profanity

by janitorforlife 26 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

beks may be right after all. Here is the entire snopes article:

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.asp

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Dropping the F-bomb isn't nearly as offensive of JayDub usage of the J-bomb. :oP

• marmot
    marmot

Sorry changeling, that one's an urban legend too.

Wiki:

"There are several urban-legend false etymologies postulating an acronymic origin for the word. None of these acronyms was ever heard before the 1960s, according to the authoritative lexicographical work, The F-Word, and thus are backronyms. In any event, the word fuck has been in use far too long for some of these supposed origins to be possible."

• OtisBarker
    OtisBarker

Changing definitions to appear "the authority," good.

Cursing as a right, good.

Drinking to get drunk as a right, good.

Saying and doing what you want when you want, good.

Repression, bad.

Authority, bad.

Establishment, bad.

Let the cards fall where they may, good.

Big fish eat little fish, good.

It feels good to feels bad.

Otis

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I always remember my English teacher commenting on using common swear words - sign of a weak vocabulary lol. That being said, I rarely swear, but have no hang ups on using the words, and it really does depend on the people I'm around (hint hint A&W LOL), some people just bring out the bad in me.

As for drinking, I can drink a ton of alcohol and still be relatively sober (ask those at the apostafest that thought they could get me drunk lol), but it's also not something I do on a regular basis (I like my liver thank you very much lol). I have no hang ups though when it comes to drinking, and if I want to party and drink, I do and don't feel guilty about it either (and rarely have a hangover).

As for drinking and swearing more as an exJW, no I don't think so. My brother and I used to sneak out of the house and go to bars on Friday and Saturday nights, and every Thursday after the meeting a bunch of us would go to a "resturant" after the meeting (it was a resturant during the day - bar at night, most dubs didn't realize this lol). Alot of drinking goes on with JW's.

BB

• ataloa
    ataloa

I had a really ingrained habit of bad language before I became a JW. Of course I went right back to it when I got out. I try not to ever say anything in front of people though. It mostly happens when I'm frustrated with something I'm trying to do.

I don't like the f word (unlike Hortensia ) but it might occasionally slip out when I'm trying to open a jar. Now my grandkids are moving nearby and I've got to get it under control again.

I never drank much. I actually feel like I need to drink more, just in case there might be some health benefits.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Don't drink at all, because if I do, one drink turns into MANY. Swear a lot, but it must be genetic. My dad is a creative cusser who mixes swear words together and with other words. The older I get, the more like him I become.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit