than the physical act of lovemaking and various body parts, as is common in the UK and US.

It's as if I need those 'really bad' swear words, even though I don't believe in the concepts. It's just that they're considered 'bad', I guess, and one needs something with 'bite' to it if a swear is going to be 'effective'. I've tried making up new swear words, like 'mother of a teddybear-hugging sheep!' or things of that nature, but it's just not the same...

• White Dove
    White Dove

What's the big deal of swearing? If not used artfully, it's down right tactless, rude, insulting, and whatever else.

That aside, I swear PG but not R. I hate the F word but love the shit word.

I mean, think of the kind of people who cuss indiscriminately.

It's low class if it's done wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit