Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• sparky1
    sparky1

AK-Jeff,

Marvin Olsen was my first roomate when we were newboys at Watchtower Farm in '74. He seemed 'zombie-like' even then. After losing his brother, I think the family 'mantle' of full time service passed to him by default. He was a nice guy though and would never do anyone any harm.

Peace

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Hey Tom I have found evidence of a coverup story concerning page 93 of live forever book I'll keep you posted.

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Thanks BS,

But you should know that I don't own any WT literature except a NWT. I don't know what the live forever book is. Better plan on scanning in a page or portion of a page for me.

Thanks,

Tom

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

why is this thread so glitchy? is it locked?

• cathyk
    cathyk

Since all you old Bethelites are here, did any of you know a girl named Wendy who worked on the computer systems in the early 80s?

I showed up at the factory for a tour all by myself, and they dug her up to show me around since there wasn't a regularly scheduled tour at that time. They knew I wasn't a Witness (a 20-something year old girl in corduroy pants, t-shirt, and corduroy cap kinda gave that away).

She was a very pretty blonde, who didn't have the canned presentation down pat, so she introduced me to various workers in the different departments and let them all tell me about their jobs. It was the best tour ever -- I heard a lot more interesting stuff about the workings of the WT factories, and she flirted with all the cute guys. She did tell me that she was engaged, though.

I also got to talk to a gorgeous guy in the typesetting department who let me in on the secret that they were translating the "Bible Stories" book into modern Greek and who showed me some of his work. He winked conspiratorially and I could have just melted ... Wouldn't have been any of you fellows, would it?

Ah, to be young again! :-) At least I managed to find my own Prince Charming not long after that.

Cathy

oldlighthousebooks.blogspot.com

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Hi Cathy,

You may be thinking of Wynne Warren, rather than Wendy. The description you gave of her sounds right. She was then engaged to, and later married, a Bethelite named Warren Pake. She was pretty good friends with my wife and I (Gloria worked in the Computer Department for the last couple of years we were there. Wynne was from the midwest, St Louis if I remember right. Later, they left Bethel and moved out West, maybe Arizona, not sure about that. She was a pistol.

As for the cute guy in typesetting, I have no idea. I don't remember any cute guys at all up there. :-) But did you notice any of the cute guys in the Pressroom?

Smiling as I write this,

Tom

• Quandry
    Quandry

My mother gave everything she had to the WTS for sixty years, and spent a decade in the circuit work with my dad. She gave all her material possessions to the WTS. But she did not get back a penny of assistance or support. When her limited funds finally ran out, the local congregation dumped her in a nursing home and called me, her disowned and disfellowshipped son, to help her.

Tom-

One of the first posts I ever read on this forum was from a disfellowshipped woman who was told by the congregation that she was responsible for caring for her aged mother after being shunned for so many years her mother was a virtual stranger to her. Her mother had dementia, so there could be no relationship to resume, leaving the woman very bitter, and deservedly so.

I also was sincere in my worship. I wanted it all to be true so badly.....but the cruelty of separating families....

I am sorry this happened to you.

• cathyk
    cathyk
    Hi Cathy,

You may be thinking of Wynne Warren, rather than Wendy. The description you gave of her sounds right. She was then engaged to, and later married, a Bethelite named Warren Pake. She was pretty good friends with my wife and I (Gloria worked in the Computer Department for the last couple of years we were there. Wynne was from the midwest, St Louis if I remember right. Later, they left Bethel and moved out West, maybe Arizona, not sure about that. She was a pistol.

As for the cute guy in typesetting, I have no idea. I don't remember any cute guys at all up there. :-) But did you notice any of the cute guys in the Pressroom?

Smiling as I write this,

Tom

Oh my goodness, I do believe that's her! I think I remember her telling me she was from St. Louis (or somewhere in Missouri). I often wonder how she's doing. She was SO much fun to go on that tour with! She didn't treat me in a standoffish manner, which I sometimes got from other Witnesses. She was certainly a lot different from the Bethel home tour guide I got later on that same year. That woman was like a robot. You could almost see the script unrolling, pauses and all. It was so "isn't this a grand prospect"-ish. Hey, there were cute guys all over the place there -- I couldn't believe it. Yes, the pressroom was definitely a good place to rest one's eyes, so you were probably there at the time. You and Randy and the other fellas have all held up nicely over the years, too. Personally I think guys look better when they're older -- including my own husband, who is quite distinguished these days. Another story (yes, I suppose I was obsessed about these things back then): I still remember one time when a young fellow and an older man came to my house in Woodhaven in the late 1970s (I had acquaintances in the Rockaway Unit, BTW). Anyway, my jaw must've dropped, or I must've had some comically lovestruck expression on my face, because the older guy almost started to snicker. Too bad they weren't ALL like that ... I suppose that was fortunate in some ways. :-) Cathy oldlighthousebooks.blogspot.com www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Tom's quote:

"And yet his children may still love him in spite of all that. The purest and highest form of love does not depend upon the loveableness of its object. Therein lies its strength and beauty."

Beautifully said. Thank you for that. Also loved the Narnia "pure heart" bit!

Love,
    Baba.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

shameless Cab plug:

of course. office jobs were looked down upon by us pressroom grunts (and you KNOW the reverse was true!). We enjoyed bein kinda burly.

Office people did not work as hard as we did. Luckily, it showed back then.

We could barely get enough to eat, I was 185 pounds and not much fat, Cabeen workin my damn ass off all day and night! Or was it Tom Miles? Oh, my. We won't go there.

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit