High gas prices finally changing North American vehicle attitudes

by Simon 60 Replies latest social current

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I guess there was a thought in my ramblings somewhere? Couldn't this be sprayed onto electic vehicles or something like that? Scooters? I am not a scientist but it seems possible, may look a bit different. Perhaps a pannel of sorts has been tried.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Solar is absolutely the way to go! Solar shingles for your house, windmills if you live near water or anywhere else where there is a breeze.

I've seen plans on the discovery channel for a solar farm in the Nevada desert 100 square miles that would in one fell swoop eliminate ALL fossil fuel, nuclear power, and hydroelectric plants... Would it cost a mint? Hell yes! However if the military was conscripted to provide labor instead of killing people in the middle east and the money that has been pissed away in the deserts of the middle east was spent working in OUR desert we could have done it easy...

Oh WAIT that's right the president is a fucking oil man. I FORGOT!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Hey Simon..Yeah a lot of people drive pick-ups and really have no use for them..........Up in the mountains here,your pretty much screwed without a 4x4..The Mountain roads are very steep..When it snows you won`t get home without a 4x4..The truck is outfitted with a snow plow..So when it snows I can plow the Ranch driveway..The driveway is long and we get about 4ft of snow here in the winter..............When it rains the desert ground go`s from cement to oatmeal..The mud can get pretty deep..The mud will suck a regular vehicle into it,right up to the frame..You won`t get around without a 4x4...................As civilization is a ways away..When you go to town..You make sure you do everything you need to do..And..Buy everything you need,because you may not be back for quite awhile..The back of the pick-up is always full when you come back from town.........The 4x4 truck is one of your best friends in the wilderness............................ ...OUTLAW

We had a forest fire here 2 weeks ago by my house. Close to 1000 acres burned up. The roads got blocked. A lot had to evacuate. A few homes burned down. I had no power or water. I wanted to go into town and spend the night with some air conditioning. I got up the old 4x4 and cut across the state forest on the trails. I would like to see someone do that in a Prius.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I've seen plans on the discovery channel for a solar farm in the Nevada desert 100 square miles that would in one fell swoop eliminate ALL fossil fuel, nuclear power, and hydroelectric plants...

I doubt it. Power transmission losses. Not to mention that you would be putting all your energy eggs in one basket.

BTS

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Aren't most areas in rural areas Germany Solar Farms? (My son's observations) What a way to go if so! I know in Santa Fe where I grew up there are a lot of Solar homes. I want one!! Heck I want this one home. It is an underground home. Kind of like a hobbit home. With Solar. It is so damn beautiful inside. Pretty mint tho. So there you have it. A hobbit home with solar and a veggie run car! Yep that is my goal.

I tell you what, 20 years ago my ex thought I was a nut when I wanted a log end home. Now I see he was just behind the times. Or I was ahead of the game. Or Perhaps I am a bit a nutty!

• lawrence
    lawrence

Thursday night in Toronto the Portugese community went wild in their vehicles, riding the streets beeping horms and screaming. This went on for hours. It didn't appear that gas was 5+ bucks a gallon, or there was a shortage. There was no concern. Hey, their team won. That is enough reason to waste gas and pollute the air. So much for change.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

We step electric voltage up and down all along the interconnected grid system...the ability to managevoltage levels, line length and some other factors come into play but the transmission and Distribution systems in N America run about as effciently as the motors it serves. Power factors in the high 80's are pretty common and pretty good for the plain old wire we push current along on.

Solar and wind are viable sources of power.. the real economic problem is solar and wind areas are usually not close to areas that need the Megawatts.

We could put up wind farms all over the OK panhandle and make a butt load of megs daily... no one wants to spend the money on the transmission system that would get to the areas that would consume it. Solar in Nevada is the same problem... building the transmission line (and thats a whole 'nuther headache) to the load is a big problem.

It's all about fuel mix.. and solar and wind if expaned could be a good partial solution to base-load needs.

Indiviually... for about $3 grand or less I could convert the house lights and single phase motor load to a solar-wind DC voltage system. I could see a payback in about 8 to 10 years and in my area figure 80% reliabilty. I dont know too many people who can cough up cash and wait for a payback.

This is gonna be slow and painful

Hill

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

We step electric voltage up and down all along the interconnected grid system...the ability to managevoltage levels, line length and some other factors come into play but the transmission and Distribution systems in N America run about as effciently as the motors it serves. Power factors in the high 80's are pretty common and pretty good for the plain old wire we push current along on.

You're obviously just a shill for the powerful bumper-car lobby. Work out the steering problems and maybe America will listen to you, until then you're nothing more than a new deal wannabe works-program to get meth-addicted carnies off the street and involved with children.

• minimus
    minimus

Boy, we North AMERICANS are really stupid. I'm glad we have higher gas prices so that my attitude can change and now I can have a true European view.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I'm thinking of getting a scooter that gets 90 mpg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit