High gas prices finally changing North American vehicle attitudes

by Simon 60 Replies latest social current

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

kwin:

Obviously you've never been to the carribian ... I've seen families of 4 on those things!

when I was in India 2 summers ago, I looked out from my second floor hotel balcony in the morning because I was awakened by the sound of scooters and motorcycles. I often seen the dad driving a scooter, mom behind him, daughter behind her, and son standing on the floorboard in front of him...kids with their backpacks and school uniforms...mom in her sari, dad in his regular work attire...whole family commuting to work...no cars for them... even in the rain....

I have thought about getting a scooter for around town stuff. I have a Civic and I use it extensively for work...I leave my car idle all day because of the constant start/stop nature of my job...and still get 24mpg.... on the straight out interstate...i still get 42mpg.... I did have to have the transmission rebuilt a year or so ago....but that is rare with Civics....

Snakes (of the "spoiled by $3.85/gal US vs $10/gal gas in Europe" SheepClass)

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    rapidly (my town alone has grown from 9,000 in 1992 to about 70,000 now) that the need

that's the other problem (up to 2 other problems)

Back in the 90's there was a little grown spike in parts of the Rust Belt. Michigan took advantage of that and tossed most of it's new found revenue into school and road work. I imagine Indiana did the same.

Light rail is pretty expensive to build. The state and local govts were playing catch up on all the stuff they could not fix since the 80's bust years.

Even running a bus is a roll of the dice. Do ya'all have a dial-a-ride service? Little busses or vans that dont run routes but are dispatched by demand?

Those programs are uderwritten with tax dollars and dont work well... in the last town I lived in the time window was so large you could ride it..but you would probably be late for everything. That service would run the whole county too. Vastly undersubscribed ...just not reliable for working people.

Up to about 1950 there was a "interurban" railway that ran in several counties in SW Michigan...we still have train tracks next to towns you never hear of... why dont we put those back into service?

Hill

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

it used to be that a pickup sat 3 across... had a 6 cylinder engine and a 3 speed transmission. Airconditioning was model 2-60 (windows open 60 mph).

We refined that a bit in the 60's... 350-454 cubic inches, and maybe a dually axle if you wanted to donate a kidney for trailer rating... plus row a low ratio real-truck 4 speed all day in traffic plus an AM radio that only caught stations at night or close to town.

I dont see much of that now days...see what happens when mom starts drivin your truck.

Hill

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Preaching to the Choir here Simon. What pisses me off is Soccer Moms taking the kids in a Hummer - probably the most outrageous vehicle ever designed (taht is just me)

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I think that the future of solar energy is very exciting. Scientists are in the process of creating a new generation of solar cells using nano-technology. Today's solar cells are about 10%-15% efficient, meaning that they can use 10%-15% of the energy the absorb. The new nano-cells will be up to 50% efficient, which is a 300%-500% increase in efficiency over what we have today.

More efficient solar panels can be incorporated in roof shingles to provide power to households, in auto surfaces to power vehicles, in fact the possibilities are endless. And they will make solar energy an option in less-than-perfect conditions as well. Today, it's not considered cost efficient to use solar energy somewhere the sun isn't shining the majority of the time.

It's time to get inventive! We've got a world full of brilliant people with great ideas, who unfortunately have been squelched by the oil industry for decades. We need to make sure the plausable ideas get funding, and plenty of it, so we can end our dependancy on oil.

GGG

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Simon..Yeah a lot of people drive pick-ups and really have no use for them..........Up in the mountains here,your pretty much screwed without a 4x4..The Mountain roads are very steep..When it snows you won`t get home without a 4x4..The truck is outfitted with a snow plow..So when it snows I can plow the Ranch driveway..The driveway is long and we get about 4ft of snow here in the winter..............When it rains the desert ground go`s from cement to oatmeal..The mud can get pretty deep..The mud will suck a regular vehicle into it,right up to the frame..You won`t get around without a 4x4...................As civilization is a ways away..When you go to town..You make sure you do everything you need to do..And..Buy everything you need,because you may not be back for quite awhile..The back of the pick-up is always full when you come back from town.........The 4x4 truck is one of your best friends in the wilderness............................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm getting a bike...no really I am, its cherry red...I gotta find a pic of it :-)

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Simon

Yes I agree that we have to drop the demand for crude oil. Even if everyone drove 50 mpg cars the demand will still grow as there is to be another 2.5 billion persons yet to come to this planet. the max persons that the planet can sustain seems to be about 9 billion (known as the carrying capacity) The earth is headed for a time of woe never before seen since the creation of mankind . I'm sorry for being so optimistic.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Ok My son was telling me that Solar power may be the way to go...we all have known that...BUT the problem may be that we only catch the orange part of the UV spectum...? So he had me look up some info on National Geographic about Spray on Solar Paint! Interesting! I thought I would share as I read through it.

Enjoy!

Spray-On Solar-Power Cells Are True Breakthrough

Stefan Lovgren
    for National Geographic News

January 14, 2005

Scientists have invented a plastic solar cell that can turn the sun's power into electrical energy, even on a cloudy day.

The plastic material uses nanotechnology and contains the first solar cells able to harness the sun's invisible, infrared rays. The breakthrough has led theorists to predict that plastic solar cells could one day become five times more efficient than current solar cell technology.

Like paint, the composite can be sprayed onto other materials and used as portable electricity. A sweater coated in the material could power a cell phone or other wireless devices. A hydrogen-powered car painted with the film could potentially convert enough energy into electricity to continually recharge the car's battery.

The researchers envision that one day "solar farms" consisting of the plastic material could be rolled across deserts to generate enough clean energy to supply the entire planet's power needs.

"The sun that reaches the Earth's surface delivers 10,000 times more energy than we consume," said Ted Sargent, an electrical and computer engineering professor at the University of Toronto. Sargent is one of the inventors of the new plastic material.

"If we could cover 0.1 percent of the Earth's surface with [very efficient] large-area solar cells," he said, "we could in principle replace all of our energy habits with a source of power which is clean and renewable."

Infrared Power

Plastic solar cells are not new. But existing materials are only able to harness the sun's visible light. While half of the sun's power lies in the visible spectrum, the other half lies in the infrared spectrum.

The new material is the first plastic composite that is able to harness the infrared portion.

"Everything that's warm gives off some heat. Even people and animals give off heat," Sargent said. "So there actually is some power remaining in the infrared [spectrum], even when it appears to us to be dark outside."

The researchers combined specially designed nano particles called quantum dots with a polymer to make the plastic that can detect energy in the infrared.

With further advances, the new plastic "could allow up to 30 percent of the sun's radiant energy to be harnessed, compared to 6 percent in today's best plastic solar cells," said Peter Peumans, a Stanford University electrical engineering professor, who studied the work.

Electrical Sweaters

The new material could make technology truly wireless.

"We have this expectation that we don't have to plug into a phone jack anymore to talk on the phone, but we're resigned to the fact that we have to plug into an electrical outlet to recharge the batteries," Sargent said. "That's only communications wireless, not power wireless."

He said the plastic coating could be woven into a shirt or sweater and used to charge an item like a cell phone.

"A sweater is already absorbing all sorts of light both in the infrared and the visible," said Sargent. "Instead of just turning that into heat, as it currently does, imagine if it were to turn that into electricity."

Other possibilities include energy-saving plastic sheeting that could be unfurled onto a rooftop to supply heating needs, or solar cell window coating that could let in enough infrared light to power home appliances.

Cost-Effectiveness

Ultimately, a large amount of the sun's energy could be harnessed through "solar farms" and used to power all our energy needs, the researchers predict.

"This could potentially displace other sources of electrical production that produce greenhouse gases, such as coal," Sargent said.

In Japan, the world's largest solar-power market, the government expects that 50 percent of residential power supply will come from solar power by 2030, up from a fraction of a percent today.

The biggest hurdle facing solar power is cost-effectiveness.

At a current cost of 25 to 50 cents per kilowatt-hour, solar power is significantly more expensive than conventional electrical power for residences. Average U.S. residential power prices are less than ten cents per kilowatt-hour, according to experts.

But that could change with the new material.

"Flexible, roller-processed solar cells have the potential to turn the sun's power into a clean, green, convenient source of energy," said John Wolfe, a nanotechnology venture capital investor at Lux Capital in New York City.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I would absolutly recommend a motorcycle scooter or trike to ANYONE who is feeling the pinch... Mine has been a lifesaver! It's a big bike (kawasaki nomad 1600) but I still get in the 40's mileage wise. My friend has a suzuki 650 and he gets in the high 60's and he goes everywhere at well over 100mph...

(I've also got an f-150 that I've had for around a year and put about 4500 miles on in that entire time... I'll take my bike if I have a choice rain or shine!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit