WT Cult Evolution Over Last 10 Years

by Farkel 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Good post! I am so going to sneek a peek at the latest "dub watchpuker" on my summer visit to my family and if there is anything really juicy, I'll be sure to swipe a copy or two, hehe. I have a scanner and I'm not afraid to use it.

• shamus100
    shamus100
    Elders schools have "secret directives" which are to be written in the margins of their coursework and in the latest incarnation of their super-secret "Flock" book, do they not?

What kinds of things do they write in they're margins? When did they start handing out watchtowers to the pagans of the world and having they're own version?

Always interesting reading you're posts, Farkel. Are you still playing your kingdumb melodies on piano?

• Farkel
    Farkel

shamus,

:What kinds of things do they write in they're margins?

I don't know. They're secrets! (Probably just a bunch of bullshit like everything else.)

: When did they start handing out watchtowers to the pagans of the world and having they're own version?

This is fairly new "arrangement." I think within the last 6 months or a year. Dubs closer to the source will help you out.

:Always interesting reading you're posts, Farkel.

You must be one sick puppy, then!

:Are you still playing your kingdumb melodies on piano?

I did a few irreverant arrangements of them some years ago but not any more. I have this hurling problem when I hear them.

Farkel

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Thanks Farkel... Now I believe in evolution after reading your post...lol.

: When did they start handing out watchtowers to the pagans of the world and having they're own version?

This is fairly new "arrangement." I think within the last 6 months or a year. Dubs closer to the source will help you out.

I've only been out for 3 months... This started in Jan 2008...

I think the next 10 years will bring many fascinating changes to the WT cult...

A@G

• shamus100
    shamus100

Hi Awakened,

How are these different?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    How are these different?

Not an expert on that... I stopped going to meetings regualrly in Sept 2007...

The Private edition has 4 or 5 study articles... and maybe an article of counsel for JWs, not for the public...

• shamus100
    shamus100

Thanks for answering Awakened and Farkel.

That is a major tidbit that I had no idea about - they're keeping the general public in the dark now about the goings-on behind closed doors. Very cult-like indeed!

If anyone has some more info on what these articles are like for the rank and file, and how they differ, would be appreciated.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Recently spoke with a JW who has DA'd. She said that they've installed cameras to watch the parking lot at her KH because "someone's" car was broken into. Oddly, no one at the KH knows anything about anyone's car being broken into. You think this is even more big brother, wanting to see who speaks to whom in case they suspect apostasy?

StAnn

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good post.

I personally feel that the WTS went well on the way to being a cult when Rutherford brought in that only JWs will be saved, and became a cult when Knorr solidified the rules on disfellowshipping in the 1950's.

I take your point that since the big bleed starting 1995 (circa the generation change and mainstream acceptance of the internet), the GB outdoes itself each year in becoming systematically more firmly cultish.

The Private Watchtower was one good indication of a cult, plus the Kingdom Ministry 2007 saying any information from sources other than the GB are not endorsed and the Letter to Elders Apr 3 2007 “RE: Guidelines for Watchtower Study Conductors” which stated that Watchtower studies should not introduce external information as "it often detracts from what “the faithful and discreet slave” has prepared for the congregation. (Matt 24:45-47) The impression may be given that the additional information from the conductor's research is of equal or greater value.”

Another example of increasing cultlikeness is recent information against University.

The good thing about all this is that growth is being adversely affected by the changes. Cults are inherently run by people that are not overly smart, or find their way by trial and error. The GB is finding that these changes are coming back to bite them, and the rebellious nature of people mean that a higher percentage of JWs are getting pissed of and questioning the authority of the GB, and leaving.

• NanaR
    NanaR

Excellent article, Farkel.

We had all those old books at my house. We looked at them and laughed, just as you said. My father, who was congregation servant and then elder, laughed the hardest.

My dad died in 1991. I don't think he would have liked the direction the WTS has taken since then.

Pax,

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit