Some single older women in bad circumstances

by LongHairGal 53 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Why limit our sympathy to women?

There are thousands of men too who have never married in the mistaken belief that Armageddon was around the corner and that it was better to wed "after the battle". They spent their lives in the ministry, preparing meetings ,etc rather than allowing themselves a decent life. After decades window cleaning or office cleaning they wonder how long they can continue as older age sets in , and look forward to a poor retirement on State Benefits.

The false prophet of the end times has let them down, unless you are of the G B in Bethel and get fully looked after

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    Keep studying. You will never regret it even those the last semester or two feels like forever

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions Lady Lee and for posting those links to your papers. I am definitely interested to read them and will do so Sunday when I have some time set aside to give them the full attention they deserve.

I admit I have been discouraged at times trying to work on a degree part time while working and frequently taking semesters off due to illness and finacial reasons. It will quite likely be 10 years for me by the time I first decided to go to university and the time I end up with any kind of credential. Education is definitely a long windy road for some.

Glad to hear you still think it was a worthwhile effort.

Cog

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    Why limit our sympathy to women?

Not to deny that there are any elderly men in this situation in the org, but honestly, in my 40+ years "in the truth", I can not recall one!

In every congregation I have been in, there have been many single, older sisters, who usually associate together and help each other out. They do tend to be somewhat ignored by the rest of the congregation unless they are very outgoing and make all the effort.

Almost all of the older brothers have been married and while I have known a few to be widowed, they have all ended up remarried to a younger sister within a year. Same with brothers who are divorced. The only ones who are single are those who are single by choice as far as I can see. The one or two older brothers I have seen on their own by choice also have not been suffering financial hardship, but are well off. Admittedly, I live in a fairly prosperous area, however, even though that is the case, there are still a great number of older sisters who are having serious financial hardship.

I don't doubt that there is the odd case somewhere, but I just don't see the scenario you painted as a major problem in the org, BB.

• song19
    song19

I can’t help but agree wit you LHG. I know of a few sisters in their 30's and 40's. A good friend of mine, who I have lost touch with, so wanted to get married and kept waiting and waiting to find someone in "the truth". She is a very smart woman. It's my hope that she hasn't contacted me because she left the truth. I hope I can find her some day!

The second woman I know, late 30's recently stopped pioneering. She had been pioneering her entire adult life. Problem is, she still lives at home in her parent’s basement. She was forced to drop out of university way back when and has a mediocre part time office job. I can only image how depressed she is, especially seeing that her younger brother continued with his education, got married, and has a family now. She also has health problems to battle too... She is going nowhere fast... I wish I could shine some light her way, but she is super spiritual and self righteous... it would never fly.

Yup, my heart goes out to anyone still suckered into this cult. I can't believe I didn't see the light sooner...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit