Summer is here and I am Mean Mommie

by mrsjones5 49 Replies latest social family

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

*rolls eyes* My Dear Hubby rented 3 movies, one of them was "Juno". I kindly requested that the children were not to see that movie. Just a moment ago my hubby came down stairs alone and I asked where were the children. Up in our room watching Juno he says. Didn't I ask you not to let them watch that movie? I say. Hubby says it's PG13 and they wanted to see the movie, my oldest is 14 but the rest are 10 and under. Do you let the kids do everything they want? I retort. No, says hubby, you can stop the movie if you want. I go upstairs, shut down the movie and ask everyone to leave the room.

I realize that the movie may be mild for an adult but I'm just not comfortable with my younger children watching that movie, hubby says he will watch it later with the kids...strangely that doesn't make me feel any better.

Josie

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Do you let them watch music videos? James Bond?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

They only watch the music videos I watch...mostly on youtube and they've watched a few James Bonds with their father. But that's all flash and not something they really relate to. Juno hits too close to home right now especially now that my son is dating. Look I don't keep my kids in a bubble but that movie should be watched with an adult in the room and discussions should be had afterwards.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I don't blame you.

I just looked up Juno

Juno(Ellen Page) a 16 year old high school teen suddenly faced with a unexpected pregnancy. That too with with a guy whom she does not consider to be her boyfriend. Her first reaction is to see if it can be made to away like a bad dream. But she is pragmatic enough to realize that she needs to take control of the situation. So she enlists the help of her Best Friend Leah (Olivia Thirlby). She considers Woman's Help center for what she calls "Speedy Abortion". But her friend Su-Chin reminds her just outside the clinic that the fetus probably has fingernails by now. That changes her mind immediately. Together she & Leah find out a Yuppi Couple Mark & Vanessa Loring that are desperate for a child. They find this through Penny Saver ad!

I wouldn't want my child under 10 to be watching stuff regarding abortion etc.

Sirona

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's better than them coming home dumb about pregnancy!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I am with you on this one Mrs. Jones . I don't think that Juno is age appropriate for your youngest children.

However the one that is old enough to date ,well it may actually be just right for his age group .

I saw it and liked it really (since it wasn't my kid prego ) .

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    It's better than them coming home dumb about pregnancy!

I hope you're not assuming that I've kept my children totally in the dark about the process of sex (I haven't). I'm fully aware that they are curious and want to watch something that seems titilating like that movie. I've read the reviews and it seems to be a cool movie but in order for my children to watch it there has to be an adult in the room. My son can watch it and I will consider letting my daughter watch it too but I don't think it's something for my 7 year old or my 4 year old (not that he would be interested anyway).

• Sirona
    Sirona

Your husband should also have the backbone to stand up to the kids himself. He lets them watch it and makes you go into the room to switch it off!

Knowing you had a problem with it he should not have put it on for them in the first place.

As for the content, YES kids need to learn about unwanted pregnancy but NO young kids don't need to see a dramatisation which suggests that "it will be OK cos some rich couple will adopt the baby"...and other such unrealistic stuff.

Sirona

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

As for the content, YES kids need to learn about unwanted pregnancy but NO young kids don't need to see a dramatisation which suggests that "it will be OK cos some rich couple will adopt the baby"...and other such unrealistic stuff.

I think the children can come out learning that there's something to be said about abstinence.

• AnneB
    AnneB

For me this film isn't about teen pregnancy, it's about immature people making major life decisions on their own.

I wouldn't want an immature person to watch it without a mature person on hand to balance the info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit