• Terry
    Terry

Religion RSS Yahoo

Posted on Mon, Jun. 09, 2008
    reprint or licenseprintemail Digg itdel.icio.usAIM

Jehovah's Witnesses to gather on six weekends in Fort Worth

By TERRY LEE GOODRICH Star-Telegram staff writer

Most-read stories

More than 42,000 Jehovah's Witnesses from the North Texas/South Oklahoma district will converge on Fort Worth over six weekends, with the first of the three-day events this weekend. The Guided by God's Spirit District Convention sessions will be at Fort Worth Convention Center from Friday through Sunday. About 7,000 people are expected at each weekend's events.

"We focus on the Bible teaching, not on policy or politics," said Robert Miller of Denton, news service director for the convention. "We've been doing this since the 1800s."

While the gatherings are designed to provide encouragement, biblical instruction and training for Jehovah's Witnesses to share their faith, the free conventions can also help others, he said.

"We want to help people understand how the Bible benefits their lives," he said.

Congregations have elders and are instructed by traveling ministers and overseers.

Cities in the district include Fort Worth, Dallas, Abilene, Denton, Weatherford and Wichita Falls.

The first three conventions will be in English and the last three in Spanish, Miller said.

On Friday, the keynote address will be given by David Wilson, a representative from the Brooklyn, N.Y.-based United States Branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses. The topic is the Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah's Purpose.

Afternoon symposiums will focus on living the faith at school, work, home, church and social activities.

Saturday's program theme is Sowing With a View to the Spirit. It will include sessions on fighting temptations and coping with discouragement, persecution and peer pressure.

It also will focus on baptism and include an opportunity to be baptized.

Sunday's theme is Keep Walking by Spirit. It will conclude with a Bible drama.

Convention

When: This weekend; June 20-22 and 27-29; July 4-6 and 11-13; and Aug. 29-31

Times: 9:20 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 9:20 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays

Where: Fort Worth Convention Center, 1111 Houston St., Fort Worth

Information: Call 817-348-8155 beginning Thursday.

Learn more:www.jw-media.org

The numbers

268 congregations invited to the North Texas/South Oklahoma District convention

305 conventions in 76 United States cities this year.

1.6 million projected national attendance.

7 million members worldwide in 101,000 congregations in 236 countries and territories

12 million number of people who attended 3,200 conventions in 2007

Source: Jehovah's Witnesses' Awake! magazine

[email protected]
      TERRY LEE GOODRICH, 817-685-3812

I don't know how long I'll last--but, it strikes me as an interesting idea.

I want to see how these conventions have changed since the last one I attended in 1969!

It will certainly give me a more up to date perspective.

I'll even shave off my ungodly facial hair!

What steps should I take to avoid looking like an Apostate? (I know, I know, no sandwich board signs!)

• Open mind
      Open mind

FYI, the completely fabricated "Bible" Drama is on Sunday right after Lunch. 1:30 pm I believe.

Sunday morning is a NINE-PART symposium on the fruitage of the Spirit. Followed by the Public Talk.

I'd cruise in at Noon on Sunday with a nice big mess of hot, smelly BBQ and savor every bite in front of your fellow sandwich-eaters. Oh wait, you wanted to stay low profile right?

Scratch that.

Shave the beard. Make a PB&J. Look miserable.

You know what I thought might be fun?

Get a little RC helicopter with some inflammatory banner strung out behind it and fly it around and around the auditorium. You could have the controller under your jacket on your lap and act like you're half asleep.

Just a little fantasy that kept me going through Sunday afternoon's session.

om

• MinisterAmos
      MinisterAmos

The helo idea is the balls! I can just imagine half trying to swat it out of the sky, throwing everything from song books to baby Dubs, and the other half trying to find the guy with the control.

OMFG

• mind my own
      mind my own

I wouldn't last 10 minutes. Just can't stomach it anymore...

MMO

• UnConfused
      UnConfused

Terry, try practicing some facial expressions first so you won't give yourself away.

1. The dead eyed numbed mind expression.
      2. The overly cheerful wonderment of meeting that wonderful brother from another congregation.
      3. The furrowed brow look of disapproval for various reasons.
      4. The beaming glow of delight as you sing the song.

That ought to keep you busy for a bit.

• asilentone
      asilentone

Terry, do not bring your old green JW bible!

• jehovahsheep
      jehovahsheep

act like you are taking notes and following along in the bible.you will get many nods of approval.

• knock knock
      knock knock

Carry a big sign that says "Come to the dark side". Oh, wait. They are the dark side. I forgot.

edited to say sorry, didn't read your whole post so didn't see the nix on the sign part.

• chrisjoel
      chrisjoel

What will you do if by some chance someone recognizes you and wants to get your address so the local body of elders can pay you a friendly visit to help you....LOL......I hope that happens..and I hope they visit you so you can have a Friendly chat..lol

• Thechickennest

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit