Do the JW's really and truly believe that the end is near?

by TooBad TooSad 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Real JW's Don't think-They repeat

• Liberty
    Liberty

I don't blame the Rank & File JWs for being hypocrytical about the "END" being near as they are just following the leadership's example. The Watch Tower Society has played this game for years, they claim that the worldly governments will turn on religion, including the Watch Tower, and confiscate all the wealth and real estate and then these would be destroyed by ol'Jehoobie at the big "A", and yet the WT Society always has some Ten Year expansion and building plan in the works for their various facilities around the world. The two beliefs are incompatable. They can't use the excuse that these facilities would be used in the "New System" because as the property of Worldly governments these buildings would be as subject to destruction as the Pentagon or White House. A complete contradiction. No wonder the JWs are so bad at acting like they believe the "End" is near.

• journey-on
    journey-on

What I have noticed in my own JW family is that although they continue to spout the rhetoric that the end is near,

they are still preparing for retirement, investing their money, remodeling their homes, buying new cars, etc. etc.

They continue to work (the men and the women), and plan for a future in "this old system", but hope the "new system

comes before they die." I think my family is being reasonable actually. They hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

But, then, most of them, being lifers, DO remember the 1975 fiasco.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Yeah, but I don't think they ever allow themselves to imagine, in graphic detail, just what exactly what the Watchtower version of Armageddon would look like if it were to happen in the real world, i.e., billions of dead bodies being picked apart by the birds. It's all very compartmentalized, for the dub ladies especially. I have a female coworker who is a sorta-JW who is in complete denial on this issue. And she was raised in it. "They don't teach that".

• journey-on
    journey-on

Dan the Man

I can't even begin to imagine my JW sister getting by without her weekly spa treatment, manicures, pedicures,

and hair salon visits. There better be some left over Lady Clairol somewhere because the first sign of gray roots and she

would probably sh*t a cow! I really think they believe Jehovah is going to supernaturally zap all the death and destruction

away and she won't REALLY have to get her hands dirty.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I agree with comment by logic. If you're doing bad, then it is or you hope it's really near. If you're doing good, then you don't care. I know a brother, who owns his own business and changes new cars like underwear. Has a convertible corvette and usually has the latest and biggest everything. When I first met him about 10 years ago, his TV has "grown" from 35' to a whopping 72' flat screen, new hardwood floors. I was happy for him,but I figured I may as well do good things for myself too.

It's things like this that got me to thinking why exactly was killing myself in service when everyone else was living good. The Hall parking lot looks like a BMW/Hummer/etc dealership.

I got tired of hearing if you can do it without missing your meetings then it's ok. Lame

• Jake99
    Jake99

The JW's do not believe enough to lift the veil of a man who says he is the Messiah, they turn the true christ away every time he contacts them. The JW's as well as other religions have a pre concieved notion that a man will come to earth floating on the clouds even though Jesus said that any human could do what he could do. Jesus was a man born of a woman and he demonstrated what the bible of his day said he would do just as I demonstrated what todays bibles say the Messiah will do.The JW's have this idea of a man who can defy the laws of gravity and nature rather than a man with a simple governing system that resolves all earthly problems. The exagerations in the bible were meant to be comparisons which are even more valuable than expected because the miracles performed can be accomplished with nothing more than simple training. What the JW's fail to realize is that the religious books, churches and false prophets will all dissapear when the Messiah is accepted as the leader of this planet. The temple of God is not a man made structure and the way of the Messiah is not man's way.

I find most of the JW's magazine articles to be excellent if only they practiced what they preached and listened to who they call the Son of God rather than the book they read about what witnesses of long ago think they heard. I am the man you are supposed to listen to in the end times when all of mankinds ways have failed and you are ready to wake up and help me rid this planet of Satan's ways.

• amicus
    amicus
    I think more did in 1975 then today

That's my perception as well.

Then 1974/1975 passed and it just wasn't the same anymore when the WTS cried wolf.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I very rarely believed it myself, I just couldn't think about it that way. The thought was never allowed to fully form in my head before being discarded. I imagine that happens to most, like JWFacts said; I've heard many say that even if it wasn't true, it was still the best way to live their life. The problem with that argument is that it's the only way they'll ever try. It's hard to feel sorry for them if they don't even have the guts to think a scary thought through.

No that's not true; I do feel sorry for them. But they're adults.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Many people besides JWs believe the end of the world as we know it is very near (few more years at the most). This includes people of faith (JWs, Baptists, etc.) and people of no particular faith who look at what is developing on the world scene.

The following link is a window into the havoc that is going to be wrought due to the worsening energy situation.. Take time to go to this site and consider the information provided.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Consider some excerpts from this site:

"Are all forms of modern technology actually petroleum products?"

Yes.

It's not just transportation and agriculture that are entirely dependent on abundant, cheap oil.

Modern medicine , water distribution, and national defense are each entirely powered by oil and petroleum derived chemicals.

In addition to transportation, food, water, and modern medicine, mass quantities of oil are required for all plastics, all computers and all high-tech devices. Some specific examples may help illustrate the degree to which our technological base is dependent on fossil fuels

"What does all of this mean for me?"

What all of this means, in short, is that the aftermath of Peak Oil will extend far beyond how much you will pay for gas. To illustrate: in a July 2006 special report published by the Chicago Tribune, Pullitzer Prize winning journalist Paul Salopek described the consequences of Peak Oil as follows:

. . . the consequences would be unimaginable. Permanent fuel shortages would tip the world into a generations-long economic depression. Millions would lose their jobs as industry implodes. Farm tractors would be idled for lack of fuel, triggering massive famines. Energy wars would flare. And carless suburbanites would trudge to their nearest big box stores, not to buy Chinese made clothing transported cheaply across the globe, but to scavenge glass and copper wire from abandoned buildings.

Source

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit