iPods...what's the big deal?

by White Dove 21 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The only time I listen to my iPod is when I'm at work. I do nightstock at a grocery store, it's not open 24/7 but the sound system is - it plays music and commericals all night long. Boring as hell. I'd rather listen to an audiobook or a podcast than listen to that all night long.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'd opt for ear plugs Mrs. Jones. I really think people don't value silence for the treasure it is.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

To each his own. Earplugs wouldn't do for me...I don't work well asleep.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I try not to drown out the arguments going on in my head constantly. Sometimes I learn something from them. ;-)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

These devices are entertainment. You can put thousands of songs on them, and set them up to play at random. It will be what you like (presuming you put what you like on them). Some people like using them when they are exercising, and they make great distractions when you are at a Grand Boasting Session and need to listen to something other than the boring speaker (and that assumes that you have to be there).

However, I have found that it is not always necessary to have music going all the time. And this goes particularly when you are on a walk in a normally quiet place. It can also be an interesting experience if, while you are driving or riding in a car a long distance, to do some conscious thinking instead of listening to the radio or iPod. Or, working in a place where there is no music. You might even find yourself thinking of things that you couldn't before when you had the music to let your brain coast to.

Now, I am not against these devices. If you are working at a place where there is music going, you do not have the option of having no music. If you like the program, fine. However, if the program is nothing but crap, it can give you a headache or actually dull your thinking or productivity. (And what is "crap" is a highly individual judgment.) In those situations, wearing a headphones can help you get through the shift, create some enjoyment, and might even inspire you in some way. Just don't play them so loud that you cannot hear reasonable sounds around you, because that might create a safety hazard, and it will for sure damage your hearing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    In those situations, wearing a headphones can help you get through the shift, create some enjoyment, and might even inspire you in some way. Just don't play them so loud that you cannot hear reasonable sounds around you, because that might create a safety hazard, and it will for sure damage your hearing.

That is exactly how I use my iPod at work. I don't listen to music on it (though I do have a few albums on there), I listen to podcasts from NPR and other podcasts that I've found on iTunes that I like and audiobooks that I've downloaded from iTunes. I don't break out the iPod until the store is empty at 2am (sometimes earlier if the store is light on customers) and I never put both of my earbuds in my ear (I do have to talk to my co-workers). It helps move the night along and I like it.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Right on MrsJones... I always get This American Life on Monday mornings!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I like that show, I think I'm gonna subscribe it...I already have "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". Have to be careful with that show cuz I tend to laugh outloud when listening...don't want anyone to think I'm crazy.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway
    I like that show, I think I'm gonna subscribe it...I already have "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". Have to be careful with that show cuz I tend to laugh outloud when listening...don't want anyone to think I'm crazy.

I love "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me." You're right about being careful, many times I got caught at work for laughing hysterically. If you like This American Life, I would recommend "Radio Lab" also, similar format with very interesting stories.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks for the tip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit