JW's unwritten dress code and personal appearance standards-FROM WHERE?

by Thechickennest 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gram
    Gram

The white shirts may confuse people -- they may think JWs are actually Morman "Elders" -- in our area, the Morman elders no longer ride bikes, they drive cars.

This is no lie - today I saw a sheep being led down a street in a collar much like a dog. I was in an area that has lots of farm animals and 4H kids. It made me think about how the sheep follow. Remember Dolly the cloned sheep? Well, all those in the "dress code" are clones.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Sorry to say I was an enforcer of some of those rules. Where I was a C.O., in South America, the brothers were mostly poor, and could barely afford one jacket they wore for years. I used bring clothes down to give away, but I would also counsel the brothers to wear the same color pants and jacket if they coud find it.

I really felt that was "unity." I also asked brothers to button up their coats on the platform. Another missionary found a photo of a GB member with his coat unbuttoned on the platform, so I had to give in.

Its sad to think about it now, but I spent many hours making sure the friends were dressed "appropriately" for the assembly.

BF

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

What are dress codes all about?

Luke 11:39 But the Lord said to him, "Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the platter; but inside of you, you are full of robbery and wickedness

• blondie
    blondie

The end of beards and "why" supposedly

*** yb74 pp. 97-98 Part 1—Germany ***For that reason Brother Balzereit asked Brother Rutherford for permission to buy a rotary press. Brother Rutherford saw the necessity and agreed, but on one condition. He had noticed that over the years Brother Balzereit had grown a beard very similar to the one that had been worn by Brother Russell. His example soon caught on, for there were others who also wanted to look like Brother Russell. This could give rise to a tendency toward creature worship, and Brother Rutherford wanted to prevent this. So during his next visit, within hearing of all the Bible House family, he told Brother Balzereit that he could buy the rotary press but only on the condition that he shave off his beard. Brother Balzereit sadly agreed and afterward went to the barber. During the next few days there were several cases of mistaken identity and some funny situations because of the "stranger" who was sometimes not recognized by his fellow workers.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I was told to look for the dress code in the WT & Awakes and that we should imitate the dress of the bro's & sis's pictured.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

One of our COs (won't mention the name but he was a tyrant and not liked by anyone ) came to our cong. for his week long visit. On the Thurs. night, one of the Brothers turned up proudly wearing a new suit that he had just bought , with new shirt, tie and shoes . He was complimented by almost everyone on how smart he looked as the suit was very stylish. After the meeting finished the CO counselled the bro. on his choice of attire as it looked like something one of the Beatles would wear. The bro. was obviously offended as he was relaying to people the comment the CO had made. Everyone was annoyed at his cheek, and told the bro. to ignore him. But the CO must have forced his opinion onto the elders and they had to have a word with the brother. He never wore it again as he caved in and got rid of it.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I don't see the problem. I never go anywhere without my pantyhose on and I always do my gardening in one of my lovely flowered dresses (mid-calf length, of course) and heels. You people just have no fashion sense.

StAnn

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Why Ann, I didn't know you were a Stepford Wife

• viva
    viva

Back in the day when I was a poor college student (big strike against me already), some local brothers decided if a MS or Elder was on the stage they had to be wearing at least a 2 piece suit, a nice jacket and pants wouldn't work if. I told them not to assign me anything then, eventually the PO said that rule was too far.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great topic.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit