Japan Lost 500 Congregations!!!!

by metatron 20 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Do the math:

1998 - 3,802 congregations (1999 Yrbook figure)
    (drum roll, please)

2001 - 3,305 congregations (as per WT observer figures)

The organization in Japan has lost almost 500
    congregations since 1999.

Holy S**t!

metatron

• Derrick
    Derrick

Interesting mystery. Did Japan lose 50,000 publishers between 1999 and 2001 based on the statistic you gave? Consider an alternative possibility. Is it not possible the missing or "lost" 13-percent of the total 3,802 congregations in 1999 were in actuality absorbed into the present 3,305 congregations?

If only 15-percent of JWs in each of the 500 congregations were assigned to each of the 3,305 remaining congregations, then 500 congregations could be absorbed and disappear. Suppose there's an average of 100 Publishers per congregation. If that average number of Publishers was correct, then each of the remaining 3,305 congregations would increase in attentance to 115 Publishers on average.

In any case a 15-percent increase per congregation in Japan by reducing the number of congregations by 500, is a considerable cost savings and reduction in administrative overhead, with very minimal impact on each remaining congregation.

<i>Derrick</i>

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

-- William Blake (Auguries of Innocence)

• ISP
    ISP

There has been a concerted effort to expose the WTS in Japan. Peoples homes have been leaflet'd with anti-WTS stuff and it has taken its toll.

ISP

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Back when I was involved the CO would have demanded an immediate split for any hall of 120 or so.

Now I know it was a golden opportunity for the WTBTS to profit on yet another 'free' hall being built on the backs of the local brothers.

The one I loved was the one hall I attended the CO was pushing for a new hall only 2 years after the old one was quick built, and it was not even close to being filled up. Something to do with the parking lot or some such bunk, though the parking lot was never full either.

• anewperson
    anewperson

I believe J.W. Dugan who is in Japan has said it is a combination of halls being combined and also losses in members due to organized efforts to expose the WTS there.

• gumby
    gumby

WELL I HEARD THE REASON OF THE DECLINE WAS THEY DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE A DECENT HOGIE OR CHEESE DANISH AT THE ASSEMLIES IN JAPAN, AND SO MANY MOVED TO L.A. ONLY TO FIND THEY DON'T SERVE THEM AT ASSEMBLIES ANYMORE AND SO GOT SO PISSED THEY ALL BECAME INACTIVE!!!!!!!!! NOW THERE IS SOME TRUE APOSTATE BULLCRAP FOR ANY LURKERS.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

We need JWD's input here. However, do not women make up the vast majority of JWs in Japan? For a congregation to function it needs at least 3 elders and ideally more. If there is a lack of qualified brothers to assume the elder role then congregation amalgamation is the only alternative.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Moxy
    Moxy

no, most japan cong's function with one or two elders.

but yes, many congregations have been amalgamated recently. i think a very simple part of this is that japan has had such steady and impressive growth for so long that they have tended to split sooner, in anticipation of high growth and know that there has been a relatively sudden decline, they have to switch gears. the problems of lack of interest among youth and a very strong anti-cult sentiment since the Aum Shinri Kyo are of course important factors that have been well covered by JWD and others.

mox

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK, so what are the numbers for the dubs in Japan in the years mentioned?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Last month while visiting RF, he mentioned his COC book was recently released in Japan with 900 books sold initially!!! Lovely. j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit